Lime Rock PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Congrats Steve K in C3 with a 53.7. Was a great event, Unfortunately, a little bit of carnage in the second sprint.

Dan Jacobs and his crew did, as usual, an amazing job for their cars, especially putting a C4 car back together between races 1 and 2.
Great to see you, John!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

I wanted to thank everybody on track, the massive amounts of CVR volunteers and the PCA National Staff for making this a great event. I was able to qualify ahead of the locals on Friday, which takes some of the edge off for Race I. Unfortunately, I lost my clutch slave cylinder half way through Race 1 which made it difficult to shift but I got the car across the line using mostly 4th gear. In the second race, I was able to stay on Rick Deman's butt through the T1 excitement and was then able to just run to a consistent 10 - 15 sec gap to whoever was in P2 while they fought their battles with P3.

There was a lot of good heads-up driving, even by the back markers in the Yellow Group and we had some Rookie racers that showed some impressive track presence in difficult track conditions. Great seeing all my fellow RListers too!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
We had some Rookie racers that showed some impressive track presence in difficult track conditions. Great seeing all my fellow RListers too!
Following on Frank's neat observations, it was really cool seeing EIGHTEEN new drivers join the PCA Club Racing Program at this event.

Mike and Gary did a nice job presenting essential policies, procedures and outlining clearly the Steward's expectations. Really nice to see the smiles and unalloyed pleasure, not to mention a small amount of relief, on everyone's face after the races.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Does anyone have a video of the side-by-side contact between my car (orange SPB #933) and white Martini SPB #630 going into Turn1, racing for spb P3 about halfway into White Sprint 1? My camera wasn't recording, and the other car's is not showing anything since I was doing the inside pass. Results sheet is showing SP3 #222 Waldron and #103 Kane finished behind us so if someone knows how to reach them, pls send me a pm.

Great racing in SPB this weekend though bummed my spb P3 in race1 got taken away due to the "incident" (DQ'd and 13/13!) and I lost spb P3 again in race2 due to my engine dying few laps before the end.

Still do not understand why "fault" and a 13/13 for someone was "mandatory" for a light contact with hardly any damage (none to my car, not even paint -- small dent on other car's door that could easily be pushed back out by hand with no paintwork required). Both racers just shook hands and say "sorry, no biggie, no hard feelings" after the race. We were racing within feet of each other for the whole race, and exchanged P3 few times in the race. We also talked to each other before the race and let each other know that we would leave each other racing space if/when the passer manages to establish ANY overlap, no matter how small.

This was my PCA racing rookie weekend, though I've raced in Skip Barber series before.

Last edited by hf1; 04-23-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Great racing in SPB this weekend though bummed my spb P3 in race1 got taken away due to the "incident" (DQ'd and 13/13!) and I lost spb P3 again in race2 due to my engine dying few laps before the end.

Still could not understand why "fault" and a 13/13 for someone was "mandatory" for a light contact with hardly any damage ...
The Steward will make this decision based on the information available to him at the time based on video and the Scrut Report. 13s are not "mandatory" for light contact and the reason for the "at fault" is usually given to you by the Steward. There is an appeals process you can follow if you can find the additional video. PM me if you need more info on how to do that - I'd be happy to guide you through the process.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The Steward will make this decision based on the information available to him at the time based on video and the Scrut Report. 13s are not "mandatory" for light contact and the reason for the "at fault" is usually given to you by the Steward. There is an appeals process you can follow if you can find the additional video. PM me if you need more info on how to do that - I'd be happy to guide you through the process.
Thanks Frank, may take you up on the offer. The stated reason why someone had to get a 13/13 was the "severity of the incident" or the "extent of the damage" or smth along those lines. Btw, I didn't complete that pass, no car lost control, and we continued to race the other half of the race, finishing bumper to bumper into the checker.

Last edited by hf1; 04-23-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks Frank, may take you up on the offer. The stated reason why someone had to get a 13/13 was the "severity of the incident" or the "extent of the damage" or smth along those lines. Btw, I didn't complete that pass, no car lost control, and we continued to race the other half of the race, finishing bumper to bumper into the checker.
See if Jay will send you a picture of the result of the contact after he cleans it up, see if there any video (as you did), and do an appeal. That was a "rub out" IMHO, and no one should have been sanctioned... again, just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Big congrats to Bill Rudtner, too. He led Chris Drake (who is one of the great benchmarks for SPB) for a few glorious laps.
Thanks Peter - Bill drove great all weekend and really put up a fight! It's really easy to protect corners at this track and felt like we all gave each other an inch which is all you can ask for.

The weekend was dramatic for me at the start - I went off on practice 2 and hit the wall which broke a tie rod and toe'd out my front right tire 8mm. The Provost team busted their (__|__) to get me back on track with 7 minutes to spare for practice 3 to get some sort of qualifying lap. So I started sprint 1 at P4. Coming down the downhill I noticed the cars were all in 3rd gear and not in the top of 2nd so able to get a good run on the green - then it got a little tight and the rest of the race was battling with Bill.

Sprint 2 was dynamic as the traffic can be crazy (who brakes at Apex of the downhill....) which caused some shuffling of P1. Another awesome/epic battle.

First time at Lime Rock for me and this track took a lot of effort to not over brake, really adjust the setup to get the car stable at high-speeds (more understeer). The staff was perfect and everyone was very friendly. I do wish there was more seat time or a sound friendly day ahead of the race weekend to get some practice in.. I will be back next year though!

Now it's time to learn The Glen.

Here's Sprint One

and Sprint Two

Last edited by FeuerRacing; 04-24-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:52 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That was some good racing between you and Jay in race 1. It's a pity that there was contact at some point.

I do however want to point out it was more than just a door. The rear quarter was crushed in 2 inches with the damage going all the way along the rocker which was half flattened. The door did pop out. The stewards came buy for a second look at it, and when they opened the door and saw how far in the quarter was crushed in, their mind was made up.

It was a rough race for Jay. He had contact off the start on the other side when a car tried squeezing through a closing gap and used Jay's car as a bumper. He now needs to repaint most of the rear of the car after fixing both rear quarters.

Sorry you had motor problems in race 2. Hope we see you out there at WGI.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

hf1, I have something on that though it's not great because of the way I had the camera set. It looked like the two of you were in a serious battle so stayed out of the way of that one - had third place in-hand.

My rookie race too!
Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Nice driving Chris. Great result for your first time there. Boy I wished I was out there racing with you guys, it sure did look like fun.

Provost did a great job getting you out for P3. I watched you videos last night. That hit looked much worse in the video than what the car showed. Glad you made it through the weekend.

Hope I see you at the Glen.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
I do however want to point out it was more than just a door. The rear quarter was crushed in 2 inches with the damage going all the way along the rocker which was half flattened. The door did pop out. The stewards came buy for a second look at it, and when they opened the door and saw how far in the quarter was crushed in, their mind was made up.
Matt, was great to meet you!
I only saw Jay's car in the pits right after the race and saw the door dent that I thought corresponded to the contact. I did notice some white/blue paint on my LF wheel so the other damage may have been caused by my LF wheel rotating against the side of his car a bit. But my LF fender around the wheel looks untouched -- there was hardly a "hit" felt or any latteral force applied. Anyway, I don't want to argue -- life could be much worse.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 987part
1st time for me at Lime rock. What a technical track. Congrats to Frank on your wins and thx to matt muller for the tips. Met a bunch of friends and thx to all the volunteers.

my best was a 57:5 which is ok considering my handling problem and power loss.
The car was all over the place. I just couldnt get the power down and was fighting it to keep the car on track.
Crazy start Seb. Great driving. Happy to help out with the tips.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Matt, was great to meet you!
I only saw Jay's car in the pits right after the race and saw the door dent that I thought corresponded to the contact. I did notice some white/blue paint on my LF wheel so the other damage may have been caused by my LF wheel rotating against the side of his car a bit. But my LF fender around the wheel looks untouched -- there was hardly a "hit" felt or any latteral force applied. Anyway, I don't want to argue -- life could be much worse.
Agreed, life could be much worse. I was just pointing out what happened. They came for a second look on their own and seemed to make their mind up once they opened the door. I am not surprised there is no sign of damage on your car. there was no orange paint on Jay's car either. Just crushed metal. In pit lane, it did just look like the door.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Great racing in SPB this weekend though bummed my spb P3 in race1 got taken away due to the "incident"
That's tough - I got a 13 on my second PCA race and mine was 100% deserved.

I can't remember the last time I saw a rookie at the pointy end of the field. You're going to be a quick one as you continue to learn this platform and look forward to racing with you more.

The Texas boys need to step up as the NE SPBs are showing some speed.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock PCA Club Race