Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Agreed a much much better ruling.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It will be interesting to see if Speedtoys backs off his hard line stance as well.....
Are you on BARF? You should check that forum out...

Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
hmm, it appears the white car's video was NOT seen at the track..... after all.

and now that it has, a more equitable penalty is delivered.

Good! I was really questioning the NASA steward's logic...

-thanks for posting!
+1 and people say that there is no value in analyzing these incidents here.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Doug007
Racer

"Leave room. Close racing is fun and makes the beer taste sweeter after the race. Fixing bodywork is not fun and decreases proportionally one's intake and quality of the cold golden (amber) beverage."

I'll drink to that!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

More the common sense expectations I have for NASA...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Mike Simard
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASA has always seemed more guided by common sense than legalese. This episode didn't fit what I've seen over the years and changing the ruling is no surprise.
They really are a great organization.
Racing depends on racers policing themselves and being prepared to admit mistakes freely and tolerating other's mistakes. That does happen normally.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, much more logical penalties.

"The over taking driver had position yet had not completed the pass. He had the right to the line. The overtaken driver also had the right to the line and was responsible to provide "racing room" generally accepted as 3/4 of a car width."

But I don't think there is a "line" on a straight. This almost seems like a case of blocking by the red car, which I did not see thrown out there. That would be his fault if it were considered a case of blocking.

Sorry to keep stirring this up but I had a similar experience in one of my first club races at Lime Rock in the middle of no-name straight. There is no NEED to apex the kink, but the car I was passing did it anyway and ran me off the road. But I didn't roll
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And peace was restored to the RL P&C forum.

Nice to see this come to its resolution! Well thought out ruling.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Here's the video of my rollover - http://youtu.be/R92eUXohpGk Please share this video and make sure all of your racer buddies know the rules and situations to keep racing fun and safer for all of us.
As it turns out, we did share this video (and another one) with our racing community in order to keep racing fun and safe. Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I see nothing malicious here. What I see here is two racers racing hard and both having shared responsibility in the incident with the trailing driver having the great majority.
I enjoyed reading the thread from the beginning and was happy to agree with the overwhelming consensus. Also was glad to see the more fair final resolution. However I don't agree with the bolded part above and I think that the white (trailing) car had no responsibility even according to the confusing and conflicting NASA rules that were quoted, much less according to basic common sense & logic.

Finally, I am baffled by the "leave 3/4 car width space" rule. You either leave racing room (co-exist) with the other cars beside you or you don't. Car's don't magically shrink to 3/4 of their widths and tracks often don't allow for safe dropping of 1/4 width of the car outside of the paved surface. Can someone explain the benefits of this 3/4 car width rule vs. the "car width + 1 inch" rule?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Nice recovery NASA. Prost!

One more vote here that the red car should have left racing room and is AT LEAST equally responsible for the incident (as was reflected in the revised penalty but not in the rules...yet).
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I enjoyed reading the thread from the beginning and was happy to agree with the overwhelming consensus. Also was glad to see the more fair final resolution. However I don't agree with the bolded part above and I think that the white (trailing) car had no responsibility even according to the confusing and conflicting NASA rules that were quoted, much less according to basic common sense & logic.

Finally, I am baffled by the "leave 3/4 car width space" rule. You either leave racing room (co-exist) with the other cars beside you or you don't. Car's don't magically shrink to 3/4 of their widths and tracks often don't allow for safe dropping of 1/4 width of the car outside of the paved surface. Can someone explain the benefits of this 3/4 car width rule vs. the "car width + 1 inch" rule?
From the NASA rules:

The main purpose of the “¾ car width” rule is not to allow one driver to “squeeze” the other driver. The main purpose and
intent is to alert the mind of the driver that is contemplating a pass that he/she may be “forced” to go two (2) wheels off-course to avoid a collision. Basically, this means that the overtaking driver must be certain that he/she can attempt the pass with room to spare, and must be prepared to take evasive action if necessary.

If racers start using this as a weapon, race directors take note, and penalties can follow, based on the intent of the rule as stated above.

In most cases, ¾ of one car width would be considered barely adequate racing room. However, in this
case there is “K-wall’ to the inside of the corner. Common sense would tell the driver of Car A that there
definitely be a collision if less than one full car width were left for Car B.

------
To HF1 - What sort of "common sense" says you ignore a collision forming up in your windshield because you are "in the right". You don't have to like it (and a talk with the racer, or race director afterwards may be in order), but you back out, or go two off to avoid the collision.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, nice job NASA in correcting the ruling!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Yes, much more logical penalties.

"The over taking driver had position yet had not completed the pass. He had the right to the line. The overtaken driver also had the right to the line and was responsible to provide "racing room" generally accepted as 3/4 of a car width."

But I don't think there is a "line" on a straight. This almost seems like a case of blocking by the red car, which I did not see thrown out there. That would be his fault if it were considered a case of blocking.

Sorry to keep stirring this up but I had a similar experience in one of my first club races at Lime Rock in the middle of no-name straight. There is no NEED to apex the kink, but the car I was passing did it anyway and ran me off the road. But I didn't roll
Its a grey area for sure, but its not blocking, you can move a approaching car over as long as you dont drive him off track, and if you can move over to stop his advancing before he gets up on you, you cant make the second move to your original line, as that would be classified as a blocking move.

Im sure the red car will have second thoughts on anymore door slamming in the future, and thats a good thing. race hard, but race clean! our cars are no fun to fix when this kind of stuff happens!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea NASA, yea Mid-Atlantic, yea Chris Cobetto, yea JJ, and yea to all you guys chomping on this for the past few days. Tough situation, healthy debate with just enough sparks, justice served with two cold-beer references just for good measure. Bravo!!!

Quick Reply: Video of my rollover