Notices

2010 Forza 3 - ALMS / ELMS ... Race Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I finished many races with no rear bumper left because of 'vettes trying to brake as late as the Porsches.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it Phil, and imagine if you're running simulated damages.....you're done !!!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by michel944
That's it Phil, and imagine if you're running simulated damages.....you're done !!!
Actually we did run full damage mode at the beginning of the season, but most of the GT2 guys wanted cosmetic damage only and many ran with full assists. I ran no assists (and that #45 RSR is a bear without TC) because it made it more challenging for me. Greg suggested that I use TC since since most of the 'vette guys were and it was putting me at a huge disadvantage exiting corners.
I didn't really like the way GT2 went this year; no pit stops since tires and fuel don't get affected with only cosmetic damage on and no real repercussions for slamming into the back end of someone to get past them in a corner since you suffer no damage. I love having to plan your pit stop strategy and driving to conserve your brakes/tires. You also need to build and tune your car to work more efficiently. Many of those monster engined 'vettes would have lost in the pits at Lemans on Sunday because of the need to feed those gas guzzlers. The Porsches could have a run a very smart race.
I think that damage should be on regardless of the class. No assists in GT1 and very limited assists in GT2 (only TC and automatic transmission if you want) but no Stability management and NO ABS. Everyone should use a wheel (no gamepads) and run in cockpit view.
I know this would cut out a lot of xbox beginners, but this series should be for advanced (GT2) and Experts (GT1).
Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

^I agree with all that.

I think the qualification race should also be changed slightly and instead of it being a race, the game rule is set to compare lap times.
Race Qualifying
Qualifying will be used to determine Grid order and will be 3 laps of the track to be run prior to the commencement of the race (extremely long circuits: Lemans or the Ring will not have a qualifying race). Cars will be sent off in 5-10 second roll-outs with scoring set by fastest clean lap, damage set on always off. Lobby Finishing Order determines race grid position (fastest clean lap) .

Last edited by jumper5836; 04-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
michel944
Pro

Guys, don't get overly carried away with your obsession for realism ! Maybe traction control is not like real life in this game but the way the RSR acts without it is not better ! The way the in-game car loses traction coming out of a turn in 2nd gear is total bull****. To spin its rear wheels like that with the engine in the back it would need 800 hp !!! But it has 465.....NO WAY !

And by the way, the new GT3-R that was just released for the FIA GT3, Speed GT and Grand-Am series COMES STANDARD WITH ABS AND TCS.......
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Guys, don't get overly carried away with your obsession for realism ! Maybe traction control is not like real life in this game but the way the RSR acts without it is not better ! The way the in-game car loses traction coming out of a turn in 2nd gear is total bull****. To spin its rear wheels like that with the engine in the back it would need 800 hp !!! But it has 465.....NO WAY !

And by the way, the new GT3-R that was just released for the FIA GT3, Speed GT and Grand-Am series COMES STANDARD WITH ABS AND TCS.......
Yes but until they model TCS like real life, the game feeling is much more true to life with out it. This is just an excuse not to modulate throttle or brakes and make it real easy to play having no recourse for using the throttle and brake like a hammer. Not even in real life does TCS act like a magical protector as it does in Forza.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 AM
michel944
Pro

You know what ? I would need a very expensive wheel and pedal assembly to have enough of a comfortable feeling to be able to race without assists. The game pad is very short on feelings. I did achieve faster times in some LB challenges WITHOUT assists, but I had nothing else to think about, I was alone on the track. Stop saying it is faster with assists, I know it is faster WITHOUT assists. But for me, with my pad, it is out of question. I have two teens here, a 3 years old house to pay for, an old Porsche to keep in running order and only one income so I have priorities other than spending $500 to $1000 on a good wheel/pedal kit and seat/support assembly..... I play with the equipment I have and try to have fun while doing so, and no one will tell me in which configuration I should play.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

You know what ? I would need a very expensive wheel and pedal assembly to have enough of a comfortable feeling to be able to race without assists. The game pad is very short on feelings. I did achieve faster times in some LB challenges WITHOUT assists, but I had nothing else to think about, I was alone on the track. Stop saying it is faster with assists, I know it is faster WITHOUT assists. But for me, with my pad, it is out of question. I have two teens here, a 3 years old house to pay for, an old Porsche to keep in running order and only one income so I have priorities other than spending $500 to $1000 on a good wheel/pedal kit and seat/support assembly..... I play with the equipment I have and try to have fun while doing so, and no one will tell me in which configuration I should play.

Ouch $99 bucks in this day and age is a carton of smokes and a case of beer. Times are tuff when.

Your right though no one can tell you what to do, but in a perfect world it would be nice if we were all playing on the same playing field. Myself coming from the PC racing simulation world where the games are more simulation and the racers more of a race car driver attitude has made me into a different type of gamer then what console gamers are.
Hurray Xbox, for your great 8 player racing game with pad controller. Wondering when the next generation of cars will come with pads instead of the old fashioned wheel.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
michel944
Pro

$99.00 ????? What do you buy with that ? If you're talking about the XBOX 360 wheel and pedal I already have one and the kids play with it. Me I can't, it's even worst than the pad !

And I understand that if you come from the PC racing world where just turning in with your car will make you spin, console racing is completely different. That made you too "heavy" and demanding at the other end of the spectrum compared to console players. But you have to adapt Greg, I have nothing personal against you, it's just that you won't change every other player because you want more and more realism ! A game is a game, PC or console , and will never be reality. You know that you lap with your car and I raced different categories for 20 years. When I want the real thing I find a country road and I let go, or I enter a Time Attack event..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
michel944
Pro

And I know what you mean, I recently got GT Legends for my PC and it is another world with 20 + cars on track and very "different" handling......
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

$99.00 ????? What do you buy with that ? If you're talking about the XBOX 360 wheel and pedal I already have one and the kids play with it. Me I can't, it's even worst than the pad !

And I understand that if you come from the PC racing world where just turning in with your car will make you spin, console racing is completely different. That made you too "heavy" and demanding at the other end of the spectrum compared to console players. But you have to adapt Greg, I have nothing personal against you, it's just that you won't change every other player because you want more and more realism ! A game is a game, PC or console , and will never be reality. You know that you lap with your car and I raced different categories for 20 years. When I want the real thing I find a country road and I let go, or I enter a Time Attack event..
Yes $99 for a wheel, nothing else is required unless your really into a stable setup.

My old setup which lasted me since the Xbox360 wheel was sold 4? years, hasn't changed much since I got the new Fanatec wheel. Though I do have an expensive seat ordered but still haven't used it.
My lap times have not gotten faster with the more sturdy wheel. Though it does feel more realistic and I now stopped using my left foot to brake.

Computer desk and Computer Monitor is all I have ever used and don't consider it a part of the setup of a wheel since we all have either big screen tv and couches or chair that we all ready use for the Xbox360.
Yes my chair is on wheels and my pedal move around a bit, I constantly have to position my self and align the pedals during long or in between races.

Yes the wheel is hard to use if your coming from only playing with a pad. Steep learning curve for a few days with at least some hard core time spent learning how to drive.
The wheel takes some much more body and soul, total concentration to work it hard and be fast. Can't you see why is not the same level of playing field. Pads are just to easy to use and honestly isn't much fun since there is no realism and take very little skill to use.

Last edited by jumper5836; 04-07-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM
michel944
Pro

My kids found a way of stabilizing the pedals on the floor but I still haven't found something to attach the wheel to when I'm sitting, using the wheel loose on my knees is impossible for me......maybe some kind of table that would be high enough to go over my knees....If I find a way of stabilizing all this maybe I'll be able to finally use it !

And the cheap basement room TV is used only for games, so I could use the XBox with a flat screen PC monitor then ? It would be a lot cheaper than a flat screen HD TV !
What size is your monitor, and what's the biggest "normal" size available ?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Mine is a 24” I think they are affordable at that price range though it does go up to 27” and probably more.
Benq makes a good 1080p monitor though it does have build in speakers they are not great. I use inexpensive Logitech computer speakers 2 way and a subwoofer.
Here is a Benq for $250 that is 1080p HD (though any lcd PC monitor would do)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...858&CatId=4420

If you using an old non 1080p HD tv now. You are missing a lot, you wouldn’t believe the difference 1080p makes.

My monitor is part of my computer system, the Xbox connects to it with a VGA cable on the back of the monitor and the monitor has an input button to switch from computer to xbox. Also my xbox is the old one, doesn’t have an HDMI output. So I had to buy the MS xbox VGA connector. My computer connects with a DVI cable.
If you have an old computer that only uses VGA and a old xbox then you may have an issue unless the monitor has to VGA inputs.
If you have the new Xbox with HDMI output or a computer with DVI output then your fine.

As for stabilizing the wheel for sitting on a couch, Mark has a cheap work around.

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
OK ... here is my Wal-Mart Special :lol: portable computer table ($19.00 - purchased 2 years ago - so the price might be lower now!) ... modified for Forza 3!

I did not install the under table top keyboard shelf (slides in and out) did need it, plus my legs are kinda long, so my knees would probably have hit it anyways....

I did not install the caster wheels ... so the lower shelf sits directly on the ground ... I used an excercise mat to sit the unit on, so that my wood floor doesn't get scratched ... and the lower shelf is a perfect support structure for the pedles! ... notice the colourful duct tape used to keep the pedles in place....

I switched from using a card table chair ... with extra pillow attached :lol: to a new ottowman that I purchased with my couch and love seat set ... it is very thick and comfortable, which is fantastic for the long endurance races ... but it does not have a back rest ... I might experiment using the actual lounger chair instead ... then I would have back and arm support :lol: ...

Mark
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My kids found a way of stabilizing the pedals on the floor but I still haven't found something to attach the wheel to when I'm sitting, using the wheel loose on my knees is impossible for me......maybe some kind of table that would be high enough to go over my knees....If I find a way of stabilizing all this maybe I'll be able to finally use it !

And the cheap basement room TV is used only for games, so I could use the XBox with a flat screen PC monitor then ? It would be a lot cheaper than a flat screen HD TV !
What size is your monitor, and what's the biggest "normal" size available ?
I don't own a TV, I use my flat screen computer monitor to play on. It's 19" widescreen, and it's great for my needs. There's an adapter cable for the xbox 360 so that you can connect to the VGA port of the computer monitor.

You can get a widescreen 24" monitor from Dell for a few hundred. The best part is you can hook up your computer as well, and swap from the computer screen to the xbox screen at the press of a button! I have my laptop and xbox hooked up to my monitor, so when I use the computer it's 2-screens (which I can't work without now) and when I use the xbox my computer becomes 1 screen, so I can still have rennlist open while I play!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...s=dhs&~ck=anav

EDIT: looks like we posted similar things at the same time Greg!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
michel944
Pro

I have an old fashion 19" lamp TV !!! The big HD is on the first floor in the living room, no XBox there.

Quick Reply: 2010 Forza 3 - ALMS / ELMS ... Race Schedule