Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017 | 09:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great video and thanks for sharing it. It's great to see in car from a Pro. Maybe we can get a rally video too?
Old 01-13-2017 | 09:30 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

as peter would say " he is always ahead of the car! "
Old 01-13-2017 | 09:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geneman
as peter would say " he is always ahead of the car! "
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2017 | 09:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I love watching Leh's driving videos. He is so active. I drive like that right before I spin!
Old 01-13-2017 | 10:00 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ lol!

Yes, but the question is: Are you ahead of the car; i.e., spinning beforehand in your mind?

Old 01-13-2017 | 10:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
^ lol!

Yes, but the question is: Are you ahead of the car; i.e., spinning beforehand in your mind?

I don't have to answer that question.
Old 01-13-2017 | 10:15 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

I try to remind myself of the following, sometimes even successfully :

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford
Old 01-14-2017 | 09:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Excellent video. Yes the CS has been a true handful. PCA sort of failed to do proper due diligence when it mandated the Pirelli DH for financial reasons rather than the tire around which the entire package was designed. Ya can't just swap completely different tires on a specifically designed & tightly coupled race package and expect it to work exactly the same...

Glad to hear the 2017 re-do works better--can't wait to see then over the bumps at Sebring in two weeks!
Old 01-14-2017 | 09:14 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

The original shock spec was a challenge for sure. The 17 spec shock and spring is a lot more compliant. With the previous spec the car spent the entire time bouncing around on the sidewall which made it super nervous and edgy which can be seen in Leh.s video. We will be at sebring net weekend with PBOC with a CS with the new 17 spec suspension. Will try to get some video to post to show the differences. I found you had to slow your hands down a lot with the CS. Too quick with the steering inputs caused the car to snap around and exaggerate the response from the overly stiff shocks.
Old 01-14-2017 | 10:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by coryf
Too quick with the steering inputs caused the car to snap around and exaggerate the response from the overly stiff shocks.
As usual, Cory is on the money. But more so, the response of the platform to steering speed was not consistent, depending on the combination of lateral loading and topography of the track. You could use good steering speed (degrees per second), but then, if there were any sort of surface irregularity, it became tenfold more sensitive to divisions between medium steering sport and just a little more. Because it was SO stiff, with the sidewalk stiffness exacerbating the already nearly rigid platform, once you lost traction, there was NO getting it back...

What was difficult is that this was evident as early as Sebring last year, when the first few cars came out and ran, albeit at the most inhospitable track for this problem! Yes, it was down to the tire change, as VR and others point out, but the car just wasn't compliant enough to begin with.

The most important part is that it was the same for everyone, and people did begin to learn how to drive around this issue. Am looking forward to the new package and comparing notes.
Old 01-14-2017 | 11:38 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes the CS has been a true handful. PCA sort of failed to do proper due diligence when it mandated the Pirelli DH for financial reasons rather than the tire around which the entire package was designed. Ya can't just swap completely different tires on a specifically designed & tightly coupled race package and expect it to work exactly the same...
It would be interesting to see how the whole program would've worked if they'd gone with the Michelin tire and not mandated participation in the six race schedule. Any club racer looking to jump in now is torn between buying a proper car - tires/shocks/dual masters/100L tank - and having no class to run in or buying a sub-optimal platform and being forced to participate in a series involving high travel/support costs. Really not the club ethos.

Hope they sort it out with the next iteration as I think it's a viable platform that could be ideal for the club racer.
Old 01-14-2017 | 11:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
It would be interesting to see how the whole program would've worked if they'd gone with the Michelin tire and not mandated participation in the six race schedule.
I bet the fear was that people would buy these cars and put them into collections, rather than race them, hence the initial race participation requirement.
Old 01-14-2017 | 12:20 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I bet the fear was that people would buy these cars and put them into collections, rather than race them, hence the initial race participation requirement.
Ya but does anyone really see these cars worth anything later??
Old 01-14-2017 | 02:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
It would be interesting to see how the whole program would've worked if they'd gone with the Michelin tire and not mandated participation in the six race schedule. Any club racer looking to jump in now is torn between buying a proper car - tires/shocks/dual masters/100L tank - and having no class to run in or buying a sub-optimal platform and being forced to participate in a series involving high travel/support costs. Really not the club ethos.

Hope they sort it out with the next iteration as I think it's a viable platform that could be ideal for the club racer.
PCA just annouced the GT4CS trophy east rules for 2017.

100L tank cars take 50 pound penalty in passenger side.

Manthey cars run in the same group but podium seperate and that group includes the pro drivers regardelss of spec car they are in.

Looks like PCA made a nice home for anybody who owns a GT4CS regardless of the spec.
You will need to sign up for a full season however. (Otherwise you will run PCA GTD)
Yes, arrive and drive for a season of racing is expensive, however it is a nice alternative (or stepping stone) to GT3 Cup, IMSA or PWC.

IMSA and PWC cars are welcome which gives them additional track time between their series races.

Competent series cars can jump in anytime without a full season commitment from what i understand.

Will be nice to see how many GT4CS can be stuffed onto the track with each other at the one time this season!

Last edited by tcsracing1; 01-14-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2017 | 02:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The fear was that these cars would end up as weekend warrior D.E cars when Porsche wanted to see them in competition Globally.

I think they ended up being a little of both given that some have sold without commitments.

Quick Reply: Leh Keen GT4 Clubsport @ AMP