Sponsored by:

sold GT3 bought 997S

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sold GT3 bought 997S

i have run my GT3 hard at tracks all over canada and eastern US. i had it set up very aggressively even running cat and muffler bypass pipes. my point is it was run as a track car only and was set up as close as i could get it to a race car within reason.The car felt very fast, stuck like glue and braked very well. the 997S feels great too in a tighter but more comfortable way.
last night i read in road and tracks car test section that according to their independent tests the 997S beats or equals the GT3 in almost every category. 997s is faster 0 to 60, 0 to 100 they are equal,quarter mile 997S is faster,cornering g the 997S is at .98 and the GT3 at .92. The 997S brakes much shorter from 80 and 100 MPH.sooooo....
before i even lower it,run fikses with pilot cups and get a more agressive alignment its already ahead. how is that possible and if that is possible why is it slower around the nurburgring?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
i have run my GT3 hard at tracks all over canada and eastern US. i had it set up very aggressively even running cat and muffler bypass pipes. my point is it was run as a track car only and was set up as close as i could get it to a race car within reason.The car felt very fast, stuck like glue and braked very well. the 997S feels great too in a tighter but more comfortable way.
last night i read in road and tracks car test section that according to their independent tests the 997S beats or equals the GT3 in almost every category. 997s is faster 0 to 60, 0 to 100 they are equal,quarter mile 997S is faster,cornering g the 997S is at .98 and the GT3 at .92. The 997S brakes much shorter from 80 and 100 MPH.sooooo....
before i even lower it,run fikses with pilot cups and get a more agressive alignment its already ahead. how is that possible and if that is possible why is it slower around the nurburgring?

Cause Road and Track is FOS!!!

J/K, I think the S is a great car, with an aero kit its awesome looking.......I will consider one later on. But right now its simply not for me. Can you lower it with the PASM and other gadgets? Seems you might have some wiring problems??
Old 08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it hard to believe the S is faster than the GT3 in any performance category.

Having said that, in the hands of your average driver, there is probably very little difference, indeed you might be quicker around the track in the S.

Both great cars.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Those R&T braking tests are totally irrelevant for track work. When was the last time you braked to a complete stop on a track (other than to stop for road hazard)? Track braking is all about repeated stops. The GT3 has better 6-piston brakes with less weight to stop. The PASM system is also not nearly as capable as the GT3's coilovers and adjustable swaybars on the track. Now, that's all before we even get into the issue of the GT3's dry sump motor...
Old 08-15-2005, 06:07 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by GT3BB
I find it hard to believe the S is faster than the GT3 in any performance category.

Having said that, in the hands of your average driver, there is probably very little difference, indeed you might be quicker around the track in the S.

Both great cars.

i find it hard to believe too but pick up a road and track and look at performance stats in the back. cornering and braking really surprised me the most.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by GrantG
Those R&T braking tests are totally irrelevant for track work. When was the last time you braked to a complete stop on a track (other than to stop for road hazard)? Track braking is all about repeated stops. The GT3 has better 6-piston brakes with less weight to stop. The PASM system is also not nearly as capable as the GT3's coilovers and adjustable swaybars on the track. Now, that's all before we even get into the issue of the GT3's dry sump motor...
yes but that doesnt change the fact that the 997S has better performance stats in almost every area. i think acceleration ,braking and cornering g's are all very relevent .thats all my point was
Old 08-15-2005, 06:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes but that doesnt change the fact that the 997S has better performance stats in almost every area. i think acceleration ,braking and cornering g's are all very relevent .thats all my point was
I'll be very interested to hear your personal laptime comparisons when you visit the same tracks where you lapped the GT3. Please let us know how it goes. The 997S is a very nice car.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolo
Cause Road and Track is FOS!!!

J/K, I think the S is a great car, with an aero kit its awesome looking.......I will consider one later on. But right now its simply not for me. Can you lower it with the PASM and other gadgets? Seems you might have some wiring problems??
many have lowered them and apparently the springs work with PASM. un plugging and going with coilovers might be another story
Old 08-15-2005, 06:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I assume from your screen name that you had/have a Noble. How does it compare?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:22 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by GrantG
I assume from your screen name that you had/have a Noble. How does it compare?

nah....noble is the name of my horse and he is better than anything else!!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

nah....noble is the name of my horse and he is better than anything else!!
Oh, ok - that's very different - one horsepower
Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 PM
frayed
Race Car

" sold GT3 bought 997S" so you did this or are considering it.

Here's a cut and paste from a fella who owns and tracks both:

"The GT3 is definitely a better track car. The 997S is a little too soft, and has too much body roll. The turn-in on the GT3 is quicker and better for the track, ( but the new vari-ratio steering of the 997 is also very nice on the track.) The 997S is also a little heavier. The GT3 feels light, and more raw. I like the engine on the GT3 better so far. It seems to pull harder than the 3.8 in the 997. I also like that the suspension is fully adjustable, out of the box, on the GT3.

I wrote up a track report a few months ago on the 997S before I had my GT3. In comparison, the GT3 is also planted well, and has good power throughout the track. Side-to-side transitions are better in the GT3 (due to soft susp on the 997).

In summary, if you want a track toy, the GT3 is it. If you want more of a daily driver car, the 997S would fit. Surprisingly, after I got the GT3, I found I was driving that for daily drives because I like the feel of it."
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 PM
JTW
Instructor

C'mon, they're two different animals. Both great cars, but we can't look at (dubious?) sterile comparisons of technical or performance data and make determinations about the real world character of two very different cars. American car mags generally suck and their findings and stats can sometimes be wildly divergent relative to each other. It's not unreasonable to question their methodologies. Let us know how much better the 997S gets around the track in all the relevant performance categories.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:48 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NOBLEGT3...did you trade in your old car to Pfaff? I heard they had a white one and contacted them but it's sold already!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:51 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by PbPedis
NOBLEGT3...did you trade in your old car to Pfaff? I heard they had a white one and contacted them but it's sold already!

yup

Quick Reply: sold GT3 bought 997S