Notices

NZers Track Tour Spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John, Did you call them? I have only just sent them an email so if the rooms are all gone then Ive missed out too. If thats the case maybe you can book us also for the Carricj Lodge or supply me the details and Ill contact them tomorrow...
Macca, I emailed them. They replied that, "Sorry to say but all the rooms that were allocated for the Playday group have been booked already" I will book a couple of rooms at Carrick tomorrow. They are on tripadvisor. Actually better ranked than Golden Gate.

Any news on the Playday road trip? This is becoming bigger than Ben hur.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in as having missed out as well. Geez you have to be quick!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks John. Well go Carrick. I emailed Steve R about the accommodation this arvo and got a reply this evening. He was going to email our group about tacking on 2-3 days either side of the event for some touring and was going to cover off this accommodation Tiny email about. Too late now. I guess for the other locations there is far more choice and we need to take a coordinated approach so all staying at the same place otherwise ends up like the Sydney event where everyone in a different part of town...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

And I thought 9-10 months out we had plenty of time for this. Be interested to know if everyone is doing the drive down and back and what the dates look like around that. I'm now thinking that I'll drive down but get a transporter back from Chch. Still not sure about the 2nd wheel set - have visions of John, his 3 passengers and one in the frunk!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Booked three large studios at Carrick Lodge Motel. 2 pax per room. Has good reviews on Tripadvisor. Most importantly, it's a place to sleep as I'm getting more and more concerned about the competition here. Booking is fully cancellable. Room is $165 per night. We can work out the finer details later.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And I thought 9-10 months out we had plenty of time for this. Be interested to know if everyone is doing the drive down and back and what the dates look like around that. I'm now thinking that I'll drive down but get a transporter back from Chch. Still not sure about the 2nd wheel set - have visions of John, his 3 passengers and one in the frunk!
I'm definitely approaching this as a road trip as much as a track tour. It will be epic. Open to join in with others. However, based on your quote, I will likely weight my trip to the fron end and finish at Christchurch. I'll transport the car back. $700 is reasonable considering the costs you would incur anyway e.g. ferry, fuel, oil (for non refreshed engines ).

As for wheels, yes, I am seriously looking at bringing them in the car. They won't want to stop at every McDs and won't complain about speed, wind, noise. The perfect passengers!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Thanks for taking care of Carrick. Those rooms sound perfect. let me know payment details when needed.

I too an treating this as much a tour as a track event. Infact more so the tour element as the tracks will be new and I will be taking it easy to ensure the touring part doesnt end prematurely! Ive never really been to the Sth Island properly (apart from a visit to CHCH and 4 days in Nelson). Im the classic stereotype of someone whos travelled to almost 40 countries but not see his own fully! Therefore the touring part will be of most interest and with a gaggle or Porsches it will be so much more fun - especially as we can perhaps have a litttle driving seat time in each others cars to aid in evening debates over a bevvy!

Its March and one hopes its warm so I was hoping to stick with one set of wheels and tyres. Im not into complex logistics. I do have a roof rack and pod for the 993 but suspect the wife will fill this as from experience with the Targa Tour the 993 car only realistically hold gear for 7 days away.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok. Banners are ready. I can't pick them up so will be couriered to my office tomorrow. Then the fun part of working out how to distribute and sort out payment.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Perhaps you could drop mine off with Dean when you are next visiting. Hes collecting stuff for me for work in August. PM me your account details and Ill transfer funds...

I got a call from Golden Gate this morning. They received my email and as I was attending form offshore offered me their last room. Very kind of them but I declined. Apparently all there rooms were taken in 4 hours and they said all the accommodation in the area would fill up today/tomorrow so if you haven't organised your accommodation already get in quick or you may have to sleep in your Porsche!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
mjg
Pro

I'll grab one of those beds at Carrick if possible please, and am happy to go in with others elsewhere too. Seems to make sense to try to book together and stick together.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok, just rang them. I have changed the booking to 1 small studio [takes a couple or two singles] and 2 1 bedroom units [takes up to 3, two in the room and 1 in the living area]. They still have good availability so ring NOW if you want a room on top of that. So far I've looked after Macca, Peter, Matt and myself.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 PM
mjg
Pro

Thanks John!

Prices for shipping cars are out and not looking too bad ($1125 Auckland to Invercargill, $704 Christchurch to Auckland). It'll cost roughly $450 in gas, $175 on the ferry plus 3-4 nights accommodation ($500 total?) and food/other expenses to drive down, not counting the cost of putting 1,600km on the car. If driving down on R compounds rather than sending an extra set of wheels probably include 50% of the cost of a new set of tyres too.

I was thinking of shipping my car from Auckland to Invercargill and driving it home, but if others are interested in touring together in the other direction I might be keen to tag along.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Thanks John!

Prices for shipping cars are out and not looking too bad ($1125 Auckland to Invercargill, $704 Christchurch to Auckland). It'll cost roughly $450 in gas, $175 on the ferry plus 3-4 nights accommodation ($500 total?) and food/other expenses to drive down, not counting the cost of putting 1,600km on the car. If driving down on R compounds rather than sending an extra set of wheels probably include 50% of the cost of a new set of tyres too.

I was thinking of shipping my car from Auckland to Invercargill and driving it home, but if others are interested in touring together in the other direction I might be keen to tag along.
Matt, most of the talk so far is a road trip down. It doesn't make economic sense, to drive either way, but it would be good to make sure the cars are sorted before attacking tracks at the other end of the country. Plus I sense there are 70 odd other cars and bikes that could be doing the same thing. What an atmosphere that will be.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Im in for the road trip down. Probably heading back a fairly direct route (2 nights). Im thinking its a once in a long time event for us so will be enjoying some NZ summer on the way down and wouldd be good to do it with a few P cars in convoy...
Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Hi. I'm thinking of making it a full road trip, at least 10 days, a good look around the South Island is a big part of the trip for me. My understanding is that there are 10 or 11 of us on this trip so I will book a couple more rooms. I'm sure it won't be an issue if we end up with too many when we sort everything out.

John. I can pay you for the banners on the 29th.

Quick Reply: NZers Track Tour Spring 2013