Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leh Keen GT4 Clubsport @ AMP

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017 | 02:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stujelly
Ya but does anyone really see these cars worth anything later??
I cannot see the value in tucking away a virgin, especially if they build a 781 version.

Once the new model comes along the old models will become club racers or D.E cars.

I think as a D.E car they will have a nice resale.
Easy to open trailer and service along with fair maintenance costs.
Old 01-14-2017 | 02:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I cannot see the value in tucking away a virgin, especially if they build a 781 version.

Once the new model comes along the old models will become club racers or D.E cars.

+1,000 to all you've said, Tom. Cheers!
Old 01-14-2017 | 02:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So impressed with your progression this year! You should get Most Improved Driver for the Trophy East Series. Your performance at Daytona was terrific. Best of luck next year.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Not if kissing a tire wall is going to cost a $70k (and growing) retub.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Cost me 14k at Daytona but it was armco instead of soft tires.

Dot get me wrong, you can take light damage in these cars and fix them, but they are not like the good ol' steel body caymans that can really take a beating.
Old 01-14-2017 | 11:49 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

PCA just annouced the GT4CS trophy east rules for 2017.

100L tank cars take 50 pound penalty in passenger side.

Manthey cars run in the same group but podium seperate and that group includes the pro drivers regardelss of spec car they are in.

Looks like PCA made a nice home for anybody who owns a GT4CS regardless of the spec.
You will need to sign up for a full season however. (Otherwise you will run PCA GTD)
Yes, arrive and drive for a season of racing is expensive, however it is a nice alternative (or stepping stone) to GT3 Cup, IMSA or PWC.
Nice to see that they've found a way to accommodate the other cars. I'm assuming the 50lb weight penalty is to offset the dual-master cylinder booster because I'd be surprised if the 100L tank weighs 50lbs than the 70L??

As for cost, it's frankly prohibitively expensive for all but wealthy retired folks with lots of time and money on their hands or young drivers that have financial backing, especially now that they've added two more races on separate weekends. Running up and down the east coast multiple times a season gets very expensive very quickly. Last year the basic six race budget was $100k in transport, support, base consumables, and fees alone. Count on that going to $150k this season with the new expanded schedule. Transport and support kills you as the travel miles expand.

And it's not just the cost but the time away from work and family if you want to run the series. A more reasonable approach would involve a 8-10 race series over 4-5 weekends with two races per weekend. That would be a far more inclusive series.

Last edited by Nizer; 01-15-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2017 | 01:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nice to see that they've found a way to accommodate the other cars. I'm assuming the 50lb weight penalty is to offset the dual-master cylinder booster because I'd be surprised if the 100L tank weighs 50lbs than the 70L??

As for cost, it's frankly prohibitively expensive for all but wealthy retired folks with lots of time and money on their hands or young drivers that have financial backing, especially now that they've added two more races on separate weekends. Running up and down the east coast multiple times a season gets very expensive very quickly. Last year the basic six race budget was $100k in transport, support, base consumables, and fees alone. Count on that going to $150k this season with the new expanded schedule. Transport and support kills you as the travel miles expand.

And it's not just the cost but the time away from work and family if you want to run the series. A more reasonable approach would involve a 8-10 race series over 4-5 weekends with two races per weekend. That would be a far more inclusive series.
The 100L carbon fibre tank weighs 11 pounds less then the 70L aluminum tank. So the 50 pound weight penalty would cover the tank weight and the dual master system advantage i assume.

It is indeed expensive to run In an arrive and drive 6 event series last season. (18 races total, 3 per weekend)
Especially when you factor in a track day prior to the race weekend.
Much cheaper then GT3 Cup, IMSA and PWC though.

The real hard thing as you pointed out is the time away from family and work. The racing becomes like a drug and you tend to slack away from work. But being away from family is the hardest.

Getting squeezed into existing PCA club events is difficult for the series and therefore it is spread out from April-October. Just enough time in between events to catch up with work and repair the car but still short for family schedule events.

Some folks cherry pick the races and do not complete them all which is understandable given work and other commitments.
Old 01-15-2017 | 09:57 AM
Obturate
Racer

Transport and support costs can vary tremendously between shops. I forget the exact figures, but as I recall the difference in transport and support expenses was a magnitude of about ten between two teams I asked about the Daytona event this past fall.
Old 01-15-2017 | 10:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

they ran Cats at Road America.... it was a good time to sit back and relax in the paddock because it was no louder then the street cars on the highway.

That's funny. The Clubsport racers were a great group at Road America. Beautiful cars. A pleasure to work with at the event. I particularly enjoyed chatting with Renee and Nicole on the grid. Very nice people, and a great way to enjoy father/daughter time.
Old 01-15-2017 | 11:35 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

I am not sure I completely understand the tire issue. What is the "riding on the sidewall" issue? do you mean the tire is rolling onto its sidewall in corners? Or just that the sidewall is flexing less than in the michelins?
Old 01-15-2017 | 12:38 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Or just that the sidewall is flexing less than in the michelins?
This. Michelins have softer sidewalls than Pirellis.
Old 01-15-2017 | 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
MUCH less stiff. The tire is a spring component, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-15-2017 | 06:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
MUCH less stiff. The tire is a spring component, too.
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
it depends on the pirelli tire (or michelin, Yok) ....... there are some that are seemingly paper thin and others that are very thick.. Ive always wondered the difference dynamically, when fullly pressurized. When using the used porsche cup take offs, I've always opted to use the stiffer sidewall... seemed safer if something went wrong or i got a flat on the track.
Old 01-15-2017 | 07:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

All you have to do is ask the tire engineers...

Quick Reply: Leh Keen GT4 Clubsport @ AMP