Notices

used oil with stewardship gone..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 10:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts
Default used oil with stewardship gone..

..Morning folks.

Wonder what you DIY guys are doing with your old oil and Filters now ... When the Conservatives came in they quickly abolished this program of environmental fees on oil and filters and shut down the program. I was wondering how long Canadian Tire were going to remain good cooperate citizens and receive your old oil ...
Well the inevitable showed up ( not sure if it is related to the stewardship program or if they were compensated out of it ) . A big sign outside of my Local CT saying oil is no longer being accepted and people " dumping" old oil will be charged to the fullest extent of the law...
so much for good corporate citizens...

We can take it to the dump here but its a 5 dollar charge just to drive in .. . not the end of the world by any means but your oil change just went up 5 bucks plus hassle of taking it there
Just wondering what other DIY guys do ... i'm concerned this will lead to very bad things for the environment if there is no alternate plan .. coz you just KNOW what some people might do ..

On the 911 forum a few years ago, one guy in the US actually said he just drives out to the desert and changes his oil at the side of the road .. coz that where the oil came from anyway ...... unbelievable.

Thoughts ?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

No charge here in Halton to drop hazardous materials at the dump on Bronte. Sometimes I get a lecture when I show up with 50 liters, LOL.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
No charge here in Halton to drop hazardous materials at the dump on Bronte. Sometimes I get a lecture when I show up with 50 liters, LOL.
Good to know Adam ....

actually you raise a good point .. im always charged when i drop mine off but i have other garbage with me ... im going to drive over today with just oil and filter as an experiment and see...

I'll update shortly
Old 09-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Ya at Bronte the hazardous drop off is seperate from the dump, so no charge.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:14 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

In the city of Toronto as long as you have over 10L and under 50L of Oil or paint they will pick it up from your home. I just call 311 let them know, they give me an exact day and leave I it next to my garbage/green bins.
The following 3 users liked this post by fenixv8:
Bud Fox (09-14-2020), I am the Walrus (09-15-2020), strathconaman (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:21 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

So far it is still no charge to bring used oil and filters to the York Region Hazardous Waste site (McCleary Road, Concord). Usually they are a happy bunch, but I once was aggressively questioned as to whether I was a professional mechanic with a shop, but I just explained that I have a large extended family and do lots of oil changes (which is true) and all was OK.

I used to just bring my oil to Canadian Tire which was much more convenient. Given the amount that I spend at Canadian Tire, it would still be a good deal for them!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

I imagine there are other shops that will take it, ask some local mechanics if they accept good used oil. Some get paid by recyclers when they pick it up.

Alternatively, I have listed it on kijiji/marketplace for free for waste oil furnaces when I have 50+ liters. A little harder in southern ontario, but for northern ontario where waste oil furnaces are permitted, it can be easier. Then someone actually comes to your house to pick it up, win win.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:58 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

I drop my oil/filters at the dump in Waterloo...no charge. You can drop your used brake fluid there too.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Guys, I learned a few things today ....

Indeed if you are just dropping off oil or other hazardous waste there is no charge.
They have a whole new building set up at our local transfer station.
There are separate sections for oil, filters, and old oil containers. Very convenient with the new setup.

I used to throw my 1litre oil containers in the blue box and they never refused them , but i felt funny about it , now i will just take my 12 1 litre bottles with my old oil and get rid of it there.

Yes a little less convenient at an hour compared to 10 minutes at Canadian tire ( line ups to get in and out) but im okay with it and it got me out of the house for an hour...

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by theiceman; 09-14-2020 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
I imagine there are other shops that will take it, ask some local mechanics if they accept good used oil. Some get paid by recyclers when they pick it up.

Alternatively, I have listed it on kijiji/marketplace for free for waste oil furnaces when I have 50+ liters. A little harder in southern ontario, but for northern ontario where waste oil furnaces are permitted, it can be easier. Then someone actually comes to your house to pick it up, win win.
Recycling like Veolia aren't paying anymore because the price of oil is so low. Been like this for a few years. I don't mind when people drop it off but do so during business hours .. CT gets stacked with oil then it spills. The same happens at my shop come Monday AM and there is 10l of oil leaking from spilled bottles. Who gets a lecture from the city? We do...

Last edited by Gregster; 09-14-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:20 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by theiceman
..Morning folks.

Wonder what you DIY guys are doing with your old oil and Filters now ... When the Conservatives came in they quickly abolished this program of environmental fees on oil and filters and shut down the program. I was wondering how long Canadian Tire were going to remain good cooperate citizens and receive your old oil ...
Well the inevitable showed up ( not sure if it is related to the stewardship program or if they were compensated out of it ) . A big sign outside of my Local CT saying oil is no longer being accepted and people " dumping" old oil will be charged to the fullest extent of the law...
so much for good corporate citizens...

We can take it to the dump here but its a 5 dollar charge just to drive in .. . not the end of the world by any means but your oil change just went up 5 bucks plus hassle of taking it there
Just wondering what other DIY guys do ... i'm concerned this will lead to very bad things for the environment if there is no alternate plan .. coz you just KNOW what some people might do ..
On the 911 forum a few years ago, one guy in the US actually said he just drives out to the desert and changes his oil at the side of the road .. coz that where the oil came from anyway ...... unbelievable.
Thoughts ?
Out here in Durham, Crappy Tire shut it down a few years ago but no charge to go to the Miller Waste disposal site for oil or pint for that matter. Other waste they charge for.
I kept a bunch of those dryway mud buckets for my old oil.

Originally Posted by fenixv8
In the city of Toronto as long as you have over 10L and under 50L of Oil or paint they will pick it up from your home. I just call 311 let them know, they give me an exact day and leave I it next to my garbage/green bins.
Cool! Drive by oiling? . Drop at some unsuspecting 416 home in the middle of the night and call 311 afterwards
Old 09-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Zero charge in Peel Region for oil disposal and other waste. There is a limit per day - I think its 10L.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Same here in Hamilton, I can drop off as much as I want at hazardous waste for free. I run it up there maybe twice a year, along with any old paint, jar of dead batteries, old transmission oil. Maybe add covid masks next time?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Doing a run today. Man I have a good pile at the dude of my house. Lol
Old 09-14-2020, 04:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

In Muskoka, bracebridge has a hazardous drop off open all week.
Toronto does have Hazardous drop off areas and times. To be honest I have not used Toronto in a while.
I'm sure the crazy 911 Porsche person, changes their oil every year after 2000 kms. That would be perfect used oil for someone else's beater.

times have changed....

Quick Reply: used oil with stewardship gone..