Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lime Rock PCA Club Race

Old 04-17-2017, 10:31 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
"defensive line..." It's all one and the same. Cheap shot racing..
Peter - can you elaborate a bit on "defensive line"? I always thought "one move" rule is ok... ie if you choose to stay on the inside down the home straight, thats fair game as long as you dont sweep back across or move back and forth like the guy in above video => is this what you mean?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4
Peter - can you elaborate a bit on "defensive line"? I always thought "one move" rule is ok... ie if you choose to stay on the inside down the home straight, thats fair game as long as you dont sweep back across or move back and forth like the guy in above video => is this what you mean?
If a driver is doing everything as well as they can (or have) but turn their focus aft rather than focusing forward, there are two way this can go.

"One move" is perfectly legitimate. The idea of driving down the right side of the Front Straight at LRP to "make the passer take the LONG way around," is fine, as long as "racing room" is given... The classic "over-under" has has been practiced successfully and without contact, tens of thousands of times in the Esses. All good.

But racing is not a static situation. That is the issue I have with a lot of empty, pusillanimous claims I hear at the racetrack when people try and justify chicken$#it moves, or use morally bankrupt reasoning to justify such moves as "just racing." When someone drives their mirrors (and their hands on the wheel follow), I have a problem with that. When someone decides "it's their line," and make sudden, boneheaded moves across the width of the track without regard to the cars in close proximity, I have a problem with that, too. Some people think that "that's racing." It's not.

The first big race I was ever in at LRP, (25,000+ spectators on the hills overlooking the Esses, No Name, on the Skidpad and on the outside of the Front Straight), I had a guy muscle alongside me into Big Bend, then proceed to "allow his car to drift wide" before the second apex. Naturally, faced with the prospect of hitting, getting hit or going off, I went off. Guy tried to buy me a drink and "explain" that that was "just racing" and that it was "his line."

Needless to say, we are not friends...

This is a particularly common issue at fast, sinuous tracks like LRP where people are constantly crossing the width of the track to "set up" for the next turn. It takes mutual respect, 360 awareness and no shortage of skill to give no quarter while still allowing room to exist with those you're racing with. Not sure why I felt so long like the 356 crowd (when I was starting out) were such horses a$$e$, but they sure gave me a lot of data to support that assumption! <grin>

Racing is a thinking person's game, and that is why it's SO obvious when the dumb ones are among us... smh...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

If a driver is doing everything as well as they can (or have) but turn their focus aft rather than focusing forward, there are two way this can go.

"One move" is perfectly legitimate. The idea of driving down the right side of the Front Straight at LRP to "make the passer take the LONG way around," is fine, as long as "racing room" is given... The classic "over-under" has has been practiced successfully and without contact, tens of thousands of times in the Esses. All good.

But racing is not a static situation. That is the issue I have with a lot of empty, pusillanimous claims I hear at the racetrack when people try and justify chicken$#it moves, or use morally bankrupt reasoning to justify such moves as "just racing." When someone drives their mirrors (and their hands on the wheel follow), I have a problem with that. When someone decides "it's their line," and make sudden, boneheaded moves across the width of the track without regard to the cars in close proximity, I have a problem with that, too. Some people think that "that's racing." It's not.

The first big race I was ever in at LRP, (25,000+ spectators on the hills overlooking the Esses, No Name, on the Skidpad and on the outside of the Front Straight), I had a guy muscle alongside me into Big Bend, then proceed to "allow his car to drift wide" before the second apex. Naturally, faced with the prospect of hitting, getting hit or going off, I went off. Guy tried to buy me a drink and "explain" that that was "just racing" and that it was "his line."

Needless to say, we are not friends...

This is a particularly common issue at fast, sinuous tracks like LRP where people are constantly crossing the width of the track to "set up" for the next turn. It takes mutual respect, 360 awareness and no shortage of skill to give no quarter while still allowing room to exist with those you're racing with. Not sure why I felt so long like the 356 crowd (when I was starting out) were such horses a$$e$, but they sure gave me a lot of data to support that assumption! <grin>

Racing is a thinking person's game, and that is why it's SO obvious when the dumb ones are among us... smh...
Thanks for elaborating, makes sense, just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing anything.

I agree with you on some of the folks that downplay/justify that crap, it makes it more annoying when they know and you know what they are doing.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tvr-4
I agree with you on some of the folks that downplay/justify that crap, it makes it more annoying when they know and you know what they are doing.
Bingo. Even more so when the organizers know what they are doing, yet do not act. Just reinforces bad behavior.

Peer pressure is a good thing, and when concentrated, it works.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:15 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Peter, Just a question of curiosity. It appears I will run my first race in the rain. Simon's advice was drive the dry line slower because trying to drive the wet line will stress you out too much so that you will make a mistake. I like his advice, but am curious to hear your opinion.

What line should I rum on my first ever race if it's raining?

Joe
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JP66
Peter, Just a question of curiosity. It appears I will run my first race in the rain. Simon's advice was drive the dry line slower because trying to drive the wet line will stress you out too much so that you will make a mistake. I like his advice, but am curious to hear your opinion.

Joe
Ha! Joe, Simon almost always gives great advice.

Your goal is to finish your races. That's it. Whatever it takes to minimize errors and maximize your chances of staying on the island is what you want to do.

Lime Rock is not a bad rain track, IMO. Avoid standing water and do plenty of reconnaissance... Start easy and ADD SPEED SLOWLY.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Ha! Joe, Simon almost always gives great advice.

Your goal is to finish your races. That's it. Whatever it takes to minimize errors and maximize your chances of staying on the island is what you want to do.

Lime Rock is not a bad rain track, IMO. Avoid standing water and do plenty of reconnaissance... Start easy and ADD SPEED SLOWLY.
I'll add that while the track surface is fine in the rain, do not drop a wheel in the wet grass as there is only one corner (left hander) that you don't have a 94.7% chance of hitting something..
Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'll add that while the track surface is fine in the rain, do not drop a wheel in the wet grass as there is only one corner (left hander) that you don't have a 94.7% chance of hitting something..
Lake Limerock doesn't count?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Lake Limerock doesn't count?
I'll take water over a wall anytime Matt!!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:58 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66

Joe
Weather.com shows 90% chance rain for Fri (practice) and 10% for Sat (races).
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts

So I should just put the new rains on now? Not a bad Idea, they need scuffing and driving around the paddock might be all they get. On the other hand, I've got the rain gear ready to pack so it might hold off.

At least I got the car back together in time. About 10 min ago.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going to check these races out on Saturday. Is there a schedule of what classes race when? I saw the scheduled posted earlier in this thread but it only mentions different color groups (which i'm not familiar with).
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM
car_slave
Pro

It starts with White -- 944s/Boxsters, then it progress through the power until you get to the Orange group with later cup cars.
Can't go wrong with any of the races Plenty of stuff to see in the paddock too.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
I'm going to check these races out on Saturday. Is there a schedule of what classes race when? I saw the scheduled posted earlier in this thread but it only mentions different color groups (which i'm not familiar with).
You'll have a great time. Here is the schedule:

Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm interested to see how the racing is. I am in the process of applying for my PCA club racing license.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lime Rock PCA Club Race