Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

Macca 01-01-2014 02:07 AM

Paul. You sure are right about these cars needing to be run. One or two years out of the 8 I've been away my 993 did only 1500km pa and it ran much better since I increased that annual mileage. I know craig did suspension and seats but I have no idea about chip.

A few track days is a good way to shake out the age related issues. I thought my car was 100 percent till NITT. When I got back from that dean said my rear toe arms had started to show play. Probably could have gone another few years on the road before it became an issue. We know from the cars history with suspension and arb upgrade plus seats etc it should run 1.18s at Hd based on the Manfield minus 2 rule. You can probably find the cars best times manfield from the old pcnz mags. Craig was a fairly handy driver and manfield was his local but will give you an idea what it can do with proper suspension tyres geo and junking 50kg of armchairs. On standard suspension I should think 1.21-22s in your hands very realistic on good street rubber...

By the way your kidding re the 7/10ths once you are out there you will go balls to the wall and you know it lol!

Macca 01-01-2014 02:21 AM

Paul. Great summary and strategy. I believe all the 993 needs out of the box at tgis age is better suspension auspension and a geo. With the right tyres you will then be suprised how capable it is if Craigs experience and times are anything to go by. Not many in NZ have tracked 993s but those that have have had favourable results.

As for track cars I think your strategy here is also sound primarily as I assume you will race in a series eventually like Pete. A 911 race car would be great though. There is nothing like a 911 IMO.

The 991 GT3 is the first GT3 they have made that fits every bill IMO. I've driven the car every which way bar the track - where the mags say its as quick as 12c - and especially for NZ UK and europe B roads its a huge step up on what's gone before and perfectly manageable as DD. Its 20 years newew than the 993 so no suprises really...

John McM 01-01-2014 02:37 AM

Scott will join us on Sunday. I think that makes six of us.

peterC2S 01-01-2014 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016351)
Give me back my suspension :crying:

Classic - the hand of Macca at play again!!! Don't worry he'll sell them back to you when he buys the Motons...

peterC2S 01-01-2014 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016435)
Or a director of Western Bay Health for several years.......... (not sure you can do this while serving time??)

having a murderer as a previous owner would make for a more interesting story though??

The 'bridge' (in David Bainbridge) may be superfluous...

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11016506)
Scott will join us on Sunday. I think that makes six of us.

Mike - you know you want to.........the 3 amigo's on the track??

Pete - what are you doing with your 964 track tires on the 11th........??

O2GO 01-01-2014 03:06 AM

10 Attachment(s)
SITT reckie completed today. When the tour goes from Franz Joseph Glacier to Queenstown I strongly recommend taking a couple of hours out to shoot down from Haast to (the world famous) The Cray Pot at Jackson Bay (about a half hour easy drive). It is the western most point you can drive on the West Coast. The sea food is to die for and it is a completely unique Kiwi experience. Due to an on-going rock fall problem the road through Haast Pass is closed from 7pm each night and the road closes going in at Haast at 6pm. We wont have problems with that but worth knowing. Ive attached a few pics of the trip (5 hours return from Wanaka in the land cruiser)

peterC2S 01-01-2014 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11016493)
As for track cars I think your strategy here is also sound primarily as I assume you will race in a series eventually like Pete. A 911 race car would be great though. There is nothing like a 911 IMO..

A 911 race car will cost you a lot more to buy and a lot more to own though. Its a real dilemma as 911s are special - am realising that at the moment while 944 is out of action and I have nothing to drive on the road while waiting for the CS to arrive. The 964 was genuinely the best car I've ever owned and I'm missing it!! Best in a subjective 'feel-good' way rather than technical as the 997S was easily the most capable.

Looking forward to catch up on Sunday - Paul, do you fancy picking me up on the way round as not sure I can bear turning up in the Mazda-rati....

peterC2S 01-01-2014 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016520)
Mike - you know you want to.........the 3 amigo's on the track??

Pete - what are you doing with your 964 track tires on the 11th........??

The 964 tyres were well gone after the NITT - I haven't replaced them so they are still on the rims - but corded on the outside of the fronts (rears have life left). If you wanted to swap left and right fronts onto opposite rims they would do the day for you.... maybe!! Alternatively I have a set of RE55s with some life left, just no rims to fit them. Or you could use the 235/255 221s off the 944 if its not back on the road in time. My ball joint kit is on the way - just not sure if priority shipping will be fast enough... fingers crossed though, I have serious withdrawal after only 2 sessions last time out.

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11016522)
A 911 race car will cost you a lot more to buy and a lot more to own though. Its a real dilemma as 911s are special - am realising that at the moment while 944 is out of action and I have nothing to drive on the road while waiting for the CS to arrive. The 964 was genuinely the best car I've ever owned and I'm missing it!! Best in a subjective 'feel-good' way rather than technical as the 997S was easily the most capable.

Looking forward to catch up on Sunday - Paul, do you fancy picking me up on the way round as not sure I can bear turning up in the Mazda-rati....

Yeah - I feel the pain on the 911 front, this hobby has cost $2-5K a month for the last 3 years and my visa company likes me so much, I've been upgraded to platinum!!

Arrrrrr ........ the track cocaine has me........

No Prob's - text me your address and I'll swing by.

Cheers
PM

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11016528)
The 964 tyres were well gone after the NITT - I haven't replaced them so they are still on the rims - but corded on the outside of the fronts (rears have life left). If you wanted to swap left and right fronts onto opposite rims they would do the day for you.... maybe!! Alternatively I have a set of RE55s with some life left, just no rims to fit them. Or you could use the 235/255 221s off the 944 if its not back on the road in time. My ball joint kit is on the way - just not sure if priority shipping will be fast enough... fingers crossed though, I have serious withdrawal after only 2 sessions last time out.

What's wrong with the 44??

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 03:34 AM

Doug,

Do you have an itinerary for the SITT yet? I am trying to get Jenni to fly down for 2-3 days and this is quite a logistical issue when you have an 18 month and 3 year old at home. We actually need to plan for this now........Is it possible to squeeze Milford Sound in?

Jen will have zero interest in the track days but will be keen on the scenic drives.......

Cheers
PM

peterC2S 01-01-2014 03:36 AM

Ball joints failed WOF (and they are dangerous on track when worn). Apparently its a problem with the lowered stance on 944s used for racing - quite a few let go in the series every year. One of Chris's let go at the track and it blew out his front guard so not keen to tempt fate and repeat that. Will maybe require new arms but will try the rebuild kit first.

peterC2S 01-01-2014 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016541)
Doug,

Do you have an itinerary for the SITT yet? I am trying to get Jenni to fly down for 2-3 days and this is quite a logistical issue when you have an 18 month and 3 year old at home. We actually need to plan for this now........Is it possible to squeeze Milford Sound in?

Jen will have zero interest in the track days but will be keen on the scenic drives.......

Cheers
PM

Check the dropbox link over on RSG site - SITT thread. And sign up for the 11th while you're over there...

O2GO 01-01-2014 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016541)
Doug, Do you have an itinerary for the SITT yet? I am trying to get Jenni to fly down for 2-3 days and this is quite a logistical issue when you have an 18 month and 3 year old at home. We actually need to plan for this now........Is it possible to squeeze Milford Sound in? Jen will have zero interest in the track days but will be keen on the scenic drives....... Cheers PM

Yes, it is all on-line for you, the last post for the SITT on the rennsportgruppe site. http://www.rennsportgruppe.org.nz/fo...hp?topic=18.75

And yes, there is time for an excursion to Milford while in Queenstown. We have several takers for that (about 7 hours return)