NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I quickly learned that sometimes I was driving one car but decision making for two! Other times like when running side by side with Jimmy Martin , Mike Criscito and others there was just an implicit trust and it was phenomenal!!
That won't change. There's always going to be some of that but when you are racing somebody you can trust it is indeed phenomenal.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
That won't change. There's always going to be some of that but when you are racing somebody you can trust it is indeed phenomenal.
And I said to Frank my mentor if people left the track after the weekend feeling like they had that trust in me and would happily share the track with me again then the rookie weekend was a success! If you are fast but no one wants to be out there with you what's the point of Club Racing???
Old 08-25-2017, 03:31 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
And I said to Frank my mentor if people left the track after the weekend feeling like they had that trust in me and would happily share the track with me again then the rookie weekend was a success! If you are fast but no one wants to be out there with you what's the point of Club Racing???
Yep. I just give those people lots of room and figure they will take themselves out at some point. Unfortunately they often take others out with them.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:51 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Are the lap times up on MyLaps and if so does anyone have a link? Or, does anyone have the time sheets that they might photograph and post?

Just curious

Sorry I missed this one; alas family vaca got in the way. First world problems
Old 08-25-2017, 05:10 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
Are the lap times up on MyLaps and if so does anyone have a link? Or, does anyone have the time sheets that they might photograph and post?

Just curious

Sorry I missed this one; alas family vaca got in the way. First world problems
Not on Mylaps last I looked but you can find the preliminary results on Race Monitor and Race Hero. They don't agree on the Enduro finishing order though.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:50 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Not on Mylaps last I looked but you can find the preliminary results on Race Monitor and Race Hero. They don't agree on the Enduro finishing order though.
Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
While I got hosed out of SPB P1 on the Enduro due to this snafu it was a blast to have to fight through the field on the restart. Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEh0wMJncnw

Overall - it was a wet track until Sunday and the only opportunity to go after the track record (1:31.556) was during a race Sunday late morning as we had no morning warm-up. After dealing with a frustrating SP3 - I finally got free track in Lap 9 and 10 after my tires were not great. Take the journey as I ALMOST get it - so frustrating to get so close twice. It's beatable and think the SPB can get a 1:31.2x in the right conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqDSHP_hfk

Post your Enduro video. Would love to see the car that blocked you for 8 laps.

Last edited by por944s2; 08-25-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

8 laps of blocking is amazing, how the heck can someone do that without getting called out by race control. Surprised none of the flag stations called it in.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:11 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Let's see, you started in P2 and you finished in P 2, didn't lap any SP3 cars, so let's see that blocking video.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:14 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removed per request.

Last edited by FeuerRacing; 08-26-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:45 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGgsmF_pKI

Interesting corners is T1 and T5 and this is just one of many examples on this race and the others are similar. This is a perfect demonstration on what PCA is trying to clarify and get rid of so we a) race with racing room and not get chopped and b) don't have drivers impeding the drivers behind them

Those two things don't make racing fun and this driver earned a worker's choice on this race which shocked me.
Chris, you didn't establish FULL overlap (plus an inch) ahead of the T1 turn-in, so the rules (as they stand) encouraged him to chop you off. If there had been contact, you'd be the one receiving a 13 (Ask me how I know ). In T5, he was "just driving the line" which, according to the rules, he had the right to do unless your FULL overlap (plus an inch) before turn-in had forced him to allow you racing room.

Clear as day :
2. The car ahead at turn in has the corner but does not “own” the corner.
3. Everyone must leave racing room.

Rule 2 directly contradicts itself. Rule 3 is in direct contradiction with the first part of Rule 2 (which is the one getting enforced) and as such it's completely useless. Chopping will continue as long as the rules encourage it and as long as the ones being chopped off get the 13's instead of the ones doing the chopping.

Apparently, as the recent poll about the rules showed, the vast majority of racers seem to prefer it this way.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:10 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Drake, I watched your video a few times and I might be the minority but not sure you can call the move at T1 a chop. You didn't have enough of an advantage to make the pass. The others sections look like the SP3 car is simply drivig his line, not making any true blocks. I have a ton of seat time at TB and looked like you had 2 fairly matched cars going at it, similar to battles I used to have with another SP3 car of similar speed.

You do have a wickedly fast SPB and squeeze every bit out of it.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Drake, I watched your video a few times and I might be the minority but not sure you can call the move at T1 a chop. You didn't have enough of an advantage to make the pass. The others sections look like the SP3 car is simply drivig his line, not making any true blocks.

This was my read as on the chop as well; you weren;t really close enough to be attempting a pass. The "block" in T5 was him tracking out, then going back to the line. He does appear to turn in a bit early, but it's hardly egregious in my opinion.

This is my definition of blocking (attempted):
Old 08-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Drake, I watched your video a few times and I might be the minority but not sure you can call the move at T1 a chop. You didn't have enough of an advantage to make the pass. The others sections look like the SP3 car is simply drivig his line, not making any true blocks. I have a ton of seat time at TB and looked like you had 2 fairly matched cars going at it, similar to battles I used to have with another SP3 car of similar speed.

You do have a wickedly fast SPB and squeeze every bit out of it.
^^^ This - Totally agree with everything, especially the last part.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Every other move feels like blocking when you are following another car. When you are the car in front it feels like you are just doing your thing.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:49 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Guess this is the move that caused all the brouhaha. I'm far from a pro, but I would call this a minor infraction on my behalf and a low probability attempt by the SPB. No harm no foul, lets move on. Zero chance the outcome of the race was in question. Next race I went to better rubber, and motored away.

I'm still trying to figure out how I got 4th in the Enduro, when I was passed by one car, and nailed the pit stop. Oh well.

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown