Notices

EV prices +10-15%

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 04:19 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

It’s ironic though that Hydro Quebec is whining about the fact that they can’t produce enough electricity but the governments and the “ save the planet “ advocates are pushing for electric vehicles and the chinese are buying up whatever lithium and precious metal mines they can get their little hands on …
Greg , is your wife allowed only four hours of use with the charging stations at work ? I have a lot of colleagues with EV’s and they tell me the guidelines are pretty strict in regards to the few stations available at this point.

Just sayin …

By the way , my contractor also has one of them electric Mustangs … i think i’m going to get out of the airline industry !

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by wildcat077; 03-22-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:02 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
It’s ironic though that Hydro Quebec is whining about the fact that they can’t produce enough electricity but the governments and the “ save the planet “ advocates are pushing for electric vehicles and the chinese are buying up whatever lithium and precious metal mines they can get their little hands on …
Greg , is your wife allowed only four hours of use with the charging stations at work ? I have a lot of colleagues with EV’s and they tell me the guidelines are pretty strict in regards to the few stations available at this point.

Just sayin …

By the way , my contractor also has one of them electric Mustangs … i think i’m going to get out of the airline industry !

Cheers
Phil

I figure the charging balances. Nobody is charging all at once and only a handful charge everyday. The big push for heat pumps is to avoid having baseboard heaters on all the time or using smart thermostats. HQ bitches because the more we use the less they have to sell to USA.. Not everyone has to go EV but little changes help. As I said before EVs such as that Hummer thing and more giant SUVs aren’t in the spirit of things

yea only 4hours at a time and they have clamped down recently. Before people were letting their cars sit all day fully charged. Now it’s 4hours of use and over that a very large idle fee. They had everyone create a Flo account and have some money in it just in case. There is a WhatsApp group for EV charging as well.

I just checked the app and it’s plugged in at the office now
Old 03-23-2023, 06:39 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts

Homeowners charge at night when grids typically have a surplus of power.
I had no idea HQ was crying they are short on power. They used to brag about "years worth" of storage built up behind their dams. Anyone ever visited Manic Cinq? That dam is monstrous.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:51 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
I had no idea HQ was crying they are short on power. They used to brag about "years worth" of storage built up behind their dams. Anyone ever visited Manic Cinq? That dam is monstrous.
can’t sell surplus to USA when the grid is jammed up
Old 03-23-2023, 11:07 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

All very nice if you drive to and from work, but that would not do me any good when I drove down to Fort Lauderdale and back in 3 days (72 hours) solo. Thanks to 5 minute gas fill-ups I could. Imagine waiting for a full charge to 100%.

Anyone ever visited Manic Cinq?
Yup, drove right by in 2003 while on a solo motorcycle tour from Newfoundland to Blanc Sablon to Cartwright, then Happy Valley to Baie Comeau long before the new road came in and supposedly it all got paved. The one-day drive from Happy Valley to Labrador City (529 km) on loose marbles when the grader goes by (knobbies do not help you on marbles), being beat, all I could think of when arriving is beer and pizza. Drove right by the Churchill Falls generating station as well. The 1100 km drive on rough gravel was a test for the luggage mounts to make sure they do not crack at the welds; they didn't.

Does this look familiar?

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-23-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:20 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gregster
can’t sell surplus to USA when the grid is jammed up
True, but for now, EV charging load on the grid is a drop in the bucket. We have a paper mill in my town that uses more power than the entire province of PEI.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:39 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IXLR8
All very nice if you drive to and from work, but that would not do me any good when I drove down to Fort Lauderdale and back in 3 days (72 hours) solo. Thanks to 5 minute gas fill-ups I could. Imagine waiting for a full charge to 100%.

Yup, drove right by in 2003 while on a solo motorcycle tour from Newfoundland to Blanc Sablon to Cartwright, then Happy Valley to Baie Comeau long before the new road came in and supposedly it all got paved. The one-day drive from Happy Valley to Labrador City (529 km) on loose marbles when the grader goes by (knobbies do not help you on marbles), being beat, all I could think of when arriving is beer and pizza. Drove right by the Churchill Falls generating station as well. The 1100 km drive on rough gravel was a test for the luggage mounts to make sure they do not crack at the welds; they didn't.

Does this look familiar?
Hey that's awesome. That looks like an older KLR. I have a 2011 KLR and it has done the entire Trans-Lab, QC, NB, NF loop twice. Once clockwise and once counter-clockwise.
Here is a link to a short clip of my KLR in front of Mani Cinq in 2016. When I did the same trip in 2011 there was still 1,100 kms of dirt road, a lot of which was pretty sketchy. Paving was completed for the NF/Lab portion just last year. I think a lot on the QC side is still dirt. Sorry for the hijack, but this is where some of the EV power is coming from.

The following users liked this post:
petee_c (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 09:35 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

True, but for now, EV charging load on the grid is a drop in the bucket. We have a paper mill in my town that uses more power than the entire province of PEI.
Quebec doesn’t always get it correct but our public charging network is great. Love the 1$ hr units

Old 03-24-2023, 09:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Hey that's awesome. That looks like an older KLR. I have a 2011 KLR and it has done the entire Trans-Lab, QC, NB, NF loop twice. Once clockwise and once counter-clockwise.
Here is a link to a short clip of my KLR in front of Mani Cinq in 2016. When I did the same trip in 2011 there was still 1,100 kms of dirt road, a lot of which was pretty sketchy. Paving was completed for the NF/Lab portion just last year. I think a lot on the QC side is still dirt. Sorry for the hijack, but this is where some of the EV power is coming from.

https://youtu.be/OXnW-sEDHTw
Yeah back in 2003 they had this sign long before you get to Cartwright stating the road to Happy Valley Goose Bay would be under construction. It took years to even start.

Power in Quebec was always unreliable. We had countless power outages every year in our labs in the 21.5 years at that building and it wasn't just the building, but the area. Maybe Hydro Quebec had shares in UPS systems. LOL

The paved road from Manic Cinq to Baie Comeau was fun but in terrible condition. They should set up Dent-U-Grip stands in Quebec to keep your teeth in place.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-24-2023 at 09:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
No_snivelling (03-24-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 06:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Are you guys OK , Greg , Matt ???

Cheers
Phil
LOL, losing it, apparently!
Old 04-06-2023, 04:46 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

In im Germany now and rented a Model 3 from Hertz. Zero issues charging thanks to Tesla excellent network , comfortable and fast enough. European market Model3 feel much better. One charge Frankfurt to Berlin. Oh the horror it took 25 mins while we ate lunch

Old 04-06-2023, 09:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
In im Germany now and rented a Model 3 from Hertz. Zero issues charging thanks to Tesla excellent network , comfortable and fast enough. European market Model3 feel much better. One charge Frankfurt to Berlin. Oh the horror it took 25 mins while we ate lunch
Last month I had 13 days in a rental Tesla, separate trips. Model Y & 3. First time driving a Tesla.

In terms of charging, California has amazing supercharger network. No issues finding a place to charge. Never did I get the advertised 250 kW. What I did find annoying was having to take time out of my day to charge the car for 20-50 minutes. Range was always less than advertised on the screens and I didn't drive like a mad man. It was interesting watching owners come into the lots to charge, it's like it's baked into their routine - some watch movies on the screen, most on their phones, some run errands in the plaza. I tried my best to combine charging with a task, to not waste time. I don't want to establish a routine to get charged. Can only imagine doing that here in Canada, atrocious charging network. Wherever you are, the best is home charging I think. Combined with a solid public network should you need to top up.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:27 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Last month I had 13 days in a rental Tesla, separate trips. Model Y & 3. First time driving a Tesla.

In terms of charging, California has amazing supercharger network. No issues finding a place to charge. Never did I get the advertised 250 kW. What I did find annoying was having to take time out of my day to charge the car for 20-50 minutes. Range was always less than advertised on the screens and I didn't drive like a mad man. It was interesting watching owners come into the lots to charge, it's like it's baked into their routine - some watch movies on the screen, most on their phones, some run errands in the plaza. I tried my best to combine charging with a task, to not waste time. I don't want to establish a routine to get charged. Can only imagine doing that here in Canada, atrocious charging network. Wherever you are, the best is home charging I think. Combined with a solid public network should you need to top up.
we drove Frankfurt to Berlin with one stop to 100%. Including a few bursts to its top speed of 232. Most of the way it was slow going around 120-140kph. Traffic is really bad because it’s Easter.

We live in Quebec and the public chargers are great. Outside of Tesla Quebec has the best network in NA. It’s just slow. 50kw DCFC is sorta what normal charging should be at this point and I don’t think it “rapid” anymore. Yea home charging is still king but I sorta want a Model 3 now. The highway efficiency is really good
Old 04-07-2023, 10:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
It was interesting watching owners come into the lots to charge, it's like it's baked into their routine - some watch movies on the screen, most on their phones, some run errands in the plaza. I tried my best to combine charging with a task, to not waste time. I don't want to establish a routine to get charged.
Exactly why I will never own one. My GF's brother had a friend drop by but while he was on the 401, he ended up waiting 2h 45m behind other EV owners charging and then the time till his was charged. Sure, bad luck and a very odd case but also one I do not want to put up with. Of course there are nay-sayers, but the watch on your arm does not lie.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:59 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Agree, once you’re driving further than the battery allows, it’s less compelling.

I’ll always choose a ICE over my EV if I can’t get there at least one way without charging.

It is however pretty easy to find chargers at hotels and restaurants, so if it’s convenient to charge overnight or at dinner before the drive home, it’s usually pretty straightforward.

Charger drama en route isn’t for me either

Quick Reply: EV prices +10-15%