Notices

NZers Track Tour Spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave Ill discount you the $9.99 NZD for the magazine when you come to buy it!

P.S. Damn the exchange rate sucks! My lastest purchases around 9% more now than the average back in 2010/11 when I last ordered higher $$ items from USA. This is when having an AUD income all of a sudden doesn't seem so good!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Looks great. Will I need so many coats if I only cover the centre of my wheels? Can you mask easily or does the coating stick to everything ?
Will need at least 4 coats. Masking I believe isn't on unless you unmask while it is still wet or it will tear the edge. Because it needs plenty of coats, it would need masking each time. It has an uncanny ability to shear itself off on ridges and detail, so overspray - provided it is thick and has a definite edge from the masking placed out a little from the edge you want - will peel off up to the nearest defined detail. Not sure of your D90 detail where it meets the rim outers but it must have a minute negative detail there.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Will need at least 4 coats. Masking I believe isn't on unless you unmask while it is still wet or it will tear the edge. Because it needs plenty of coats, it would need masking each time. It has an uncanny ability to shear itself off on ridges and detail, so overspray - provided it is thick and has a definite edge from the masking placed out a little from the edge you want - will peel off up to the nearest defined detail. Not sure of your D90 detail where it meets the rim outers but it must have a minute negative detail there.
I have a clean edge. Does it look doable?
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Hello Macca, it would be great if we could ship the Heigo's together. Not sure where mine is but can't be far now. I think I confirmed early June with Gert.

The new mods look good, but being a true kiwi, I place no value on these when we are negotiating over your car!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I have a clean edge. Does it look doable?
That will work well. Mask in an inch or so on the wheel polished lip and make sure the coats on the lip are as thick as the rest of the job. after the 4 or 5 coats are dry, Work up an end and pull and it will shear nicely along the negative detail.
What looks like a thick application that with normal paint would be a disaster flattens off quite nicely.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Maxem
Drifting

John, those Frankenstein D90 are growing on me. I'm a big fan of 80's Carrera's in white or red with black Fuchs and polished lips. These D90's could get close to those at 50 paces if the detail was blacked out and the rims spiffed up a bit.
They would lend themselves to some CNC machined Fuchs look centers one day.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, those Frankenstein D90 are growing on me. I'm a big fan of 80's Carrera's in white or red with black Fuchs and polished lips. These D90's could get close to those at 50 paces if the detail was blacked out and the rims spiffed up a bit.
They would lend themselves to some CNC machined Fuchs look centers one day.
You have more vision than I do...
Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Gents. If any of you have car nerd friends wanting to do our Taupo 13th Track Day please could you make an effort to communicate to them that they can contact Tony or Gary at Playday and join in for the day for $220 a head.

Matt in Taupo. Have you booked yet?

No, as it turns out I will be in Canada for a few months from the start of August - which is good in some ways......!! (or at least the bank account will thank me)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hello Macca, it would be great if we could ship the Heigo's together. Not sure where mine is but can't be far now. I think I confirmed early June with Gert.

The new mods look good, but being a true kiwi, I place no value on these when we are negotiating over your car!
LOL. Precisely why the car will likely sell to the UK in 30 or 40 years time when my estate sell it!

No idea on the Heigo but I ordered mine in April and I need to get it to NZ by mid July in time for the painting to be done so it can be installed first week of August...
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Peter, definitely in the 996TT on Saturday. The C4 is having final fettling done. Apparently they are not happy with the clutch pedal position. The RS kit has a short range of travel. They have been in touch with Steve R and confirmed that a manufactured adjustable rod is advisable. Also getting Peter to check and adjust the suspension.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, definitely in the 996TT on Saturday. The C4 is having final fettling done. Apparently they are not happy with the clutch pedal position. The RS kit has a short range of travel. They have been in touch with Steve R and confirmed that a manufactured adjustable rod is advisable. Also getting Peter to check and adjust the suspension.
Yes, saw your fleet of cars this morning at Conti's - and checked out the banner fitment on the 6T - nice job but see what you mean about the shape - quite different curve to the C4.

Having the Endless pads on today.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

We need to collectively buy our own workshop and team of techs. Between us all and with daily drivers we could almost break even!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Yes, saw your fleet of cars this morning at Conti's - and checked out the banner fitment on the 6T - nice job but see what you mean about the shape - quite different curve to the C4.

Having the Endless pads on today.
You've moved to having work done at Contis?

Had a look at the mark David mentioned on the 964 windscreen. Looks perfect for banner placement. With the knowledge I have now I think this is a 20 minute job.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

South Island Tour itinerary email is out. Great tour but we're probably too late from the get go to book the suggested hotels/motels.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've moved to having work done at Contis?
I couldn't juggle some work commitments, kids being dropped off and manage to get over and back to Newton twice in the same day. Contis is very close to home and I've had no issue at all on simple jobs like changing pads & rotors. (Plus I need an excuse to go and lust after their stock from time to time!)

Speaking of Contis, I arrived at work today to find a colleague driving a 2011 3.8 GT3 - gorgeous comfort spec in dark grey - just picked up from there. My first advice to him was go and spend a few more $k learning how to drive it properly. He'd only lasted 6 weeks in a 997 Turbo before getting bored....

Quick Reply: NZers Track Tour Spring 2013