Notices

Porsches in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

oh boy .. using the "army called out" story is a sure Toronto Envy giveaway .. usually exercised by those in the "have not" provinces ...
and the TO drivers as Pilons comment form someone who thinks he is a great driver ? ? ... well i would say lets just move on .... cause now it is just throwing blind insults time ..
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well it won't be the latter if you continue driving it in slush and snow, but that is your right. Its yours, so you have a right to use it as you please. BTW, how long have you owned it?
Alex,
I've owned it for four years and even my tech can't tell it's a winter driven car. Your insistence on preaching what kind of shape other people's car will or won't be in in the future is terribly obnoxious and it shows how little you actually know about how these cars hold up. As you have nothing useful to contribute to this forum and since I'm done reading your drivel, I'm signing off and placing you on my ignore list.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
oh boy .. using the "army called out" story is a sure Toronto Envy giveaway .. usually exercised by those in the "have not" provinces ...
and the TO drivers as Pilons comment form someone who thinks he is a great driver ? ? ... well i would say lets just move on .... cause now it is just throwing blind insults time ..
Well you TO guys are talking about winter driving. Hell if I had that little snow on our roads, so could I.

Well I know one thing, the drivers there couldn't handle the snow, but then I had Hakkas on my rims.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I'm signing off and placing you on my ignore list.
A sign of immaturity!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from the old school philosophy where some cars were made for summer enjoyment and others for winter and snow. Also keep in mind my p is an 81 turbo, very raw and anyone who drives one of these in the rain much less winter puts their own life at risk.

The newer ones you guys have would probably stand much better in the winter but I think even if I had one I would only drive it in the summer, well late April through December (8-9 months). Better piece of mind keeping it away from salt slush snow and other bad winter drivers. To me it's just not worth the risk and deterioration plus I don't think I would have the patience to detail it every weekend just to keep it clean from salt and snow. I have other vehicles that would do a much better job with the snow.
Also it's such a great feeling all winter knowing that spring is coming and the cars will be coming out. Makes me appreciate them more believe it or not and I really don't miss driving them with heavy jackets and cold weather. Something I just don't associate with driving a Porsche but don't get me wrong if money was no object I would love to have a AWD Gallardo for the winter.

Here's an analogy, when your unemployed the weekends are normal days like any other the only difference being that they start with the letter S. When you work for a living you can't wait for the weekends to come.
It can't be said enough......to each their own.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by snasrulla
The lowest form of life! Lower than scum!

One explanation for all of them.....................they were sexually abused by their fathers at a young age especially the one dik at the end
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shemmer
Also it's such a great feeling all winter knowing that spring is coming and the cars will be coming out.
Cars, and/or motorcycles. (BTW, I used to drive one all winter in Montreal where we had serious snow, but it was a beater so I didn't care)

I always looked upon winter like this. The positive aspect of winter is that when we pull out our vehicles in the spring, they feel like new toys all over again...every spring.

Furthermore, I like traction which is what my CR-V on Hakkas has. When the light turns green, I'm gone!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Can't we all just play nice?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Shemmer
Pro

WOO HOO!
I did it!!
Thanks Clive
Old 01-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Sorry guys....the wife and her girl friend (not girlfriend) decided to watch Harry Potter.....I decided to escape here for the time bing....that and a bit of Rye... got me some liquid courage. What I said was just a freindly tab.................. But I'll take the challange up if it's still standing!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Alex,
I think it's a bit pretentious to say that only if you mothball your car for months do you take personal pride in your car. Seriously?...I know you're new to the forum and I hope you're just kidding around and not trying to insult everyone here who doesn't share your views.
FYI: mine's a daily driver, track beast, AND concours winner. Drove it all week in the slush/snow and pulled it into the garage yesterday and detailed it. That's my weekly regimen, year round.

All the best,
P.
(also from the Alps, btw)
Great respect to those who take pride in their cars and try to keep it in as best shape they can (most car enthusiasts do), but an extra bit of kudos go out to those who use it and keep it pristine/concours winner. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well it won't be the latter if you continue driving it in slush and snow, but that is your right...
I'd put my money on Pongobaz, he is the man when it comes to car care,... he drives his car year round and it looks pristine.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Get off the forum and go do some donuts in the snow in your 993.
It's got the right 4x4 suspension for it.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I have an AWD, and I am not suppose to drive it in the snow because it melts?

If you detail your car, and go for an hour drive in the Summer, and then just
pass your finger through the car body, your finger will be black from dust break and
other road dirt; soooo, never drive the car then.

After a snow run, it takes less than 15 minutes and a bucket of warm water to get it shinning again.

Now, what I won't do, is tailgate a truck in the highway while it snows or rains.
nor skip washing it because of laziness.

Quick Reply: Porsches in the winter