Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. If your looking to do the targa proper it would make sense to sell the C3 as it is now an buy a race prepared car. Like most on here scanning TM there appears to be a regular supply of suitable 911 race prepped vehicles on the market between 35-65k. There is a targa prepped boxster S in CHCH I think would sell around 40k. It looks like a great place to start for a season or two. You could have the front guards, valence, wings, rear guards cosmetically painted on the C3 prior to sale for around 3k (cash?) Im sure if your ok helping with some of the prep work. If you keep it leave it as is - IMHO that race patina looks damn sexy - makes it look like its being used within its design specification. The little red Kilpatrick speedster was one of my favorite cars at the parade. Not the sound or the performance but when you got close just the battle scars and pock marks. Relatively speaking paint is probably one of the cheapest repairs to make on a 911 which is appreciating - can be done any time as soon as it is done guarantee you'll reverse into a garbage can and scratch it!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Paul, PM'ed you. Maccas post reminded me of a car!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mark,

I don't think I would sell my C3. I enjoy the car to much. I would liken to parting with a limb.

The idea would be to put the C3 aside for a while - cosmetically tidy up and use for Sunday runs.

I really need a road legal race car. Ideally I'd like a Carrera RS Replica that I could race in the TACCOC events.

Mind you - the white 993 Targa car would be of interest too......I am guessing the reason this car doesn't sell is because it's not competitive in any race series. It's probably overpriced...... competitive race Porsche's tend to change hands privately.........

All this will need to take a back seat for the next 12 months with baba due this weekend and a new house project on the way. We will see..........
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Best wishes for the new family addition!

Your idea of keeping the C3 is a good one. You know everything about that car now and you'd only regret selling it later. Ive been temped to buy a targa car but I know every nut and bolt and the work that's been done and I dont have that confidence in something new to me.

The white 993 is a point in case. A really good platform but its neither road nor race car at this time. The engine and suspension need alot more work to make it competitive and although the cage is done its running pretty much street trim (probably around 1370kg). A good track car isnt the same as a good Targa car on NZ B roads and this car meets neither specific well. Its a great buy if its easy converted back to road car as thats where the future value in the 993 lies but I think it may take too much money to do now the cage is in. There are so many tasty options out there. I saw a 350Z race/targa car for sale for 35k - competitive car too - everything done and maybe ok for TACCOC. 35k with spares! This is where I feel maybe another Mrque is better value. Porsches are expensive to run when offs are a possibility - parts are the problem - especially for older cars - expensive!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Best wishes for the new family addition!

There are so many tasty options out there. I saw a 350Z race/targa car for sale for 35k - competitive car too - everything done and maybe ok for TACCOC. 35k with spares! This is where I feel maybe another Mrque is better value. Porsches are expensive to run when offs are a possibility - parts are the problem - especially for older cars - expensive!
Thanks Mark.

I agree with your comments - Motor Racing is insanely expensive. I should have brought another rental (but you only live once and it's a nice distraction from working 6-7 days a week).

I reckon an E30 BMW would be interesting, firstly it's not a Honda (actually I don't have anything against Honda's), secondly you can buy someone else's race car for $15K. An engine replacement is only $2-3K and there is a race series with 30-40 cars in.

Talking to Porsche Club people at the track on Sunday, they are looking to develop a Group D for all the old 924/944 race cars sitting around and an open class (bring whatever you have with a cage) to make up the grid numbers in Bridgestone......Personally - I reckon a Group D would be dangerous - imagine several GT3's on about lap three trying to overtake you while in 'race mode', you would be a mobile cone.....
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. "Group D" - You'd have to shorten the race to make it work safely. In which case you be better off not having it at all. They pull it of at Le mans but they have more width, bigger run off, longer straights and overall around 3-4 x the length of the longest NZ track!

Im actually for heavily regulated classes. I think the sport should be about driving skill.

The E30 sounds like a great idea. Its a great platform, light adjustable and rear wheel drive. Your right the Integral fails. It needs to me rear wheel drive for enthusiasts. I think thats where the European stuff usually falls. But the Japas have been successful there too with the Miata and the 350Z and Silvia/Skyline series offshore. By 2nd or 3rd season you can buy a page for 40k used and go racing with minimal overheads.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

OK - who do you guys recommend for doing a semi-repaint

I went to Ray Haslar Autohaus last time and got totally ripped off..........

Who would you recommend?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive used Ray Hasler in the past but I have a good perosnal relationship with Stefan and do alot of teh pre prep myself.

I would try the crowd in the PCNZ magazine. Forgot their name. I think they have a blue 993TT in their advert. They have been getting into Porsche work. Pretty sure its the same guy who owned the car Ashley just bought. He re painted that (I think) and it looks good. The blue 993TT at the Parade looked like good work to me too.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 AM
cbnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 993TT was done by Topline Panel & Paint, Kevin Etches. Very fussy, does a great job. 09 2763816
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macca - not sure what problem you see running a D class; yes there is speed differential but its no different to running a reverse grid. Speed differential is still less than NZGT. Learning to be passed is a part of race craft and the guys with GT3's are not inclined to low percentage moves.

The club did an allcomers Porsche race meeting (3races) several years ago at Hampton Downs with GT3's to 2 litre 924s (they got lapped twice in the same race) but no issue passing.

E30 class has its own issues - a large number of mid field cars with identical performance so lots of leaning on one another to make a pass. A $15k E30 won't put you in a front running car
Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I've used Steve Nuich on HW16 just out of westgate a few times. VGery good, very professional. My parents have taken their cars there including a few racecars.

A place called CPR in Orewa popped up on my local forums and I looked at their facebook page. they look pretty good and seem to get a lot of porsches through their doors.
https://www.facebook.com/CustomPaintandReSprays?ref=ts
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi George. It sounds like it could work then. My issue isn't with group D. Infact I think thats a category that deserves some growth. I was reflecting on Paul's feedback regards comments made mixing D with open class. I agree learning to allow faster cars to pass is part of the deal but typically class D attracts new talent and race craft takes time and experience to learn. I figure you'll be mixing machinery with 4--500 bhp with 170-220 bhp which could make for frustration from each quarter. The boxsters sound like alot of fun. Caymans too....
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 AM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone wanting to join the Bridgestone race series would be well looked after by the experienced racers. There is lots of support and coaching for new drivers on how to race and what to do and the onus is always on the overtaking driver to make a clean pass - made easier with lots of HP ;-)

It would only be an issue if 3 or 4 D class cars started blocking which would soon resolve itself - seriously not an issue.

We all had to start somewhere and its a great bunch to race with
Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Paul, sorry you had to miss out on the PCNZ driver training, it was a great day. Sounds like you had something rather more important to deal with, I hope everything went well?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeNZ
Anyone wanting to join the Bridgestone race series would be well looked after by the experienced racers. There is lots of support and coaching for new drivers on how to race and what to do and the onus is always on the overtaking driver to make a clean pass - made easier with lots of HP ;-)

It would only be an issue if 3 or 4 D class cars started blocking which would soon resolve itself - seriously not an issue.

We all had to start somewhere and its a great bunch to race with
Thanks for the feedback George - as someone more experienced in racing than most of us - your feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 07-03-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?