Notices

used oil with stewardship gone..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 05:33 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've been looking to DIY my own oil changes and basic maintenance only to find out Peel Region told me to pound sand as they won't take used oil, only empty oil containers. The Canadian Tire and other auto shops a KM away or so wouldn't accept used oil either. What are you guys doing for your used oil?
Old 06-05-2021, 06:13 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've been looking to DIY my own oil changes and basic maintenance only to find out Peel Region told me to pound sand as they won't take used oil, only empty oil containers. The Canadian Tire and other auto shops a KM away or so wouldn't accept used oil either. What are you guys doing for your used oil?
The county landfill site takes it up here along with filters. its just a few KMs away.

But honestly, if you profit from selling it, like CTC, Walmart, etc..., you should have to take it back for recycling, and that includes more than just oil and filters

Last edited by DDzPorsche; 06-05-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:56 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Ditto. I called a few Canadian Tire stores around me (there's one up the street from my place - 5 minute walk) who told me they don't take oil. I was surprised. Same with the other Canadian Tire stores and the row of repair shops up the road. When I called Peel Region's community recycling centres and the city of Toronto, they told me they'll take old coolant, oil filters, empty oil containers, but not oil, so I was surprised.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

yeah thats why i started this thread .. CT were not being " good corporate citizens" , they were doing it because they were being paid through the stewardship program to do it. As soon as the government stopped it , they told us all to go pound sand .. even though they make milions selling the stuff in the first place.

fortunately my local land fill takes it at no charge along with propane cylinders. filters and oil containers.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

if you live in Toronto they will send a toxic taxi to pick up between 10 and 50 litres of oil.
https://www.toronto.ca/services-paym...zardous-waste/

the councillor in my neighborhood has a drop off day at the local high school once a year as well, I usually accumulate and every year or two drop it there.
this is last years: https://www.jayerobinson.ca/blog/202...ment-days-2020
Old 06-07-2021, 04:35 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

I moved to Mississauga late last year, so no more Toronto for me.

This sucks. Well, I'll figure something out. Can I drop off the old oil at your house? (just kidding)
Old 06-14-2021, 10:55 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I moved to Mississauga late last year, so no more Toronto for me.

This sucks. Well, I'll figure something out. Can I drop off the old oil at your house? (just kidding)
googled it for you....

https://www.peelregion.ca/waste/othe...tion-hazardous
Old 06-14-2021, 11:06 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
if you live in Toronto they will send a toxic taxi to pick up between 10 and 50 litres of oil.
https://www.toronto.ca/services-paym...zardous-waste/

the councillor in my neighborhood has a drop off day at the local high school once a year as well, I usually accumulate and every year or two drop it there.
this is last years: https://www.jayerobinson.ca/blog/202...ment-days-2020
Other than the long wait for a pickup date, the Toxic Taxi was relatively painless and to be honest, I like it better than having to transport old fluids back to CT anyway. Call in, they tell you a date and you just leave your oil/fluids outside and they come to your doorstep to collect it.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:27 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Well, damn it. So it appears Peel Region bundles "Engine / Motor Oil" into the "Automotive Fluids" category which is why it wasn't evident to me in the first place. Duh!!!!!!! Woe is me. Problem solved. Move on. Carry on.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:54 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah thats why i started this thread .. CT were not being " good corporate citizens"
If I can drop off my garbage at your house, you can drop your old oil with me. Deal?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jamie140
If I can drop off my garbage at your house, you can drop your old oil with me. Deal?
If i can make millions selling the stuff that created the garbage in the first place sure .... but thats not my point Jamie ,, you know from history i have always been a CT supporter and proud they were Canadian, i even still have the freewheeling book i bough many many years ago.

It was just really disheartening that CT came across as a good corporate citizens, and as soon as the stewardship ended, they told everyone to go pound sand. I now think of them differently and go there last, not first if i want something. They actively disengaged me as a customer.

They used to be something special and cool place to go 30 years ago, now they are just another big box store, i now look for the small independently owned small auto parts store and support them , even if i have to pay a little more.

Last edited by theiceman; 06-15-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
If i can make millions selling the stuff that created the garbage in the first place sure .... but thats not my point Jamie ,, you know from history i have always been a CT supporter and proud they were Canadian, i even still have the freewheeling book i bough many many years ago.

It was just really disheartening that CT came across as a good corporate citizens, and as soon as the stewardship ended, they told everyone to go pound sand. I now think of them differently and go there last, not first if i want something. They actively disengaged me as a customer.

They used to be something special and cool place to go 30 years ago, now they are just another big box store, i now look for the small independently owned small auto parts store and support them , even if i have to pay a little more.
RockAuto.com
Old 06-17-2021, 02:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Imo000
RockAuto.com
there is small online shop out of Waterdown i support with my German cars. https://germanoem.ca/

Anything else its McNeil auto for me...
Old 06-19-2021, 09:12 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Clive, I realize it is a bit of a trek from Kitchener but the CT store on Fairview street in Burlington graciously accepted 9 liters of oil this afternoon, no problem, all smiles
Old 06-21-2021, 12:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by george44
Hi Clive, I realize it is a bit of a trek from Kitchener but the CT store on Fairview street in Burlington graciously accepted 9 liters of oil this afternoon, no problem, all smiles

great to hear George.

Since starting this thread so long ago i found out my local transfer station takes oil and propane tanks and waves the minimum tipping fee. so i just go there.

Thanks anyway

Quick Reply: used oil with stewardship gone..