Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Rule Changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013 | 12:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Those pins don't stick out very far. I have the numbers written down somewhere. I think the total height of pins plus rails on these sliders isn't really that much more than the various older styles from Recaro and others. For those cars with branded uprights from companies like OMP, Recaro, Sparco, Speedware and Brey Krause, there may be opportunities to get the difference back by using existing lower holes or drilling new holes that are lower.

Using any of the sliders in older cars requires fab work. And for those that are so tall that every 1/4 inch matters, they can choose the Sabelt units or work with scruts to identify something else acceptable

And of again, the new rules are only for those without seat back braces so this might be much ado about nothing.

One shop in my area that I have mentioned previously has a pretty extensive experience with these pin-style sliders for a variety of cars and drivers. They generally don't use seat back braces, likely because they believe that the seats weren't tested by the manufacturers with braces and may be safer without them.
Old 12-19-2013 | 02:02 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

The Boxster units, like the one in the pix Jack posted, raise the seat brackets 4.5-5 centimeters above the floor boards. This is before bending the front eyelet. The pins themselves are, I guess, 6-8mm.
Old 12-19-2013 | 02:33 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I think the total height of pins plus rails on these sliders isn't really that much more than the various older styles from Recaro and others. For those cars with branded uprights from companies like OMP, Recaro, Sparco, Speedware and Brey Krause, there may be opportunities to get the difference back by using existing lower holes or drilling new holes that are lower.
Mike has been very helpful to me with questions about these sliders. I have compared my new Porsche sliders and BK side mounts (not yet installed) with pictures of his setup.

The reason for the increased height is the actuator mechanism on the Porsche sliders is high. This prevents being able to drop the seat low between the side mounts. The JWE system adresses this by adding extensions off the back of the Porsche slider. By shifting the seat rearward on the slider, it can be lowered a bit.

I have a few pictures that illustrate this well, but I don't want to post them without Mike's permission.
Old 12-19-2013 | 02:44 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Jack, did you buy the extenders from JWE? Do them come as a 'ready to install' package. Bolt on? Are the BK bracket different from others making them a requirement for the system to work?
Old 12-19-2013 | 03:09 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Jack, did you buy the extenders from JWE? Do them come as a 'ready to install' package. Bolt on? Are the BK bracket different from others making them a requirement for the system to work?
Randy, I spoke with JWE. It didn't sound like they were terribly interested in shipping out bits and pieces of their custom installed system. Mike lives in CA and knows Jerry and was able to do it.

So I ordered the BK mounts (pictured). They are clean and do not use the "extensions" to the sliders like the JWE system. But my seat will no doubt be higher than one using the custom JWE extenders (and lower JWE side mounts). Comparing my mounts with Mike's pictures, it looks like a difference of ~2-3 cm.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2013 | 06:32 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

<------------------------------ Yonker, congrats on the GT4S points championship, AGAIN. And thanks for inviting me to be your date (b$tch) for the sebring awards dinner AGAIN. I'll even carry your trophy for you.

Old 12-19-2013 | 07:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

That avatar is just too cute!!! (I wrote precious, but then realized....)

You boys are something else...
Old 12-20-2013 | 12:33 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Do we need to have these ready for Sebring 2014?
Old 11-06-2014 | 04:13 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Default PCA GTC5 Rule changes for 2015

I'm wondering about the changes to GTC5 rules for 2015. Will GTC5 finally get added to the rule exceptions that GTC4 enjoys?

For example, the rules currently do allow GTC4 but NOT allow GTC5 cars to:
3A) Use aftermarket brake rotors
3E) Relocate battery to footwell
4L) Use aftermarket dampers
4M) Change master cylinders
3) Use third party, equiv. wheels

Frankly, when I've raced in GTC5 in western region events, almost everybody in the paddock has relocated their battery, or replaced it with a LiIon unit. And many cars have aftermarket dampers, because IMSA, Pirelli GT3 Cup & POC all allow this modification. PCA is the only one that doesn't technically allow it.

I've never seen a driver DQed for these infractions. The inference is that the stewards consider the GTC4 rules apply to the GTC5 cars, just that the official rules haven't been updated yet. Does anyone have a plan to do this? or are there objections?

[QUOTE=jenk12m;10889086]PCA Club Racing Rules Changes For 2014

The Rules Committee has adopted the following rules changes for the 2014 racing season.

GTC

31) Consumables, as specified in the second paragraph of the Stock Cars rules, are free as long as they cannot serve to increase the car's performance.
32) The 2014 Cup cars, in GT America trim, will race in GTC6. Whether these cars, in European Supercup trim, will run in this class as well remains to be decided.

Quick Reply: PCA Rule Changes