Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

John McM 07-05-2014 06:11 AM

AIM is best. I don't think anything else is accurate enough to separate 13 people's times without 'discussions'.

Maxem 07-05-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11487263)
Yep, I'll sit it out on the 19 th too. Hope its wet so we can stay on the top of the leaderboard. Are you allowed your loaner 911 on the track?

I'm all set for a day at the wheel of a 911. I've yet to tell Macca which sessions I'd like the 991 for. Short of that I have lined up a car to drive.

O2GO 07-05-2014 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Maxem (Post 11487266)
I'm all set for a day at the wheel of a 911. I've yet to tell Macca which sessions I'd like the 991 for. Short of that I have lined up a car to drive.

Ha ha. Great.

John McM 07-05-2014 06:21 AM

Black Beauty First session and overall leaderboard

Session 1

1. Doug 1.30.856
2. John 1.31.471
3. Dave 1.32.262 (Damp)

Overall fastest regardless of session numbers

1. Dave 1.28.502
2. Doug 1.29.401
3. John 1.31.471

gt38088 07-05-2014 09:04 AM

Me neither. Track, improve and fast drive Porsches and race/thrash cheap Jap stuff. Like Graeme's approach, although I'm not saying his rally car is cheap
I know what you mean Doug. I was down at the race workshop today looking at the Fraser. Think I may have caught the gearbox disease from SITT. Have pulled the box and am going to take a look at the condition of the gears/syncros as it was a bit crunchy at the end if SITT and I have Macca's words ringing in my ears "should have pulled it out earlier and then done more minor maintenance" or similar such words.

Given 10,000km mainly on track (over 10 years) and I have never done any big repair work just fluid changes, tyres etc its all to be expected I guess.

Macca 07-05-2014 03:51 PM

Graeme you are a smarter man than us I suspect!
The cost of a brand new box for a Fraser is probably less than the rebuild of a G50. I think I know the answer but have you ever used your Porsches for road/track work or have they been road cars only? I suspect your answer here is partly why you have a successful and perpetual Motorsport calendar!!!

O2GO 07-05-2014 03:55 PM

+1

Graeme, what a brilliant run with the Frazer.

Obsessed 07-05-2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by CS Mende (Post 11487264)
Only one wreck today when the super tourer punted a Honda into the wall.

Steve wore out the go pedal, so Pete got a crash course lesson on racing without one.

Some great battles, minors offs and two cars back on trailers under their own power.

Chris/Pete/Matt, tell us more! Congrats on finishing, to start with.

John McM 07-05-2014 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11487882)
Graeme you are a smarter man than us I suspect! The cost of a brand new box for a Fraser is probably less than the rebuild of a G50. I think I know the answer but have you ever used your Porsches for road/track work or have they been road cars only? I suspect your answer here is partly why you have a successful and perpetual Motorsport calendar!!!

Agree. The flat 6 racers have telephone number budgets, Steve tells me that 944 racing isn't low cost either. Given my car budget is effectively salary sourced, with a possible capital injection from a fleet sale, I'm now thinking that 944 may be the goal in a couple of years not the next stepping point. Running BB for a session has opened my eyes to 2kCup as a real starting option. Funny how the old heads in the game are usually right!

John McM 07-05-2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Obsessed (Post 11488046)
Chris/Pete/Matt, tell us more! Congrats on finishing, to start with.

Chris 3rd and Pete 5th, according to Chris. You cans also check out mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1043089

O2GO 07-05-2014 06:26 PM

Racing profile pics it is then John :-P

John McM 07-05-2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11488144)
Racing profile pics it is then John :-P

Yes. A great photo by Gary. Herman looks dynamic there. 964 wash day today as the GPW shows up a lot of road dirt and I want to start the base work on getting the Turbo 3.6 looking its best (Donna nixed naming it). BB will never have a dirt problem!

Macca 07-05-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11488119)
Agree. The flat 6 racers have telephone number budgets, Steve tells me that 944 racing isn't low cost either. Given my car budget is effectively salary sourced, with a possible capital injection from a fleet sale, I'm now thinking that 944 may be the goal in a couple of years not the next stepping point. Running BB for a session has opened my eyes to 2kCup as a real starting option. Funny how the old heads in the game are usually right!

I agree with that you say here.

I don't think running a 944 race car will be remarkably cheaper than fielding a 964 race car frankly. Not from my experience running a 968 on the road in any case. These are still Porsche parts afterall. You pretty much MUST look to Japanese for cost and reliability in performance cars for the track/race I believe.

Like others on here I field a 911 at the track with no financial consideration at all. Its simply the fulfilment of dream for me and Im very passionate about 911s. Quite honestly wouldn't change a thing Im doing and prepared to shoulder the fiscal pain for the pleasure of driving my visceral 911s on track.

That being said if I were doing it again I would not use the 993/964 as a base for this passion.

I 100% would go immediately to used 997 GT3 and put the money I saved on old car maintenance issues directly into depreciation and "event money".

I am 100% convinced this is the way to go, although I appreciate it is definitely something special having an older aircooled 911 on the track and probably a luxury that in 10-15 years will be unheard of (due to cost to run and scarcity/rarity value). So I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to run one of the most developed 993 road cars in the country on the track, fast road and hopefully more future Targa Tours. I dont think I will be doing this in the 993 in 4-5 years time if I am perfectly honest.

Depending on how compelling my 991 GT3 is on track this may be the turning point for me to make the change earlier. The car has a PDK-S gearbox which virtually eliminates the chance of a money shift or damage to the synchros due to aggressive uplifts and poorly timed heel & toe. The car comes with a 4 years warranty which includes for the first for a GT3 time use of the vehicle on the track. Throw into the mix what the car owes me after the TBA compensation package and bringing it myself and quite honestly I dont think there will ever be an opportunity as good as this for me to run a brand new atmo GT3 at the track for less money in terms of overall depreciation/maintenance etc vs fun factor! I also believe strongly that the GT3 will dissapear as we know it very shortly and become a turbo...they already started with the gearbox....I can live with the paddle shift box but I cant live without a 9000 rpm atmo screamer engine thanks!

In terms of running a competition car I have not waive-red from my position on page 400 & something of this thread. One make series would be my choice (Suzuki, GT86, MX5 etc). Id love to compete on a "level playing field" as I think it would lead to faster personal development.

Sunday thoughts concluded....:-)

Macca 07-05-2014 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11488165)
Yes. A great photo by Gary. Herman looks dynamic there. 964 wash day today as the GPW shows up a lot of road dirt and I want to start the base work on getting the Turbo 3.6 looking its best (Donna nixed naming it). BB will never have a dirt problem!

How did the gymkhana go?

John McM 07-05-2014 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11488227)
How did the gymkhana go?

I found the straight slalom and clover leaf run fun but let's face it Clive might as well have a permanent trophy here, using hand brake etc.

I didn't do the fourth run as I wasn't there at the explanation and BB was distracting me.