Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
You nailed it. That is exactly what happened. He said he was quiet because I was doing real good. I had a feeling he would sign me off and surprisingly I caught myself thinking whether I wanted it or not. He asked me if I was comfortable with it and I really think I am. It is really nice to have enough skills to at least put in practice what the instructor is suggesting. I remember earlier on they could tell me whatever they wanted, I could visualize it but could not even imagine how to make it happen. This weekend I was able to implement the adjustments and could see things clearly getting better. That was great and really felt like an "aha" moment. I am sure I will continue to improve on my own but told him I would certainly enjoy feedback to make sure I am not creating bad habits and following a nice progression curve. I was using the Porsche precision track app with vbox so brought up a couple times whether he wanted to review the data with me. He didn't seem enthusiastic about it so I didn't push.
That's good (the "aha" moment).

Again, instructor feedback variability and relative paucity of additional skill sets (as simple as reviewing intelligent video with a student to be able to have a conversation without the distraction of getting the car around the track) are common. But you've done a good job of getting what you can with what resources were at your disposal. It's not a slam towards the instructor, it's just a fact. But it does reinforce the original post's observations.

I see a lot of regions, for-profits and marque clubs are beginning a push to offer guidance, resources and training to up the game of their instructors and advanced (solo) drivers, which is GREAT. Still, the biggest motivation for a driver calling for a date to work together is the frustration of "being cut loose early," or "my instructor had nothing to tell me, but there has to be more," or "I KNOW there's more!" This is something ALL regions, programs, instructors and coaches MUST keep very high on the priority list. To avoid having students at ANY level feel those thoughts...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-13-2016, 04:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

You nailed it. That is exactly what happened. He said he was quiet because I was doing real good. I had a feeling he would sign me off and surprisingly I caught myself thinking whether I wanted it or not. He asked me if I was comfortable with it and I really think I am. It is really nice to have enough skills to at least put in practice what the instructor is suggesting. I remember earlier on they could tell me whatever they wanted, I could visualize it but could not even imagine how to make it happen. This weekend I was able to implement the adjustments and could see things clearly getting better. That was great and really felt like an "aha" moment. I am sure I will continue to improve on my own but told him I would certainly enjoy feedback to make sure I am not creating bad habits and following a nice progression curve. I was using the Porsche precision track app with vbox so brought up a couple times whether he wanted to review the data with me. He didn't seem enthusiastic about it so I didn't push.
As an instructor, I'm usually silent for one of two reasons:
1) The student is doing fine, and I don't have much to say
2) I've been doing a lot of talking, and want to shut up and see how the student handles themselves WITHOUT me reminding them to BRAKE or TURN NOW!

IMO in both cases, it's usually a good thing.

And just because an instructor solos you, doesn't mean you HAVE to go out solo. You can take the solo bump as a badge of honor (in the Chicago region it's an extra sticker on your windshield) but then ask him to ride along with you anyways.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Something for you to laugh a little. So everything was planned for this weekend at Barber - hotel booked, wife convinced to come spend father's day weekend on the track, tiedowns installed, trailer to tow car rented. Just a little detail - the rookie here did not realize the u-haul trailer wouldn't work... I picked it up last night just to realize it was not even close to fitting my GT4. What a disappointment... I could not convince family to go in 2 cars so Barber will stay in the backburner for a little longer that I hoped for. I do not have where to store a trailer and now can't seem to find a place to rent one. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

With U-Haul trailers you have to get creative. Wood blocks in front of the ramps to prop them up, wood blocks under where the front wheels would get "chocked" to keep from tearing the air dam up, etc.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:38 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
With U-Haul trailers you have to get creative. Wood blocks in front of the ramps to prop them up, wood blocks under where the front wheels would get "chocked" to keep from tearing the air dam up, etc.
Thanks. I tried long piece of wood on the ramp but ramp still too steep. Then there is a lip on the bottom that looked like the car would get stuck on, finally the part for front wheels. I did not even get close to that but looked like it would indeed need a piece of wood to elevate the car. In other words, impossible for 7 pm yesterday with plans to hit the road 5 am today...
Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

What a disappointment!
If you don't have a place to store a trailer, look into offsite storage. Lots of trailers in the yards at storage facilities.
Look carefully at security, of course, avoid markings that scream race car inside (if enclosed trailer), and keep the car at home if possible.
Way back when I had a Trailex open it (and the car) would fit in my regular car garage.
Good luck and keep trying!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Something for you to laugh a little. So everything was planned for this weekend at Barber - hotel booked, wife convinced to come spend father's day weekend on the track, tiedowns installed, trailer to tow car rented. Just a little detail - the rookie here did not realize the u-haul trailer wouldn't work... I picked it up last night just to realize it was not even close to fitting my GT4. What a disappointment... I could not convince family to go in 2 cars so Barber will stay in the backburner for a little longer that I hoped for. I do not have where to store a trailer and now can't seem to find a place to rent one. Any suggestions?
Well, since you mentioned it:
Old 06-17-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

As an instructor, I'm usually silent for one of two reasons:
1) The student is doing fine, and I don't have much to say
2) I've been doing a lot of talking, and want to shut up and see how the student handles themselves WITHOUT me reminding them to BRAKE or TURN NOW!

IMO in both cases, it's usually a good thing.

And just because an instructor solos you, doesn't mean you HAVE to go out solo. You can take the solo bump as a badge of honor (in the Chicago region it's an extra sticker on your windshield) but then ask him to ride along with you anyways.
I like to take this one step further. When I think someone is really good and they are fully prepared to really go solo I start carrying on a conversation not pertaining to what we're doing to see if they can stay focused.

I don't go REAL far with this but it's a good test to see if they are consciously or subconsciously driving at that point.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:30 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some Trailex dealers have them for rent as well. Precision Motorsports here in NJ rents and sells........
Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Did one day event with a non-PCA group this weekend. Next local PCA event is only in September and I want to get some more seat time despite the 100 degrees summer weather. The way the event went made me appreciate much more what is done by PCA.

It was my first event with them and they placed me on beginner group after I registered online, as expected. I sat for the mandatory beginners class and was not assigned an instructor just like a few other guys. Went to talk to one of the organizers. He asked if I had ever participated on any DE and I told I had been to 5 or so. He told me not to worry and just stay on the beginner group and go without instructor...

It was horrible. People with no clue what to do but driving alone, people passing without point by, flag stations not talking to each other, people not giving point by despite being much slower. The icing on the cake was 2 bad crashes on the same event. Besides the talk of the garage about a kid who totalled a lambo the previous event. I left early.

PCA events may not be perfect but man it is a crazy world out there. Now Chin this weekend. My first with them as well but I am pretty sure it will be much better...
Old 07-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,525 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Did one day event with a non-PCA group this weekend. Next local PCA event is only in September and I want to get some more seat time despite the 100 degrees summer weather. The way the event went made me appreciate much more what is done by PCA.

It was my first event with them and they placed me on beginner group after I registered online, as expected. I sat for the mandatory beginners class and was not assigned an instructor just like a few other guys. Went to talk to one of the organizers. He asked if I had ever participated on any DE and I told I had been to 5 or so. He told me not to worry and just stay on the beginner group and go without instructor...

It was horrible. People with no clue what to do but driving alone, people passing without point by, flag stations not talking to each other, people not giving point by despite being much slower. The icing on the cake was 2 bad crashes on the same event. Besides the talk of the garage about a kid who totalled a lambo the previous event. I left early.

PCA events may not be perfect but man it is a crazy world out there. Now Chin this weekend. My first with them as well but I am pretty sure it will be much better...
Sorry to hear what a bad experience it was. You might consider telling us which organization it was - that's how substandard organizations get weeded out.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yikes. What group is that?

Sounds like MVP. The instructors were "first come, first serve" and were listed on a sign-out sheet. If all the instructors were signed out for that particular session, then the remaining novices went out solo.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:25 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Sorry to hear what a bad experience it was. You might consider telling us which organization it was - that's how substandard organizations get weeded out.
Yikes. What group is that?

Sounds like MVP. The instructors were "first come, first serve" and were listed on a sign-out sheet. If all the instructors were signed out for that particular session, then the remaining novices went out solo.
It was Performance Driving Group. They have lots of events in Florida and would have been an additional option for me to PCA/PBOC and Chin. But guess I will pass!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

It was Performance Driving Group. They have lots of events in Florida and would have been an additional option for me to PCA/PBOC and Chin. But guess I will pass!
Would certainly pass on that group, for sure! Chin is very good, IMO.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:01 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 704 Likes on 339 Posts

I will be at PCA DE Sebring in September if I can help you with anything let me know.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs