Leh Keen GT4 Clubsport @ AMP

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
anyone notice shift points, always in the HP band, even around tighter turns? Its one of the ways it keeps the car at it's limit.
FIFY, Mark. It's PDK....
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
FIFY, Mark. It's PDK....
I know.. the point is, it's being kept in the power band. Imp positive his RPM range in the 6 speed would be the same. you would never see any 3500rpm or 4000rpm range operation around any 45 to 50mph turns

interesting short shift at 5:05 on the cars video clock. (1:50 on the youtube video clock) . now that is the point that Dave makes about a good reason to short shift.. he does downshift to 2nd, but on the turn , being a longer one, he shifts up in the turn, knowing he cant go full throttle but is gently accelerating.. so by the exit time, when he can go WOT, he is already at 6krpm , meat of the HP curve and no need to shift to upset the car. regardless of PDK or manual, its all about keeping the RPM in the meat of the HP range. also, he does downshift often to 2nd, only to get back to 3rd as i mention in that example. he does this for control of the car and letting the LSD do its job in the rear of the car.... just a few observations.
Attached Images    

Last edited by mark kibort; 01-13-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: youtube video clock reference point added
Old 01-13-2017, 03:12 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Some serious sawing at the wheel
Originally Posted by LexVan
That does look like a handfull to drive. Why the 7,800 shifts? I thought it would be higher?? Leh's recent interview in the December Pano was great.
Originally Posted by 2BWise
+1 to that. Almost appears to be either over sprung or under damped that way it pogos around so much.

Yea.. Like Peter and Nizer stated the car is not right in the rear.. This car is 2016 spec and will be getting the new shock and spring package soon..

The rear shock just doesn't work right so the rear bounces and is all over the place.. I do like to drive like that with a free rear but even after some setup this is the best we could get it over the bumps.. We were running on Perrelli also..

In general the car was fun to drive and obvi had no issues. Ran easy and strong all day.. . And also was pretty fast around AMP.. I was impressed with the lap time.. 1:22.7

I shifted kind of where i thought felt right to me.. I don't know what the power band of the GT4 CS looks like so just kinda did what felt right.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kingleh
Yea.. Like Peter and Nizer stated the car is not right in the rear.. This car is 2016 spec and will be getting the new shock and spring package soon..

The rear shock just doesn't work right so the rear bounces and is all over the place.. I do like to drive like that with a free rear but even after some setup this is the best we could get it over the bumps.. We were running on Perrelli also..

In general the car was fun to drive and obvi had no issues. Ran easy and strong all day.. . And also was pretty fast around AMP.. I was impressed with the lap time.. 1:22.7

I shifted kind of where i thought felt right to me.. I don't know what the power band of the GT4 CS looks like so just kinda did what felt right.
Nice laps... yes, you were shifting in the right range.. never seen you not.
The power range is 6k to 7800 left a tiny bit left on table on the back S's shifting at 6800/7000 on the high speed portion of the track, but looked good!
Pirelli DH Slicks, like WCGT? 2:30 and 2:38 on the youtube video clock
good stuff........thanks for posting.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That does look like a handfull to drive. Why the 7,800 shifts? I thought it would be higher?? Leh's recent interview in the December Pano was great.
isnt the redline on the GT4 7800? actuallly based on the GT4 (stock) HP curve that is just about where you want to shift anyway, unless they did an engine mod and rev limiter change to give power up a little higher.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
isnt the redline on the GT4 7800? actuallly based on the GT4 (stock) HP curve that is just about where you want to shift anyway, unless they did an engine mod and rev limiter change to give power up a little higher.
Yes it is 7,800. I checked after my post. I was expecting more like the GT3/RS range. Now I better understand why these cars are relatively quiet when I worked the false grid at Road America for the September club races.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingleh

I don't know much about the specific tires in question, but is the difference in the vertical rates of the tire? If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the Pirelli must be much softer than the the Michelin it was designed for. It's hard to tell from the video, but does the front suffer the same issue? With the way the car appears to never settle mid corner in the long sweepers one might think both ends of the car are suffering as it looks like it has no problem building grip until is suddenly saturates gives up and does a yaw oscillation thru the entire corner.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every effing post!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Fun to watch you drive, Leh!

Correct, Michael! Back on hide...
Old 01-13-2017, 05:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
Every effing post!
yeah.. exactly... and your point is?...Cant you just discuss what YOU see on the video, rather than jabbing others for what they see or want to comment on... this isnt a YOUTUBE station, it's a discussion board...... since its been brought up by many others, i thought i would provide some interesting observations of his laps from a power pespectvie.. that's all.
enjoy!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes it is 7,800. I checked after my post. I was expecting more like the GT3/RS range. Now I better understand why these cars are relatively quiet when I worked the false grid at Road America for the September club races.
they ran Cats at Road America.... it was a good time to sit back and relax in the paddock because it was no louder then the street cars on the highway.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I don't know much about the specific tires in question, but is the difference in the vertical rates of the tire? If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the Pirelli must be much softer than the the Michelin it was designed for. It's hard to tell from the video, but does the front suffer the same issue? With the way the car appears to never settle mid corner in the long sweepers one might think both ends of the car are suffering as it looks like it has no problem building grip until is suddenly saturates gives up and does a yaw oscillation thru the entire corner.
The Pirelli is very stiff. Especially when cold. Not as soft as the Michelin or Conti.

The car operates best under load, but even then it suffers from lack of travel and the "upgrade" springs are still too stiff.
I ran with rear sway bar disconnected at road america and found little difference.

The funny thing is that i am now used to the stiff suspension as chitty as it was.

The new trophy suspension package is much better (tested at Sebring) and the MR suspension is also a good package.

It will be a different animal for 2017.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Leh's strut towers took a licking and kept on ticking.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

is that the same suspension setup that is on the SRO spec'd GT4 Manthey MRs?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No. 2016 Trophy East GT4 Clubsports.

Quick Reply: Leh Keen GT4 Clubsport @ AMP