Notices

EV prices +10-15%

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 10:22 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
With EV sales now at 7% and climbing rapidly, clearly they were wrong in using such absolute words like "never".
Strange that I do not see 7% of them in cities and certainly not even close to that on highways while looking at oncoming vehicles. And trust me, you cannot miss a Tesla 3 as the front end reminds me of a catfish.

But good news is on the way as the the company in China who makes the battery for the Tesla has come up with a much cheaper alternative. And at 0:27 they talk about the environmental impacts of Lithium extraction which of course is not for us in North America where we live in a glass bubble, an issue.

And when you surf YouTube, I found this to be hilarious. They should have had "follow the science" Justin Trudeau there to answer the question, the guy that flunked out of university. LOL
Old 04-16-2023, 10:37 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts

EV sales data comes from government issued VIN's and new vehicle registrations.

Of course sales of EV's is not uniform across all cities and towns so you might not see many in your particular area. I see lots of EV's here on the east coast. I have no reason to doubt the sales figures but if you are a conspiracy theorist then I suppose you could argue that the government is faking EV sales data.

I tend not to pay much attention to youtube vids where the author gets paid by the number of hits. I rely on peer reviewed scientific studies and can agree that battery technology is constantly advancing and improving both on energy density, costs and environmental impacts.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:03 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

EV sales data comes from government issued VIN's and new vehicle registrations.
Maybe in the US where consumers have far more spending money and EVs are cheaper.

I tend not to pay much attention to youtube vids where the author gets paid by the number of hits.
Well in this case, these are government inquiries, much like this one

Getting the news off CBC or any main stream news is certainly no better. Hell, people believe advice they get on Rennlist from members or vendors that know nothing about batteries for example. LOL

Last edited by IXLR8; 04-16-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:24 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Ah but let's address the elephant in the room. Where would market share be without the fat government rebates that have been around for years. Like I said theres a place for them but they will always be merely a niche segment in the global ownership vehicle total volume context.
The following users liked this post:
997turbocab (04-19-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 01:55 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Ah but let's address the elephant in the room. Where would market share be without the fat government rebates that have been around for years. Like I said theres a place for them but they will always be merely a niche segment in the global ownership vehicle total volume context.
I chose the BMW i4m50 even though it didn't have any gov't rebates for me since I'm in Ontario. I hummed a little bit at the i4e40 version, but settled on the m50 because of the AWD/ crazy power, and barely fit into my allotted spending limit. It is "my" 1st AWD vehicle. Wife has had 2 q7's and a CRV in the past.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:25 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Not sure that that is the elephant in the room.

For sure, it would be lower. I think that some will pay the premium for the perceived environmental benefits but many, like me, look at EVs from a cost benefit perspective. For me, the incentives brought my eGolf down to about the same price as the corresponding Golf, and since it basically runs for free, it was a no brainer. Payback versus the premium without incentives would have been about 4 years - still makes sense but not a no brainer. With the incentives the savings could even justify keeping an extra car on the road for those rare occasions where 240km range isnt enough. But Im in BC were gas is more expensive, which makes the economic argument easier.

Most wont pay the premium for environmental reasons alone but since every second car on the road is either a nice Tesla or a Taycan, it seems that almost everyone will pay the nice car premium. I saw two Taycan Sport Turismos last week that were incredible!

I dont think that Im much different than any of you in that I love ICE...But Im on my second electric car and I can say that its a dramatically better solution for almost everyone on most days than ICE. I cant imagine not having at least one electric car but I also cant imagine that my "fun" car wont always be gas. That said, I swore that my "fun car" would always be manual and look at me with the paddles......lets see how that experiment goes.....

Gas cars are going away. Just think about it - harvest hydrocarbons from the ground, inject gas into a cylinder, add fire, create explosion to push driveshaft forward, generate a ton of heat (wasted energy) and emissions (bad) - the whole concept is terribly inefficient and is flawed....
Old 04-17-2023, 01:56 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Strange that I do not see 7% of them in cities and certainly not even close to that on highways while looking at oncoming vehicles. And trust me, you cannot miss a Tesla 3 as the front end reminds me of a catfish.
7% of new car sales. Not cars on the road.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
every second car on the road is either a nice Tesla or a Taycan
Really? LOL Lord, are you ever delusional. I hardly see them on the road.

Gas cars are going away. Just think about it - harvest hydrocarbons from the ground, inject gas into a cylinder, add fire, create explosion to push driveshaft forward, generate a ton of heat (wasted energy) and emissions (bad) - the whole concept is terribly inefficient and is flawed....
I guess you never thought about electricity production world-wide. Coal, nuclear...I guess that is what happens when we want that "feel good" feeling and live in a plastic bubble.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:22 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Exaggerating re every second car but it’s A LOT. I guess it depends where you live. Almost every house within a block of my house has one electric car. I’d say 80% of houses. I know that EVERY house on my 5 house Court does. But I live in West Vancouver which has the highest per capita households of EVs in Canada. Perhaps my population is biased but if you rarely see them, your sampling is equally biased. I see hundreds of EVs a day on my 2x 20km commute each day though Vancouver. Hundreds.

gas cars are going away. It will take longer in many areas and it won’t be in my lifetime for some, but they’re on their way out. If you believe that gas stations will be plentiful in 50yrs you are being naive.

Gas stations are already thinning out in Vancouver. Many are selling the land for development because it’s worth more than future gas profits.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:13 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Exaggerating re every second car but it’s A LOT. I guess it depends where you live. Almost every house within a block of my house has one electric car. I’d say 80% of houses. I know that EVERY house on my 5 house Court does. But I live in West Vancouver which has the highest per capita households of EVs in Canada. Perhaps my population is biased but if you rarely see them, your sampling is equally biased. I see hundreds of EVs a day on my 2x 20km commute each day though Vancouver. Hundreds.

gas cars are going away. It will take longer in many areas and it won’t be in my lifetime for some, but they’re on their way out. If you believe that gas stations will be plentiful in 50yrs you are being naive.

Gas stations are already thinning out in Vancouver. Many are selling the land for development because it’s worth more than future gas profits.
Agreed. In GTA I'm often surrounded by 3-4 Teslas. LOL. The drive to and from the cottage...again...tons of them. Just everywhere.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:31 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I drove into work (in my gas car!) between this and my last post. For sihts and giggles I counted the Teslas - just Teslas and I didnt count the hoards of Bolts, Konas, eGolfs, etc.... It was not rush hour and so I probably saw 1/4 of the cars I would otherwise.

Plus, Im sure I missed a ton as I was....driving.....

29 Teslas in about 25 minutes and 20.0 km, including three that are visible from my parking spot at work within my small underground parking. Not rush hour....pretty smooth sailing into work.....

Ignoring the few gas stations that are situated in the immediate vacinity of my work, There is only one convenient gas station on the drive in (and I have to exit the highway for it). I have been growing concerned about the gas station situation for a few years.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If you believe that gas stations will be plentiful in 50yrs you are being naive.
I also did not make that claim, but then I am not living in la-la land.

By the way, its funny you didn't address my last comment about how they produce electricity. Time to take those blinders off. LOL

This is better than an oil thread.

Last edited by IXLR8; 04-17-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:24 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I also did not make that claim, but then I am not living in la-la land.

By the way, its funny you didn't address my last comment about how they produce electricity. Time to take those blinders off. LOL

This is better than an oil thread.
We sell so much electricity to the US that its irrelevant. Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Other nations that might not have the infrastructure will find a way when they need to find a way and when it makes sense. You sound like someone in the 60's saying that people cannot go to the moon because there is no vehicle capable of getting humans to the moon. You sound like Blockbuster who kept saying that online movies wont take off because homes dont have the bandwidth.

Solar will improve. Efficiency of EVs will improve. The grid will be bolstered significantly. Availability of electricity will not be the limiting factor to EV adoption.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

We sell so much electricity to the US that its irrelevant.
Of course it is irrelevant to someone with an agenda. This is laughable being EVs wil not change anything pollution-wise world-wide.

I tell you what, all those EV owners should stop taking flights to go on their vacations and stop flying to workplace meetings when Zoom can be used. Of course you'll miss those wine and cheese parties. But the human race is as hypocritical just as Justin Trudeau is. He can do a Zoom for that useless coronation party.
The following users liked this post:
997turbocab (04-19-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 05:02 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Out come the tin foil hats!!!!

My only agenda with EVs to date has been to save money because they’re freeish to run. I don’t care if other nations or even if other people drive them, it has nothing to do with me. I don’t worry about what happens to all the batteries or if coal is burning to produce the energy to power the cars.

You must be under house arrest to think that EVs have not caught on yet.

If you don’t see them all over the place I’m shocked that you have internet and can post here.

Quick Reply: EV prices +10-15%