Notices

My first and last visit to the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christien
I'm sure that's already the case in a few pristine examples of 993TT. Bruce Anderson's column in the Jan (?) Excellence noted 993 prices are finally started to drop, and charted a small decline in prices over the last couple years.

I agree the 993s are definitely special, but I think the build quality of the 996s just emphasizes that. Weren't 996's the first "mass-produced" 911? Porsche is not exempt from mistakes, and prices reflect that - midyears and 996s stand out in my mind. I think when the 997 was released it put them back on track, triggering a quick shift from 996 to 997, hence the drop in price. The 993 has been called the perfect Porsche, so put it next to the (comparitively cheaply-made) 996 and the difference is all the more striking.

anyone who says 993 are built better than 996 is deluded. i have had this conversation with porsche mechanics. every year the cars get better and stronger. the whole 993 market is a nutso fantasy silly world. 993 are nice cars but old cars and 993 TT are **** compared to a 996TT, PERIOD.No matter what the pricing says. some jackass just spent 5 million on shelbys 427 cobra supersnake. are you telling me its the best made cobra out there by millions of dollars extra? perception is reality unfortunately and 993'ers are the most unrealistc bunch around
Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm going to Pfaff today to pick up a 7 dollar water pump stud for a 944 that i ordered over the phone..

ive never been to a porsche dealership, this should be interesting...

Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
993 are nice cars but old cars and 993 TT are **** compared to a 996TT, PERIOD.No matter what the pricing says.
Supply & Demand... Welcome to capitalism... ...

Sorry for hijacking
Old 01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Supply & Demand... Welcome to capitalism... ...

Sorry for hijacking
absolutely...but my point was that 993 arent better built in any way than 996,997 etc. its a dream of the 993 preople who believe it
Old 01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

absolutely...but my point was that 993 arent better built in any way than 996,997 etc. its a dream of the 993 preople who believe it
A majority of people buy a car with a big percentage of their decission base on "LOOKS" . The 993 has that beat PERIOD !!! Car collectors pay big bucks for older Cobras for the passion they have for it not necesscarily for it`s performance . If you want a car for it`s performance and not it`s looks by all means get a 996 or 997 .
Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Why stop there? If all you're looking for is performance, surely you can find something that will outperform a 997. GT3? GT3RS? Ferrari? Lambo? etc. Hell, for way less money you could probably start with something Japanese or American and build it up.

I think what the 993 offers is a complete package. If I had $75K to **** away on any car I wanted, it'd be a either a 993 or a 930 cabrio. It's got enough power to keep me happy, reliability (except that one seal issue), comfort, sound (engine, not stereo!), looks, and something special in it that makes my heart skip a beat. The 996/997 has the first 3, but IMO is sorely lacking in the last 2. Totally subjective, yes, but that's where my money would go. And apparently (unfortunately!) I'm not alone.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:06 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I was at the Shelby Museum in Vegas last week and was drooling all over the cars. I really love the Cobra, but mainly because I know the full story behind it and I respect that crew for what they did in the 60's.

That said, now that the snow has melted off the side streets where I live, I think I'll hop in my 996 GT3 and go for a nice ride. I sure hope I don't hurt your eyes if you see me out there.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
A majority of people buy a car with a big percentage of their decission base on "LOOKS" . The 993 has that beat PERIOD !!!
uhh...you have heard the saying: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? While I agree that a 993 is beautiful (as are all iterations of the 911), I think it's foolhardy to make such a blanket statement on something that is very subjective.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
uhh...you have heard the saying: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? While I agree that a 993 is beautiful (as are all iterations of the 911), I think it's foolhardy to make such a blanket statement on something that is very subjective.
That`s not really my feelings it was "tongue in cheek " to NOBLEGT3 blanket statement " 993`ers are the most unrealistic bunch around " I am sure you have a sense of humor right ? Cheers
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Why stop there? If all you're looking for is performance, surely you can find something that will outperform a 997. GT3? GT3RS? Ferrari? Lambo? etc. Hell, for way less money you could probably start with something Japanese or American and build it up.

I think what the 993 offers is a complete package. If I had $75K to **** away on any car I wanted, it'd be a either a 993 or a 930 cabrio. It's got enough power to keep me happy, reliability (except that one seal issue), comfort, sound (engine, not stereo!), looks, and something special in it that makes my heart skip a beat. The 996/997 has the first 3, but IMO is sorely lacking in the last 2. Totally subjective, yes, but that's where my money would go. And apparently (unfortunately!) I'm not alone.
+1
Last year I was in the mkt for a daily driver. The 996 was the obvious choice. Leaving the styling aside for 1 second it outhandles, outbrakes, outpowers the 993. It has better air conditioning, better luggage space, better rear seats abitability (important for me as I carry the kids in there), better stereo etc...

But I bought a 993. And it was not cheaper.
To me the 996 is missing that hedge (that the 993 lacks when compared to a 911 for that matter) that I was looking for, that noise from the flat 6, that smell of oil that never goes away... The 993 still gives you the 911 experience.

The 996 is a better car, period. But sometimes that is not what we are after, is it?

My wife is now looking for one too... Guess what? 97 C2S.... Isn't that one the stupidest of all 993s? Costing a fortune and not giving you anything in terms of perfomance over a C2?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

performance wasnt mentioned but is obviously on your mind. 996 ,997 are better than 993. better built, engineered,designed etc etc. all the 993 wackos love to believe they are driving superior cars. they arent. you might like its looks..but it isnt better
Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

performance wasnt mentioned but is obviously on your mind. 996 ,997 are better than 993. better built, engineered,designed etc etc. all the 993 wackos love to believe they are driving superior cars. they arent. you might like its looks..but it isnt better
I fully disagree (but then, I'm sure you'd say, I would). I'll probably get shot by the 993 crowd for saying this, but objectively, 997s are better cars. Faster. Smoother. More normal. Ahhhh... but they're missing something - soul.

I had the option to buy either a 993, 996 or 997, as well as quite a few other cars. I ended up buying a 993, not because it was the fastest, most comfortable or 'best' (read 'most predictable') handling. Hell... we're talking about a car with raingutters, ergonomics from the 1960s, and floor-mounted pedals attatched to WOOD for god's sake! The car's even going so far as making me crimp with pain every time I drive it (see "Question for RHD 993 owners" in the 993 forum).

And yet I love my car more than I can say, and believe it to be the BEST for me. It is quirky, unusual, and the summation of nearly 40 years of air-cooled 911 evolution. Seminal, uniquely honest (no italicised scripts, useless 'design flourishes' or computer systems here), and by the standards of today, rare. And that makes it supremely special.

If I don't get the seat sorted out, I may have to give up my beloved 993, and if I do, I'll probably get a 997 of some sort (the Ruf R Kompressor seems to fulfill my wish-list at a reasonable price). But this would be a last resort as, for me, the 997 may be 'better', but the 993 is, and always will be, the best.

Now let's agree to disagree and hug it out bitch
Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Different people – different flavours, thank god! That’s what makes a market
Nearly all newer sports cars can blast past my car … oh well! I didn’t buy
my car to be the fastest on the block. I bought it because my car in particular
spoke to me, just like yours speaks to you.

So basically why should anybody care whose car is better built?

I’ve been thinking about it, and if pressed, I would have to say my favourite
flavour of ice cream is chocolate. But I really love sorbets…
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
I fully disagree (but then, I'm sure you'd say, I would). I'll probably get shot by the 993 crowd for saying this, but objectively, 997s are better cars. Faster. Smoother. More normal. Ahhhh... but they're missing something - soul.

I had the option to buy either a 993, 996 or 997, as well as quite a few other cars. I ended up buying a 993, not because it was the fastest, most comfortable or 'best' (read 'most predictable') handling. Hell... we're talking about a car with raingutters, ergonomics from the 1960s, and floor-mounted pedals attatched to WOOD for god's sake! The car's even going so far as making me crimp with pain every time I drive it (see "Question for RHD 993 owners" in the 993 forum).

And yet I love my car more than I can say, and believe it to be the BEST for me. It is quirky, unusual, and the summation of nearly 40 years of air-cooled 911 evolution. Seminal, uniquely honest (no italicised scripts, useless 'design flourishes' or computer systems here), and by the standards of today, rare. And that makes it supremely special.

If I don't get the seat sorted out, I may have to give up my beloved 993, and if I do, I'll probably get a 997 of some sort (the Ruf R Kompressor seems to fulfill my wish-list at a reasonable price). But this would be a last resort as, for me, the 997 may be 'better', but the 993 is, and always will be, the best.

Now let's agree to disagree and hug it out bitch
hug it out bitch.....i like that....hopefully you were wearing pants ehen you typed this. anyway..fair statement but i still dont get it. or maybe i do as im lusting after a ford gt
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anyway..fair statement but i still dont get it.
With your mind closed, you never will

ZP44

Quick Reply: My first and last visit to the Dealer