Notices

NZers Track Tour Spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a reminder that I am still up for the Taupo day only, and will have some free accommodation at my house if necessary in Taupo.

Macca - what do you estimate the cost would be for me for Taupo only?

Cheers

Matt
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Matt.

We will be trying to keep this as low as possible naturally but it is somewhat dependent on how many we get running in the "second session". Based in the existing 11 confirmed and assuming we can get around 10 casuals for a second session I would say the Porsche session with Playday and Prestigio cover and an instructor will run somewhere around $300 for the day. Our hard costs are over $7000 for this track for the day including an independent instructor. The second session will not be a Porsche one and wont benefit from cover or instructor. Currently based on only 11 participants Taupo is costing over $600 a head but of course we hope to get that down now we have a fixed date...
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 360 Posts

I'm working on getting Simon to show up in his 355. The 997 Cup is a non starter as it requires a back up team and is a race car.

Also, interestingly, Porsche racing at HD on 21-23 March at HD seems to preclude any racers joining the South Island tour next year.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi John. Yes I was aware of the Porsche conflict. Id say March will be height of motor racing season/calendar so will conflict with a number of competition events. Consequently those that take part in the SI tour will be mainly track enthusiasts rather than racers. I'm happy with that.

It would be good to have Simon there in the 355. I have a couple of people thinking to attend at Taupo. I believe there is a PCNZ Bent Sprint say at Taupo on the Sat 14th (Paul can confirm) which may actually fill up some spare slots fairly quickly for those that want to come down a day early and get some practice/set up laps in...
Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Hilton. Mainly for the parking!
+964 on the Indian - there are a few but one very good one.

I'll come down the night before

Happy to follow the crowd re Palmy accommodation - parking most important
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. I know the Indian you refer to on the corner in town an that was the one I was thinking too...

Hilton has 3 bedroom apartments with lounge & kitchen for $585 so thats under $200 a head. Underground parking (though that may be extra). Looks pretty good to me!

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/...execution=e1s1

I would think there will be a few of us heading down a bit early. Maybe we can do a convoy. Id imagine John will be one so perhaps myself, yourself and John can take a three bedroom apartment for two nights and the others can collectively take 3 bedders and a 2 bedder to complete the numbers.

There is a self wash outfit just around the corner from the Hilton and en route back from the track for those that want to wash the car. there is also a 98RON Servo 400m away from the Hilton. Wash the cars, fill up, Hilton, shower, check the cars over in the underground carpark for the next day then taxi to town for Indian. Separate bedrooms make sense for onion Baji lovers IMHO!

I tend to agree with John that an early morning start with breakfast on the way to Fielding is a good idea. Drive time is 2.45 hrs and we need to be at the trace between 9-9.15am. Probably a 6am (latest) departure will work best to allow 30 mins enroute for a feed...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

As for Palmerston North. We used this place last year during the Targa. Its as upmarket as it gets in Palmy! Very nice restaurant but it is a bit pricey. Large secure road level car park. Im sure there are other cheaper options tho....

http://www.waterfront.co.nz
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
As for Palmerston North. We used this place last year during the Targa. Its as upmarket as it gets in Palmy! Very nice restaurant but it is a bit pricey. Large secure road level car park. Im sure there are other cheaper options tho....

http://www.waterfront.co.nz
Did you get the lesbot to book that one for you? Waterfront.... Palmy... sounded wrong.... I think its in New Plymouth
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ummmm. Yeah. Good point. Total FAIL. Wasnt great at geography. That would be New Plymouth then....

OK. Palmy I have an option in Fielding from Tony. This is where he stays. Good for secure parking....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...th_Island.html
Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello Chaps,
Good news for me.
Dates changed, everyone happy and I'm in for the N.I track tour.
I'll go with the flow with accom etc, I'll come down on the morning of, early.
Who and how much do I pay?

Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll drive from Hamilton to Taupo on the Friday morning. Hilton sounds fine -- I am tempted by Matt's generous offer, but it's probably easier to stick together, especially with the early start Saturday. Somebody will probably need to wake me up...

I don't have a preference for Palmy. I've only been there once, for a weekend when I was young. I remember just 2 things about the trip: our accommodation was like a prison, and it was bitterly cold the whole time. As long as they don't charge by the hour I'll trust your judgement Macca!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Obsessed. Only the Palmy girls charge by the hour but I've heard its too much (not sure if that was the magnitude of the girls or the price!).

Great news David. Good to have another along. Its going to be a great tour! Email Tony at Playday direct. playday@playdayontrack.co.nz He can give you the account details and add you to his mailing list. tell him its Rennsport Gruppe September Track Tour....

Suggest you get onto our blog and sign up. You'll find a post for the September Tour, just add your name as confirmed. http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday....php?board=2.0

Its going to be Epic
Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Block bookings at Hilton sound good on a share basis. Just don't ask for the honeymoon suite I'll go with whatever in Palmy or Fielding. It can't be worse than my hotels over the last three weeks and it is only one night.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

+1 on a Thursday drive down. Convoy sounds good. A pity my 964 doesn't have the 996TT radar and laser set up, except I do have my V1 somewhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hello Chaps,
Good news for me.
Dates changed, everyone happy and I'm in for the N.I track tour.
I'll go with the flow with accom etc, I'll come down on the morning of, early.
Who and how much do I pay?

Dave
Great news, the more the merrier. I'll have to see if Scott is interested, although to date he's had other priorities.

Quick Reply: NZers Track Tour Spring 2013