chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
ask a porsche mechanic.
Your speaking to one While most of the work I do on these cars involve noisy air cooled iterations, I do a some work on 996 and 986 which, as you should know, share many parts. The water pumpers are very easy to work on, very!

This says a few things to me, speaking with a background in manufacturing expensive racecars-- Simpler=less expensive to manufacture=less expensive replacement parts=platform or component sharing and the list goes on. A great example is the use of bolts instead of studs. Have a look at the lug bolts on your car My goodness, the lug bolts are a cheap bolt with a swaged, tapered washer! This is PURELY an effort in part count reduction, or in other words, maximizing profit!

Do I like to see PORSCHE profitable, most certainly!! But at the expense of compromised quality, not really.

Like I have said many times - Does the latest from Porsche offer increased performance -- you betcha! And it should. Are the 997's great looking, absolutely! Especially the styling cues brought from the 993
Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Are the 997's great looking, absolutely! Especially the styling cues brought from the 993
Most definitely! FINALLY no more integrated turn signals! Seems petty, but they bug me.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your speaking to one While most of the work I do on these cars involve noisy air cooled iterations, I do a some work on 996 and 986 which, as you should know, share many parts. The water pumpers are very easy to work on, very!

This says a few things to me, speaking with a background in manufacturing expensive racecars-- Simpler=less expensive to manufacture=less expensive replacement parts=platform or component sharing and the list goes on. A great example is the use of bolts instead of studs. Have a look at the lug bolts on your car My goodness, the lug bolts are a cheap bolt with a swaged, tapered washer! This is PURELY an effort in part count reduction, or in other words, maximizing profit!

Do I like to see PORSCHE profitable, most certainly!! But at the expense of compromised quality, not really.

Like I have said many times - Does the latest from Porsche offer increased performance -- you betcha! And it should. Are the 997's great looking, absolutely! Especially the styling cues brought from the 993
if your main point is lug bolts im sorry i aint buying it. what porsche shop do you work at? are you factory trained?
the 996 and 997 cars are stronger cars, more torsional rigidity and safety and performance as you mentioned.
since 2000 i have owned 4 brand new porsches, boxster, carrera 2 with x51 motor,GT3 and now 997S. i have never had a part failure or quality problem. thru street and track miles. nothing. if you like 993 thats one thing. but the cars are not better built
Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by togueep3
not when, WHO...nevermind
im sure ferry porsche would have moved on and embraced new technology was my point
Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by jumper5836
sorry not inspiring, not even close. i would take any model tt over it any day. hell I would take a cayman s over it.
now that is brand blindness. a cayman S over a ford gt??
Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

yes...if it was quoted in 1973 it must be true. do you wear bell bottoms and enjoy women with massively hairy crotches as well??
LOL!!

Ford GT have soul to me too... Get one!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by PierreTT
LOL!!

Ford GT have soul to me too... Get one!

working on it
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

if your main point is lug bolts im sorry i aint buying it.
Have you at least looked at a 993? Feel the leather? Shut the doors? Yessiree, they are old school interiors with old school ergos with clunky doors, the whole lot. And not perfect cars by any means - they have their quirks.

..and no, my point isnt just lug bolts -- it was just an example that I thought you could understand. Guess I failed to explain it clearly enough.

If memory serves, arent you the guy who once stated the 997 outperformed the 996GT3? Dont believe everything you read in magazines such as Road & Track...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Have you at least looked at a 993? Feel the leather? Shut the doors? Yessiree, they are old school interiors with old school ergos with clunky doors, the whole lot. And not perfect cars by any means - they have their quirks.

..and no, my point isnt just lug bolts -- it was just an example that I thought you could understand. Guess I failed to explain it clearly enough.

If memory serves, arent you the guy who once stated the 997 outperformed the 996GT3? Dont believe everything you read in magazines such as Road & Track...
i have driven many 993 and they feel like junk. just like any older car does compared to new. ( the C2S and C4S versions look very nice lowered though).
and please find where i said 997 performed better than 996GT3. i owned both and know the difference, nice try. and i stand by my comment that 993 ers are wacko..pabio felt the need to PM me to stop calling 993'ers unrealistc...little insecure about his car i guess. and look at all the US rennlisters jumping on the canadian forum to defend their 993. who was the nerd who pm'ed everyone to pile on?
resale is great on 993...i dont dispute that. but the car is not better than a new porsche in fact every year the porsches improve and are a little better than the year before. thats the only point..i guess porsche became the most profitable car maker in the world by selling worse cars now than 10 years ago. sounds like it makes sense
heres old pabios insecure rant:
"it is very disrespectful for you to say that 993ers are the most unrealistic bunch around. do you even know that the price of 996 are now almost matching of good 993 in the second hand market? stop making insulting comments to the 993 people. but then again stupid people make stupid comments. "
NOT ONE MENTION OF BUILD QUALITY ONLY RESALE

993 **** police??
Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

now that is brand blindness. a cayman S over a ford gt??
No I am not blind to the brand. It would take a Z06, Lambo, Ferrari, Audi R8, Elise, Aston and few others over it.
Though I would take it over a Charger or a Mustang and maybe a Viper. I guess you can tell now how much I think of it.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

What are we talking about here?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes...if it was quoted in 1973 it must be true. do you wear bell bottoms and enjoy women with massively hairy crotches as well??

Please do not talk about your fashion sense and sexual proclivities.

By making your arguments it clearly shows your mind is closed worse than 993 owners.

Of course the dealership is going to say the 996 and 997 are superior. All they have to do to repair them is replace the motor. Plus alot of the techs in dealerships were still in Middle school when the 993 was introduced.

I am part of the 993 Mafia and proud of it.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

and please find where i said 997 performed better than 996GT3.
I'll quote you here, from this thread:
i have run my GT3 hard at tracks all over canada and eastern US. i had it set up very aggressively even running cat and muffler bypass pipes. my point is it was run as a track car only and was set up as close as i could get it to a race car within reason.The car felt very fast, stuck like glue and braked very well. the 997S feels great too in a tighter but more comfortable way.
last night i read in road and tracks car test section that according to their independent tests the 997S beats or equals the GT3 in almost every category. 997s is faster 0 to 60, 0 to 100 they are equal,quarter mile 997S is faster,cornering g the 997S is at .98 and the GT3 at .92. The 997S brakes much shorter from 80 and 100 MPH.sooooo....
before i even lower it,run fikses with pilot cups and get a more agressive alignment its already ahead. how is that possible and if that is possible why is it slower around the nurburgring?

Step awaaay from the magazines.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

i have driven many 993 and they feel like junk. just like any older car does compared to new.
With such high quality descriptions like that, maybe you should write car reviews for Road&Track -- Sheesh..
Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

pabio felt the need to PM me to stop calling 993'ers unrealistc...little insecure about his car i guess. and look at all the US rennlisters jumping on the canadian forum to defend their 993. who was the nerd who pm'ed everyone to pile on?
heres old pabios insecure rant:
PM means P R I V A T E MESSAGE. Posting a PM in a public forum is not very mature or considerate. Grow up.

Quick Reply: My first and last visit to the Dealer