Notices

EV prices +10-15%

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
When the OVERALL costs of an EV vehicle purchase, and charging costs less than an equivalent ICE car and gas fill-ups over a 15 year period. And in the end, I still need to put up with EV range issues and charge time on trips.
right now in Quebec a Model 3 qualifies for 12k of rebate and costs less than a base BMW i4… if you are in the market for a new car it’s a no brainer. While supercharging is pricey if you can charge at home or at regular L2 chargers at CE it’s literally free
Old 03-18-2023, 01:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
Who is actually keeping a car here for 10 years though?
Some of us poor guys born on the other side of the tracks so that we can take the long term savings and buy Porsches. We have had cars 14 and 16 years. We don't all live in a dream world like Justin Trudeau aka as ********.

My EV literally costs pennies to operate Vs it’s gas equal which is also in my driveway.
Yes it does but what about the extra $20,000 you had to pay for the average low end EV over an equivalent gas powered car. Lets see, that is $2000 a year in free gas for 10 years and you still needed to charge your EV during that time frame. And when you compare EVs to a gas car, pick the EV that gets at least 400 kms of range for a fair dollar comparison.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

right now in Quebec a Model 3 qualifies for 12k of rebate and costs less than a base BMW i4…
I am comparing a Tesla 3 to a reliable Camry. Why would I compare it to a BMW i4? And rebates on the backs of other tax payers. If these EVs are so great, what do they need rebates for? People should be flocking to them. And even with the rebate, it is a bad deal.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

I am comparing a Tesla 3 to a reliable Camry. Why would I compare it to a BMW i4? And rebates on the backs of other tax payers. If these EVs are so great, what do they need rebates for? People should be flocking to them. And even with the rebate, it is a bad deal.
yes it’s all a Trudeau conspiracy. Why shouldn’t EVs get rebates to start the switch over? Oil and Gas operates on tax breaks and subsidies… Im fine with my taxes being used for alternative energy and EV tax breaks. I bet you also protest against public transit projects because it’s using your tax dollars

BMW i4 is the direct competitor to a Model 3. Are you really going to buy a base Camry? I highly doubt it.

Last edited by Gregster; 03-18-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes it does but what about the extra $20,000 you had to pay for the average low end EV over an equivalent gas powered car. Lets see, that is $2000 a year in free gas for 10 years and you still needed to charge your EV during that time frame. And when you compare EVs to a gas car, pick the EV that gets at least 400 kms of range for a fair dollar comparison.
Worth considering that some portion of the $20K capital cost delta you identify can be recovered as the vehicle retains some portion of its value whereas fuel is simply an unrecoverable expense.

Last edited by LastMezger; 03-19-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:42 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Some of us poor guys born on the other side of the tracks so that we can take the long term savings and buy Porsches. We have had cars 14 and 16 years. We don't all live in a dream world like Justin Trudeau aka as ********.

avg car price in Canada is around 45k. Model 3 after rebate is just slightly above that. Regardless of charging it will still work out cheaper over 4-5yrs vs gas. You also have better performance in everyday scenarios, instant heat in the winter and absolute silence.

the range argument has always been dumb. Do you use you ICE car 450kms a day? No you don’t. Most people’s range can but topped up overnight with an L1 120v unit.

you don’t like BEVs and that’s fine but sitting there trying to create FUD and trying to justify ICE is better is silly. Not a single person I know will return to ICE unless it’s a Sunday morning coffee car which they already own. I’m not a big Tesla fan either but it’s the best package for the price. Go rent one at Hertz

while I do admit there are fundamental problems such as a charging issue that comes down to more local and provincial/state govs dragging knuckles

Last edited by Gregster; 03-18-2023 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:55 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Why shouldn’t EVs get rebates to start the switch over?

Are you really going to buy a base Camry?
Why? Becasue if EVs are so great, they should sell themselves.

I noticed you could not argue the initial point of the price difference between an EV and an equivalent ICE car. There is nothing special about a Tesla 3.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:32 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Why? Becasue if EVs are so great, they should sell themselves.

I noticed you could not argue the initial point of the price difference between an EV and an equivalent ICE car. There is nothing special about a Tesla 3.
Boomers gonna boom 🥲
must be terrible being so close minded. It’s okay

Last edited by Gregster; 03-18-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:56 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

yes it’s all a Trudeau conspiracy. Why shouldn’t EVs get rebates to start the switch over? Oil and Gas operates on tax breaks and subsidies… Im fine with my taxes being used for alternative energy and EV tax breaks. I bet you also protest against public transit projects because it’s using your tax dollars

BMW i4 is the direct competitor to a Model 3. Are you really going to buy a base Camry? I highly doubt it.
I've been on the wait list for the i4m50 now for 14 months....

Old 03-19-2023, 12:30 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
I've been on the wait list for the i4m50 now for 14 months....
blame Putin
Old 03-19-2023, 12:48 AM
petee_c
Drifting

blame Putin
small price to pay all things considered.... Hope he leaves office soon.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:49 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
small price to pay all things considered.... Hope he leaves office soon.
Or fall out a window
Old 03-19-2023, 12:15 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Or fall out a window
vodka overdose? = probably too kind
Old 03-19-2023, 01:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

There is nothing special about a Tesla 3.
I don't agree. I've had a Model Y Performance for nearly two years. It's quite brilliant. Fast, quiet, smooth, roomy, sticks like glue in the corners, costs nothing to run. Pretty special compared to an X3 or Q5 or whatever similarly priced crossover thing.

That said, I'm trading it on a second Stelvio Quadrifoglio next week.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I've had a Model Y Performance for nearly two years.
And it cost how much out the door and EV owners are worried about what it costs to run? Really...LOL. And why only keep it two years?

I am assuming people drive these cars to save the world, so would it not be prudent to save as much energy as possible. So why would anyone need a Performance? When I drove an EV, it sounded like a slot car or a sewing machine. No thanks!

Quick Reply: EV prices +10-15%