Notices

ICE STORM

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

I have one of those propane powere spqce heaters in my garage. Same warning came with it as above. For a couple years I had a CO detector in the garage and the alarm never went off when the heater was on. The only times it did was when I satrted the car for a few seconds. I'm not saying to use it in the house but to me seems safe enough to use it in an emergency witha battery powered CO detector for just in case.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Every Hot tub I have ever owned, has had a drain that you connect a hose to. Also make sure you drain the pumps themselves. They have a small drain **** at the bottom to get the last bit of water out of it.
They do but you create another problem in the winter in that the water has to run somewhere and then freeze up after, which is why I have the suction pump. Most of these spas are made in California or BC and don't take into account issues people might have in northern areas in winter. Most of the drains don't get all of the water out of the system or like mine - are not designed and placed in the system that well so I made up a fitting and hooked it up to my air pump (from my car!) and blow the water out of the jets to make sure I get everything out. I used to run my spa year round but with current hydro rates and once or twice a month use in the winter it just wasn't worth the expense. Plus I'm off to Hawaii shortly for three weeks and didn't want to replicate my last holiday issue with this spa so I drained it. I also find the pumps last a hell of a lot longer if your not running it 24/7 and 365. Some of the pumps don't have a drain - mine is a sealed unit with a ceramic impeller that I rebuilt two years ago. The motors last forever unless you use the spa a lot in high ambient temperatures and even the motors can be rebuilt for $100 - I used a motor re-builder in Hamilton instead of paying $400 for a new one.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Don't use car antifreeze - use plumbing antifreeze available at home dept and other locations.

You'll also want to shut the valves on both sides of the pump and then detach the pump and bring it inside the house. When you get a day where the temp is above 0C for a couple of days you can reinstall and fill the unit up and then prime the pump by short on/off pluses on the power making sure you have the air valve open so you can get the air out. Check that every jet is flowing. It's really hard at this time of the year to ensure that there is no frozen section of ice somewhere in one of the tubes. It's easy to burst a connection in the system which will end your spa experience for the season until you can empty it and lift the spa onto it's side to repair the part. The only other thing that works is running hot water through the system (hose from your tap) with the bottom purge valve open so that the warm water melts any ice and then burping the pump and air lines. I found out all of the tricks after a vacation to Cuba one year in the winter to find the breaker had tripped at some point (we still don't know why) and I had a spa full of solid ice. You have the advantage that you got most of the water out. Next time buy a suction pump to make your life easier.
Thanks Doug. I didnt have any hot tub antifreeze on hand, so I opted to empty it and, with the help of a generator, used the shop vac and a toilet plunger to (hopefully) extract all of the water from each jet. We'll see shortly if that was enough.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
Thanks Doug. I didnt have any hot tub antifreeze on hand, so I opted to empty it and, with the help of a generator, used the shop vac and a toilet plunger to (hopefully) extract all of the water from each jet. We'll see shortly if that was enough.
I think you'll be fine as even if there is a small amount of water left it would have room to expand before it gets solid. I lost a jet (housing split) and part of a line as the tub was full. I actually had more damage once from a mouse that got up through the deck during the winter and made a home inside the insulation chewing on things such as the ozonator line. Now I have a couple of traps inside that I have to remember they are there in the spring or I get a nasty manicure if I forget where they are while doing maintenance...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those looking at setting up the furnace to run off a generator before the next outage, see this video:
Old 12-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

^^ Yup, my BIL the electrician will be doing the exact same thing to my furnace and my mom's tomorrow. He did his about 8 months ago. I would much rather go this route vs the pigtail at the panel discussed in earlier threads as a last resort.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Guess no one camps now a days.
Well...not as much these days since someone invented 'indoors'. And now, you've gotta pay to go camping!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:34 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
The last time I recall an ice storm of this order was when my brother and I with a bed sheet between us skated the 401 for few miles
We were able to get my wife's mother out of Scarborough and into our home near Kingston. T'was a good thing as their power just came back after being out for five days.

A scene nearby:

Last edited by curtisr; 03-06-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
^^ Yup, my BIL the electrician will be doing the exact same thing to my furnace and my mom's tomorrow. He did his about 8 months ago. I would much rather go this route vs the pigtail at the panel discussed in earlier threads as a last resort.
My water heater is already terminated with a plug, so that should be easy to connect to a generator, unlike the furnace, I should take a look at some time and do the wiring change.

Would be nice to stay warm, take a hot shower, and drink hot chocolate in the middle of a black out!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

one of my furnaces already has the outlet on the side, I just made a double male end extension cord and plugged in and had the furnace going.
so my friend called his insurance and was covered by his insurance for $250 each day his house was unliveable, and they said the cheque was already in the mail. I called mine and they will get back to me on Monday.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

^^ How is that possible? if there was no physical damage to the home ie broken hydro stand pipe, frozen pipes etc. I would also assume the payment is less deductible? Just curious is all.....
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

my friend said $250/day when the house was unliveable, no deductible and no receipts required if less than 5 days.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
wxseed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
one of my furnaces already has the outlet on the side, I just made a double male end extension cord and plugged in and had the furnace going.
Guy's don't use a double male extension cord. It is a really bad idea. If the genset is running when you're holding the plug it is energized and you can get zapped. Also, even though you may think the breaker is off you can backfeed the electrical panel and kill the hydro worker who is trying to restore your power. Don't do it !!!

Plus if you burn your house down good luck with the insurance company. Just spend the $100 and buy a single circuit transfer switch and wire it properly.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:14 PM
aviography
Drifting

Interesting, I'm letting my sister know, she's already contacted her insurance company mid this past week about tree clearing and hydro/line repairing costs.

The hydro company finally came by yesterday afternoon to cut the power to their property, the tree clearing people won't be able to start until mid next week at the earliest, with the work estimated to take 5 days to complete, before the power and phone lines can be repaired on their property, so they would be out of their house for at least two weeks.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:59 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by wxseed
Guy's don't use a double male extension cord. It is a really bad idea. If the genset is running when you're holding the plug it is energized and you can get zapped. Also, even though you may think the breaker is off you can backfeed the electrical panel and kill the hydro worker who is trying to restore your power. Don't do it !!!

Plus if you burn your house down good luck with the insurance company. Just spend the $100 and buy a single circuit transfer switch and wire it properly.
Agreed 1,000%, as someone mentioned earlier, this should only be the last resort in an emergency, even then it should ONLY be used with the main breaker at the fuse/breaker panel of your house switched off, such that your house is completely isolated from the rest of the power grid so the hydro workers are not in harm's way with the backfeed.

Last edited by aviography; 12-28-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: ICE STORM