Notices

EV prices +10-15%

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 03:43 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

I know very little about EV’s, so excuse me if this is a silly question…are there any serious concerns with EMF levels in EV’s? I googled it, but there isn’t much info available that I can see.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:45 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm only 800km into my EV lifestyle, but don't you guys have garages that you can charge in?

Just plug in when you feel the need to, or if frugal like me... during cheap times. 7pm-7am M-F plus around the clock on weekends/holidays
Old 04-09-2023, 06:08 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I know very little about EV’s, so excuse me if this is a silly question…are there any serious concerns with EMF levels in EV’s? I googled it, but there isn’t much info available that I can see.
I found this on the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences:

"In most practical situations, DC electric power does not induce electric currents in humans. AC electric power produces electric and magnetic fields that create weak electric currents in humans."
Old 04-09-2023, 02:54 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I'm only 800km into my EV lifestyle, but don't you guys have garages that you can charge in?

Just plug in when you feel the need to, or if frugal like me... during cheap times. 7pm-7am M-F plus around the clock on weekends/holidays
i charge off peak and set the timer in the car to do so. Normally up to 80% SOC.

that being said IONITY seems to be the best network outside of Tesla. Very easy to use app and setup. This autohof had 16 stalls. The couple with the ID.3 were going from Dresden to Holland. I’m getting about 2.5-3 hours of driving at 130-160kph before having to stop for a top off.
only issue we have ran into is when for whatever reason the car decided to install an update which took 25 mins.

ill admit the only issue I has was we left Berlin without enough charge but the car has scheduled a supercharger session. The issue was we would arrive at 4%… inwas in the wrong lane on the autobahn and couldn’t exit. Luckily my wife found a slow charger in a village that we plugged into for 35 mins to get up 20% and continue to another supercharger. Ended up having a coffee while waiting below.

Last edited by Gregster; 04-09-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:20 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
we drove Frankfurt to Berlin with one stop to 100%. Including a few bursts to its top speed of 232. Most of the way it was slow going around 120-140kph. Traffic is really bad because it’s Easter.

We live in Quebec and the public chargers are great. Outside of Tesla Quebec has the best network in NA. It’s just slow. 50kw DCFC is sorta what normal charging should be at this point and I don’t think it “rapid” anymore. Yea home charging is still king but I sorta want a Model 3 now. The highway efficiency is really good
I used the Tesla nav to try and gauge whether it was effective at predicting remaining charge at the end of each trip. I found that it always used more than quoted, not by a lot but more. Of course there are variables that maybe it cannot or does not take into account while en route. These are things you don't really worry about with gas as you can fill up almost anywhere in no time.

From a driving perspective, basically thought it was ordinary. Sure sometimes fun to stomp on it with instant torque. But that gets old, rest of the vehicle doesn't match up. I did like the interface and screen. No character, basically an appliance. Possibly a good errand getter around town. Can see it being good for long trips as it's largely uneventful and calm. Model Y frunk lid felt cheap and flimsy, surprised. Nutshell thoughts on it. I've only driven Taycan's for EV comparison, far better, as expected, however the interface might go in favour of Tesla.

I went only to 250kW Tesla charging stations, to reduce waiting times. Never got those rates as it's dependent on how much juice you have left and other people charging. Did try to charge when below 30% remaining. Think highest rate was 180.

On my first trip I didn't mind charging in public so much, was a bit of a novelty. But on the family trip it got old.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:37 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

I’ve done about 2000kms on the road trip with the Tesla and I find the car has lots of character. Handles rather well and is very comfortable. I wish the seats were a bit more supportive in corners though. It also appears the EU gets better dampers and springs. In NA they were a bit floppy. We are charging every 2.5-3hrs I’d say and that’s fine. Breaking up the driving is fine with me. It’s totally doable to do a road trip. The little extra time added doesn’t make a real difference in my life if I can grab a little rest break.

im done with gas. I just with my Mini had a slightly larger battery but the new one will. I’m heavily considering ordering a Model3 though

Last edited by Gregster; 04-10-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:12 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

What does it cost to charge it?
Old 04-10-2023, 02:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
That is one aspect.

I did a comparsion the other day, two daily driver cars out the door all taxes in with the exception the EV got a $5000 rebate otherwise this comparison would look much worse for the Tesla.
A base 2023 Toyota Camry and still a nice daily driver and a base Tesla 3. Price difference was $20,538.

Now the Camry will run about 8L/100 km and for a 20,000 km year and at $1.50 per liter, $2400 in gas per year.
That works out to 8.55 years of free gas till you reach the out the door cost of the base Tesla 3. ($20,538 / $2400 = 8.55 years)
During that 8.55 years, that Tesla still needs to be charged. Add that cost is not calculated into the above making the EV ownership look worse.

Now we can argue as to what gas will cost in the future. We can also do the same for electricity when demand increases.

I am going to go and look at a Tesla 3 at my local dealer for the fun of it.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:33 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
8% to 100% at a super charger was around 28€. Pricing depends on demand. IONITY was 22€ for 34kwh of electricity not cheap. Compared to a trip last year I’d say we are 25-30% less with an EV vs something diesel.

my car at home costs like 1.50-2$ at home to charge

Last edited by Gregster; 04-10-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:29 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Autotrader just did an article exploring the myths surrounding EV's. It was published on Mar 31 and is well worth reading if anyone wants a better understanding of the facts.

But to the question of cost to charge, here is a snippet from the article:

"Driving an EV for 100 kilometres can cost a tenth the amount of driving a comparable internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle the same distance – even less if you have access to a free charger at work or while shopping. For instance, on a recent test drive of an F-150 Lightning, driving 100 kilometres added about $2 to my hydro bill, but saved me about $18 in gasoline (compared to a similar truck with 5.0-litre V8)."

The above does not take into consideration the fact that EV's require almost zero maintenance. No oil changes, no oil/fuel/air/filters, no spark plugs no wires, no fuel injectors, no coolant, etc, etc. Due to regenerative braking the brakes on an EV last much longer than in an ICE vehicle so there is another savings.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:46 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm doing my longest trip thus far in my BMW EV today... down to London and back on the 401 (~250km). I will be hogging the left lane and not turn signalling as any new BMW driver will be. Topping up the battery to 100% now with premium peak time electricity (15.1¢/kWh), and estimating I'll be using 69% of the battery capacity for the trip. It'll be my 1st trip in mild temps (forecast is 16-19C while I'm out)
Old 04-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That is one aspect.

I did a comparsion the other day, two daily driver cars out the door all taxes in with the exception the EV got a $5000 rebate otherwise this comparison would look much worse for the Tesla.
A base 2023 Toyota Camry and still a nice daily driver and a base Tesla 3. Price difference was $20,538.

Now the Camry will run about 8L/100 km and for a 20,000 km year and at $1.50 per liter, $2400 in gas per year.
That works out to 8.55 years of free gas till you reach the out the door cost of the base Tesla 3. ($20,538 / $2400 = 8.55 years)
During that 8.55 years, that Tesla still needs to be charged. Add that cost is not calculated into the above making the EV ownership look worse.

Now we can argue as to what gas will cost in the future. We can also do the same for electricity when demand increases.

I am going to go and look at a Tesla 3 at my local dealer for the fun of it.
go rent one at Hertz for 45$ a day

also nobody wants to drive a base Camry. Snooze fest
Old 04-11-2023, 12:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
no coolant, etc,
Actually they do based on what I read. Maybe go to YouTube and see what some owners are saying about maintenance or better yet, repairs.

And as my friend put it as he has been in a Tesla 3, the interior is so cheap. I said, as cheap as your Prius. I can't stand his Prius either having looked at one some years ago.

As for near zero maintenance, why would they have a repair facility at their dealerships?

Last edited by IXLR8; 04-11-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:20 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

The key word in your statement is "some" owners. Without a quantity, "some" is a meaningless number. Tesla has sold almost 2 million vehicles so like any car there are bound to be "some" dissatisfied owners.
Obviously any vehicle needs a repair facility; even a bicycle need repairs.

FYI, Tesla is number 1 in the world for owner satisfaction. You don't achieve that with an unreliable vehicle.

1) Tesla
2) Land Rover
3) Mazda
4) Peugeot
5) BMW
Old 04-11-2023, 01:33 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
FYI, Tesla is number 1 in the world for owner satisfaction. You don't achieve that with an unreliable vehicle.
Really, I guess they have low standards. I heard it was Porsche, but we all know about polls.

These EV owners remind me a lot about the reports I read about users of Lithium vehicle batteries and the inaccurate claims the manufacturer makes. They love mis-informed consumers, they are the best to have. I on the other hand am an advertizing execs worst nightmare.

Quick Reply: EV prices +10-15%