Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Look what mother nature gifts me for my long awaited weekend back on the track...
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2016, 10:27 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

yep - always a crap shoot once you get past the end of May until the middle of October in Florida. Good news is that the storms end up rolling through quickly.

in a light rain - good to practice car control on a wet track - with a deluge and lots of standing water - better to head in and wait it out.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't mention anything about getting ready for a race coming up or you'll get the boot from PCA WA! Talk about disappointing, they just left me on the waitlist and didn't even want to discuss details.

Hi Scott,

After discussing with our track chairman, we’d respectfully suggest that our Driver Education event is not a good fit for your purposes. Rather than leaving you on our waitlist, we recommend that you sign up with Turn2 Lapping on Jun 17 at the Ridge. Their structure is perfect for what you are looking for – Test & Tune.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
Don't mention anything about getting ready for a race coming up or you'll get the boot from PCA WA! Talk about disappointing, they just left me on the waitlist and didn't even want to discuss details.
Maybe they are doing you a favor.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,424 Likes on 1,941 Posts

That is just so wrongheaded I can't believe they sent that to you!

I know DE is not racing but in PCA it is definitely one of the stepping stones to start club racing. Why else would the forms ask for a sign-off from your region as one way to get your license?

When I decided I wanted to explore club racing CVR gave me instructors who also race so that they could help me along. That is the right way to do it.

You really should push back a little (in a polite way) because they are doing the members of that region a disservice.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:05 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Lots to learn in the rain....have a great time and hope you have a better experience. As others have noted, if you are not connecting with your Instructor go see the Chief Instructor or Eventmaster and ask for a change. Some personalities just don't jive.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 652 Posts

that's a shame.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Maybe they are doing you a favor.
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That is just so wrongheaded I can't believe they sent that to you!

I know DE is not racing but in PCA it is definitely one of the stepping stones to start club racing. Why else would the forms ask for a sign-off from your region as one way to get your license?

When I decided I wanted to explore club racing CVR gave me instructors who also race so that they could help me along. That is the right way to do it.

You really should push back a little (in a polite way) because they are doing the members of that region a disservice.
Originally Posted by rsabeebe
that's a shame.
Maybe we need more info. What was the rest of the communication, the other side of it? What was the actual event? Etc?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I remember when I was still doing the 2-wheeler thing.... my teammate and I showed up at a pure trackday event (NESBA) at Road America, which was held in close proximity to the next event (racing) we were going to do.

We were in the morning riders meeting and they made a big stink about their "control riders" (which, as you can't have passengers, are designated riders which circulate the track as "on-track" instructors), about how they were "real racers" and "they ride really fast so don't try to keep up, you'll just get hurt."

A lot of the control riders had, what I call, "Big head syndrome"... they walked around all day in their leathers, with the bright yellow vest, so everybody knew they were a control rider ("ooooooh ahhhhh")

They were all, naturally, in the "advanced" group when not doing instructing... yet some of them still loved wearing their vests (even tho there was NO "control riding" in that group, 100% open passing, etc). Just so everyone knew they were control riders.

My teammate and I split one of these control riders in the braking zone for T5, me up the inside, Dan around the outside. We may or may not have done it on purpose. Left PLENTY of room, he didn't need to adjust his line or anything... but still, we split him.

We got off track, and the control rider comes over a few minutes later with their "chief" instructor, and tells us, "This is not a place for racing..." and "You guys are too fast for us, you should consider another group to ride with..."

SO yeah, they did us a favor. We didn't bother going back.

There are back-of-the-pack racers, and "fast" DE'ers who THINK they're racers (or think they're "just as fast" as the top racers) but there is a difference between race pace and fast DE pace.

A clean, "lots of room" race pace pass is very different from what's considered "lots of room" at a DE.

Still... we have LOTS of club racers at our Chicago Region events (some of which who are VERY fast), and it's never a problem. Something odd with the WA region, IMO.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 652 Posts

i made my way to scca racing mainly through bmw-cca DEs and many years of autoxing. DEs are the logical place to learn what's needed to move towards real track days and, potentially, racing. this is just a short-sided decision on their part, but clubs have been moving in this direction for years.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Maybe we need more info. What was the rest of the communication, the other side of it? What was the actual event? Etc?
Not much to it. I signed up at the last minute due to my cage build and told them I was getting ready for the SCCA time trial event at the Ridge (same track). I've already been signed off from them for solo so no issues with instructors or anything.

I thought it would help with the credibility since my car is safer now with full fire suppression, cage and built to SCCA rules. I didn't add any power so it's not faster or a danger to other street cars with more horsepower and I wasn't looking to go 9/10ths. Feedback from other instructors would have been helpful as well.

Oh well, I'll go a different route now and just thought I would share my feedback with fellow track friends. Cheers!

Edit: Event date this weekend

Last edited by Scott.; 06-10-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:48 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Not much to it. I signed up at the last minute due to my cage build at Rothsport and told them I was getting ready for the SCCA time trial event at the Ridge (same track). I've already been signed off from them for solo so no issues with instructors or anything.

I thought it would help with the credibility since my car is safer now with full fire suppression, cage and built to SCCA rules. I didn't add any power so it's not faster or a danger to other street cars with more horsepower and I wasn't looking to go 9/10ths. Feedback from other instructors would have been helpful as well.

Oh well, I'll go a different route now and just thought I would share my feedback with fellow track friends. Cheers!
So what if you showed to an event where you drive in a train of cars? You'd hate it, esp if your goal is clean laps for time trial. Plenty of people in advanced groups who can't give proper passing or good pace. It would have been waste of your time and money. If you are the only racer in the advance group it would be very frustrating DE with zero benefit for you. I rarely see racers practicing at DEs unless it's DE before the race where the advance group is made up of mostly racers. But what do I know, I don't race.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Correct me if I am wrong. The best comparison I have is from my basketball years, but it may apply for any sport. There is professional/competition basketball and there is H-O-R-S-E or shooting some ***** with your friends on the weekend. For both you can dedicate yourself and try to improve your skills. Both allow you to enjoy the sport. Only those who have played a sport in competitive fashion understand the feeling of being in a real game. But it requires a lot of compromise. I see DE and race driving the same way. We all live very busy stressful lives. All I want on my weekends is to enjoy my car, make some friends, and keep challenging myself to improve my skills. Nothing wrong in racing, but I honestly don't care what place I make. But maybe it is just me. I am sure there is a bunch of very competitive folks here.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:13 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
... in a light rain - good to practice car control on a wet track - with a deluge and lots of standing water - better to head in and wait it out.
Originally Posted by brownan
Lots to learn in the rain....have a great time and hope you have a better experience. As others have noted, if you are not connecting with your Instructor go see the Chief Instructor or Eventmaster and ask for a change. Some personalities just don't jive.
When I did "Master the manual" at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta I was chatting with the instructor about my future GT4 and he told me to be very careful with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s in the rain. I drove in Sebring with my C4S and PZeros in the rain. It was ok but the puddles scared me some and I pulled in after a couple laps. I plan on driving on at most light rain this weekend. Any special precaution with the Sport Cups?
Old 06-11-2016, 01:25 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Some PCA chapters are good, others not so much, subject to an individual's experiences and perceptions.
There are plenty of other ways beyond PCA to experience a DE. Try those and see how it goes. The instructors all are volunteers and while some are great, others may seem to be a douche - this will be the case at all organizations with more than 3 members. Try HOD or HDPE and see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs