Sponsored by:

Lime Rock PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
hf1, I have something on that though it's not great because of the way I had the camera set. It looked like the two of you were in a serious battle so stayed out of the way of that one - had third place in-hand.

My rookie race too!
Will, I can't send you a PM for some reason so left you a visitor msg on your profile with my email. Thanks much!
Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
That's tough - I got a 13 on my second PCA race and mine was 100% deserved.

I can't remember the last time I saw a rookie at the pointy end of the field. You're going to be a quick one as you continue to learn this platform and look forward to racing with you more.

The Texas boys need to step up as the NE SPBs are showing some speed.
You were 'cooking', especially for your first time at LRP! Look forward to racing with you, too -- that is, if for some reason I end up being even near you at all.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,918 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks Frank, may take you up on the offer. The stated reason why someone had to get a 13/13 was the "severity of the incident" or the "extent of the damage" or smth along those lines. Btw, I didn't complete that pass, no car lost control, and we continued to race the other half of the race, finishing bumper to bumper into the checker.
I have a feeling that you got a 13 because it was your first race and they are going to be overly cautious. If it happened later in the year it might have been a different result. Frank, as others have noted, is overly generous with his time and can help you understand the process.

On another note, congrats to all the winners! Wish I could have been there.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
On another note, congrats to all the winners! Wish I could have been there.
We missed you out there Todd!

Race 1

Race 2

Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Chris thanks for the fantastic video. I only wish you had data on it.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Chris thanks for the fantastic video. I only wish you had data on it.

Jeff
I could help fix that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-23-2017, 10:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

My 2nd time this year and I had a lot of fun. It was nice to shake off the cobwebs and start the season. I had nose to tail racing in both sprints and I took over a second off my time from last year.

Here's a little action from just behind the pointy end of the SPB field. Fun racing with Hoyt and Gary with Woz pushing from behind. I had to throw a 1:01.1 down to catch Gary starting at about 7:00. I'll be back next year!

Last edited by sbelles; 04-24-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Here's another video of the first white Sprint. Got down to a 1:00.111. Fun first few laps. Don't mind the hand signal HF
Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

First let me start by offering a huge thank you to Frank for acting as my mentor and Ron for offering advice that I hope I can someday put to good use and of course to all the kind folks I met at the track who offered words of encouragement.

For those who don't know I was one of the many rookies at the race, and for the first 2 days I couldn't have wiped the smile off my face if I had wanted to, but after the last race I have to admit I was a little disheartened. My coaches and Spencer from Speed Sport told me to forget about it and press on. I get that racing is where you need to wear your big boy pants, but honestly I left wondering if I really should even be there because when I tallied up the number of rookie mistakes I made it was maddening.

However, when I went back to my video and thought it over I began to question whether I was as awful as I thought I was or just maybe there is hope for me yet, with that in mind I have a quick question for those who passed me on the track as well as those who remember what it was like being a rookie.

First, below is a 5 minute video from the 2nd race.

My question is: Did I really blow the start that badly and is that just the way most starts go - flat out from the pits - I mean my pace lap was 1:14 which is only 8 seconds off a full speed lap for me and I was still 20 seconds behind the pack?

I had done 10 prior starts of which 9 were practice and 1 was from the morning race, but never had I had a situation where the pace lap ended up being a close to full speed lap. Yes, I know I'm not on the line in many places but my mind was thinking this was a pace lap and I would catch the pack any second so I didn't really get into race mode until I came down the hill and the green flag was waving at which point I freaked and red mist set in for sure. I tried my hardest to calm down, but obviously it didn't work very well as you can see from the crazy driving of my next 3 laps. Even as I was fighting to calm back down I kept working my hardest with the hope of catching someone in the back of the pack. My times went from a pace lap of 1:14 to lap 1 at 1:08 to lap 2 at 1:06 and lap 3 at 1:05 and then disaster. As I entered the straight after Big Bend I could see the tail end of the pack so I thought I could safely drop into 3rd gear for a little extra punch and maybe catch up on No Name, but alas the gods of racing wanted to teach me a lesson and it all ended at the next turn. I don't mind being last or being in the slowest class in the run group, but if I can't hang with the start something is wrong.

Regardless, I have to admit I had a blast. I'm just wondering if time and more experience are all that I need.

Also, I would note with some minor humor I got DQ'd for being 13 pounds under weight. That's what I get for being on a diet the last 2 months and losing 10 lbs
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Here's another video of the first white Sprint. Got down to a 1:00.111. Fun first few laps. Don't mind the hand signal HF Sprint 1
The hand signal, LOL! Great video, thx!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:17 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Chris thanks for the fantastic video. I only wish you had data on it
Your wish is granted - I updated the original video links and they're also both below - Sprint 2 is still uploading at the time of this update and has a couple hours left.

Sprint 1

Sprint 2

Now we just need to see what happened to Muller's video of his Lime Rock driving? Did that just magically disappear before the race weekend?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
Now we just need to see what happened to Muller's video of his Lime Rock driving? Did that just magically disappear before the race weekend?
Actually, it was more like two months ago............
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Regardless, I have to admit I had a blast. I'm just wondering if time and more experience are all that I need.
Yes - this!!!

Joe - you did great given how varying the conditions were and how difficult of a track it is to pass and get passed. No two races are alike. Sometime (for some unknown reason) the Pace Car will be so slow that it's impossible to get temps in the tires. Some other times, it will take off and never gather up the field. Experience will teach you how to deal with these varying situations and not get flustered.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Thanks for posting Scott, Steve and Chris!

Joe, don't worry about it. The great thing about racing is the more you do it, the better you get, and you'll get better. I haven't watched your vid, yet. But keep working on it. Normal to have lots of room to improve at starts, one way is to just maintain position. Congrats on your inaugural weekend. You have a good car, a good crew and a great community to help you do better!

Evan (still fixing his car) and I were both on pit lane coaching P1 and P2 in I and we had as much fun (well, almost) as our drivers did talking them through the races!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

John- Thanks a lot great job to you finishing 3rd in GTC-3 in second race. Thanks a lot for allowing me by after I blew the start. Next time wait around for the podium pictures

I have been trying to brake the record that Baron set years ago of a 54.1 for some time . Finally after I made some adjustments to the wing after the first race I was able to get the 53.7
I missed the shift on the start which I went from 3rd overall to about 13th Turns out it made me work extra hard to catch the leaders and turned some really good lap times to finish 1st in class and second over all and brake the lap record .

Great weekend - Thanks to all the Orange racers and all the workers that made the weekend so great.

Last edited by Steve113; 04-24-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock PCA Club Race