Notices

NZers Track Tour Spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
These are the static cling on ones we had made in the USA on a different forum. The square clear backing comes away to leave just the letters...there were also external ones we got which were larger (as seen on the 993 engine lid). I thought given my car is already self designated a an "anniversary" edition on of these would look nice somewhere on the car...just some ideas for the Rennsport Gruppe one thats all....
I'm happy to have subtle stickers on my window but that's about it for me. Excepting the banner and the Carrera decal I'm not sure what else I'll put on the car. I fitted the original Carrera 4 badge, but it likely won't go on the ducktail. Right now all I've got for that is a subtle 3.6 in billet for the grille. Was it Doug who had talented progeny who could design something?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. Keep it simple. Im thinking of replacing the "anniversary" decals I have at the base before the rear guards with the "911-50" ones for a little while as a change. For the base of the rear window a white "Rennsport Gruppe" one in white cut out vinyl static cling would be nice. At present having nothing on the windows so don't want to create clutter but the RSG one would mean something to me. As for the banner Ill only run these for track Days I suspect as a bit garish for road application maybe.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, they will hear you coming long before they see you.

I won't put a banner on the Turbo 3.6 but the C4 could use some colour and the 996 is relatively subtle in red on white. At the price you won't feel bad using them for a short period.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Too true!
I agree. Great price. Disposable. Looks good on 996TT and definitely good pick me up for C4.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave, the positioning is the key part. Once you have the line right, the rest is easy. Which combo did you fit? Is it up for viewing? I expect to fit one to the C4 this Friday.
Went with red on white first up after a family vote. Not to hard but trimming around the curve was interesting. Trimming along the straights i used the knife in tandem with a credit card moving at the same speed. Easy.
All that talk of Plastidip on the other thread made me get a couple of cans. Will finish the wheels on one side tonight. 1 can will do 5 coats on 2 D90 wheels. I'm really starting to like my D90's.
Photos of work to date coming soon.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Right, I think I will put the white on red on the C4 as it's a light car and needs some contrast.

Very interested to see how the Plastidip goes. With the Fuchs I now have the ability to take all four 3 piece wheels off the car and renovate at once.

BTW: I decided to remain a neighbourhood pest and keep the bypass pipe on.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
BTW: I decided to remain a neighbourhood pest and keep the bypass pipe on.
Good call!

Any reason you wouldn't put the new wheels on for this weekend? Given they have the Hankooks on isn't a pretty straightforward swap. Or do you need to work with spacers and camber to fit them in?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Good call!

Any reason you wouldn't put the new wheels on for this weekend? Given they have the Hankooks on isn't a pretty straightforward swap. Or do you need to work with spacers and camber to fit them in?
I'll be in the 996TT this weekend. No point stressing myself to get the C4 track ready in a couple of days.

BTW: The Fuchs are a direct fit to 964s. No spacers required.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

A few tips for Plastidip application.
Mask the tyre not far from the bead, I didn't and as the coating thins out it doesn't peel off the tyre with the bulk. 1/2 hour later and worn out fingers it's all done. 5 coats as thick as I dare isn't really enough to get a decent enough thickness skin to get it to peel away from the tyre detail, and upon close inspection, tyres have a lot of junk on the sidewalls. Went with grey as an exploratory possible finish when I persuade one of you gents out of your cup 1's.

Banner looks good.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

The banner
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Maxem
Drifting

my other big purchase today.
This notoriety Doesn't mean Its worth any more Macca when I buy it off you.....
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
The banner
Looks better on the 964 than the 996. I think it's the clean curve on the roof line. Before fitting the banner I'd never noticed the compound curve.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A few tips for Plastidip application.
Mask the tyre not far from the bead, I didn't and as the coating thins out it doesn't peel off the tyre with the bulk. 1/2 hour later and worn out fingers it's all done. 5 coats as thick as I dare isn't really enough to get a decent enough thickness skin to get it to peel away from the tyre detail, and upon close inspection, tyres have a lot of junk on the sidewalls. Went with grey as an exploratory possible finish when I persuade one of you gents out of your cup 1's.

Banner looks good.
Looks great. Will I need so many coats if I only cover the centre of my wheels? Can you mask easily or does the coating stick to everything ?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

my other big purchase today.
This notoriety Doesn't mean Its worth any more Macca when I buy it off you.....
Wheels look good David. Nice matt finish too. Wont show brake dust now. Those D90s were a solid wheel and quite light as well.

Hope you enjoy the magazine article. They told me issues with Porsche dont usually sell as well (people like to read about Holden's n NZ LOL!). I reckon we have a good chance of proving them wrong for July Edition!

Im getting very jealous over here with the upgrades guys. Apart form fitting the Trackit GPS, Monit Rally computer and ugluy 2kg fire extinguisher for the Targa last year I havent done anything to my ride for 24 months so Im getting withdrawal symptoms!

I do however have a few sneaky things in transit. Heigo finally came through with the half cage so thats on its way from Germany to Belgium before shipping to NZ. Im not sure if yours is ready yet David but told Gert to let us know and maybe ship them together if it is. here is some suspension **** but not sure when it will get fitted. There is also some CF **** coming....then there is a used trunk carpet I will cut into an RS style carpet and the RS washer bottle which I will have custom fabricated to accept the standard cars low washer fluid float. Just not sure how/when I will get all this fitted. Unlikely to get it all done before NITT unfortunately...
Attached Images               
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Got to stop looking at Rennlist. A post on the 964 forum pointed out that Pelican have the Momo Mod 07 for USD 193. Add shipping and it's NZD 330 landed.

Quick Reply: NZers Track Tour Spring 2013