Notices

COVID AND Vaccinations

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 11:39 AM
tuffcalc
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Actually fat slobs have weak immune system and do put others at risk by easily getting infected and need to be on a ventilator.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obe...-covid-19.html

Adults with excess weight are at even greater risk during the COVID-19 pandemic:
Ok ... assume the fat slob is double vaccinated in my example
Old 07-29-2021, 11:41 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
So, I have my vaccines, and would experiment on my children when the time comes for them to get it, but have a different view about public policy and lockdowns:

The last 16 months have been great for the CEO, management and all the high skilled workers on their laptops at home. It has been less good for the janitor.

Their economic situation isn't as rosy as ours, and health outcomes are tied to economic status. The pandemic has disproportionately hit low income and new Canadians. They are also less likely to trust in traditional medicine.

They are also more dependant on government services, the services that will inevitably be cut to service our CERB debt.

The increased mortality rate among these groups in the coming decade will likely outstrip the Covid deaths.

It is their children among the missing cohort in our schools. They never signed up for on line learning. Some of them will never return to school, and they were the ones who needed it the most.

So by letting doctors set public policy, we have chosen today over tomorrow. But they always prioritize the acute over the chronic, that is how they were trained.

And it is why they shouldn't be allowed to set public policy.
Where did you get all this data from?
Old 07-29-2021, 11:41 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 515 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffcalc
Ok ... assume the fat slob is double vaccinated in my example
You're still weaker than someone who's double vaccinated that's in shape, putting others at risk.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:45 AM
tuffcalc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
He got it from Facebook. He is also smarter on the issue of public health than a doctor who spent 20 years in school dedicating their lives to the health of others ... because they are very stupid people who have no common sense and only consider the short-term effects of issues such as covid.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:50 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
Ok so help me understand then why do we allow people to smoke, be obese, Drink? All things that are not healthy for you and put a burden on our healthcare system? What is the difference? Drugs are bad...yet instead of getting rid of Meth our government gives it out for free (Methodone clinics anyone?)

What happened to "my body my choice"? Or is that only applicable when you are murdering another human being that is living inside you?

When was the last time Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson ever produced a current vaccine that we actually use?
We don't allow people to smoke in restaurants, shops or building hallways where the smoke endangers others. We don't allow people to drink when they are behind the wheel of a car because they again endanger others. As for being obese or people being on methadone, neither group endangers others (and for the methadone users, it is the lesser of two evils when we are actually trying to save their lives).

What you put in your body is indeed your choice, and you DO have a right to refuse to be vaccinated. However, you DO NOT have a right to endanger others. You do not have a right to work in a healthcare setting or a nursing home. You do not have a right to travel to another country. You do not have a right to go to a restaurant, a cinema, a hockey game or a concert. Just like driving, those are privileges, not rights. If you want to get behind the steering wheel, you can't be drunk and you need to satisfy other requirements (including medical ones) in order to be licensed to drive. The same principle applies here.
The following users liked this post:
dml (08-03-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 11:53 AM
tuffcalc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 928gt
We don't allow people to smoke in restaurants, shops or building hallways where the smoke endangers others. We don't allow people to drink when they are behind the wheel of a car because they again endanger others. As for being obese or people being on methadone, neither group endangers others (and for the methadone users, it is the lesser of two evils when we are actually trying to save their lives).

What you put in your body is indeed your choice, and you DO have a right to refuse to be vaccinated. However, you DO NOT have a right to endanger others. You do not have a right to work in a healthcare setting or a nursing home. You do not have a right to travel to another country. You do not have a right to go to a restaurant, a cinema, a hockey game or a concert. Just like driving, those are privileges, not rights. If you want to get behind the steering wheel, you can't be drunk and you need to satisfy other requirements (including medical ones) in order to be licensed to drive. The same principle applies here.
I agree with you but this is where Canada is backwards. You DO have the right to be a healthcare worker and be unvaccinated ... at least at this point. The hospitals, for example, are afraid of potential human rights violations.

I don't think they are seeing this correctly. It's a human rights violation if an unvaccinated carrier of covid infects me. I would be happy to test this in court.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:59 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

I agree with you but this is where Canada is backwards. You DO have the right to be a healthcare worker and be unvaccinated ... at least at this point. The hospitals, for example, are afraid of potential human rights violations.

I don't think they are seeing this correctly. It's a human rights violation if an unvaccinated carrier of covid infects me. I would be happy to test this in court.
You are absolutely correct - but it will change the moment the first wrongful death lawsuit is brought forward. It's only a matter of time.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:58 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

The difference is you are putting others at risk. If you become a fat slob and blow up your heart, it's your problem. If you are an unvaccinated superspreader, it's our problem.
ok so you're afraid an unvaccinated person will infect you with a disease that you've been vaccinated against?

Everyone should just look after themselves and be less judgmental of other people's choices
997turbocab (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:11 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt

If you are double vaccinated...then YOUR covered right? I am not endangering anyone. Covid has shown to not spread any less through people that are double vaccinated.. It is just your symptoms are milder.

We have gone our entire lives without living in fear of diseases and not wearing masks.....The Flu anyone? comes every winter. No big deal.

* And we do allow people to drink when they are behind the wheel... they are allowed up to 0.07% blood alcohol ( or whatever it is). Why do we allow car manufacturers to build cars that go faster than the speed limit?
Old 07-29-2021, 01:12 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
ok so you're afraid an unvaccinated person will infect you with a disease that you've been vaccinated against?

Everyone should just look after themselves and be less judgmental of other people's choices

This ^^ LOL
Old 07-29-2021, 01:32 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

He got it from Facebook. He is also smarter on the issue of public health than a doctor who spent 20 years in school dedicating their lives to the health of others ... because they are very stupid people who have no common sense and only consider the short-term effects of issues such as covid.
I have a two logical fallacy limit. Congrats on hitting your limit with one thought.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:43 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Ok, let's make this simple so people can understand.
1. unvaccinated people pass it between themselves mostly, causing mild illness in most and severe in a few. It's unnecessary, why would you want to get a disease when you could prevent it in the first place? There is no medal for going through an illness like this.
2. more people getting severe problems put an unnecessary burden and cost on the medical system which we all have to pay. well the ones who work do.
3. constant surges in infections lead to having to wear masks, travel restrictions etc... some people don't care about that but others do. do we want to be in a perennial state of lockdown where we can't do things because someone is too afraid of a vaccine? silly.

vaccinated people are NOT afraid of you, we just want to get back to normal life. why is that so hard to understand?
the more pertinent question is, why are YOU so afraid of a vaccine that is safe and effective. get your big boy pants on and get with the rest of society and don't be such a burden.

Last edited by CanuckGT4; 07-29-2021 at 01:46 PM.
tuffcalc (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:54 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Low income covid effects:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7756168/
https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...d-poverty-race
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.5566384

I know the last one is the CBC, and if I was presenting a paper on the topic, I wouldn't use them. But I am assuming you wanted general reading, and will not be peer reviewing my posts.

Low income health outcomes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525295/
https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/...ty-health.html
http://www.hqontario.ca/portals/0/do...-report-en.pdf

Low income trust in traditional medicine:

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10....1.056138/full/
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...tudy-1.5368415

Blast. There is the Canadian media again. Probably just spewing (L)iberal propaganda anyways.

Children missing from school enrolment, and income:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...3e2_story.html
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...s-as-covid-19/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tdsb-1.5765426

There is less academic study here.

Let me know how many other sources you want. I would rather discuss if you think that our now executed plan will or won't have long term benefits or problems. I don't think we can realistically argue about the short term effects; they are what they are. But I am sure someone else will be offended by my characterization of people with no training in public policy being ill suited to making public policy.

Flame away!
Robb M. (08-03-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
Ok, let's make this simple so people can understand.
1. unvaccinated people pass it between themselves mostly, causing mild illness in most and severe in a few. It's unnecessary, why would you want to get a disease when you could prevent it in the first place? There is no medal for going through an illness like this.
2. more people getting severe problems put an unnecessary burden and cost on the medical system which we all have to pay. well the ones who work do.
3. constant surges in infections lead to having to wear masks, travel restrictions etc... some people don't care about that but others do. do we want to be in a perennial state of lockdown where we can't do things because someone is too afraid of a vaccine? silly.

vaccinated people are NOT afraid of you, we just want to get back to normal life. why is that so hard to understand?
the more pertinent question is, why are YOU so afraid of a vaccine that is safe and effective. get your big boy pants on and get with the rest of society and don't be such a burden.
Whether I am vaccinated or not is private medical info between me and my family doctor

I don't have to shout to everyone whether or not I am vaccinated.

Do you have a bumper sticker that says "I am a hero and vaccinated against Covid-19 variants excluding delta" ?
Old 07-29-2021, 02:00 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Whether I am vaccinated or not is private medical info between me and my family doctor
I don't have to shout to everyone whether or not I am vaccinated.
Do you have a bumper sticker that says "I am a hero and vaccinated against Covid-19 variants excluding delta" ?
Ok, off on another tangent are we? Oh dear. NO response to my post at all then?
Come on Bud Fox, the most valuable commodity I know of is information. Where do you get YOUR information? FB?

Quick Reply: COVID AND Vaccinations