Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SP996 goes to impound

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While in impound measure some throttle bodies, check some ECU's for reflash, check headers for upgraded X51 or others, X51 cams/heads, heck ......check displacement on the 3.4's, all of these are pretty well known "upgrades".
I can come up with more thoughts for scruts if they are inclined to check the cars.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=onefastviking;9902831]Venting rear quarter glass is a pretty obvious violation of rule "6.A.8) Rear window and rear quarter windows must be stock in appearance with no venting,"

No venting here, I added an intake to pull air in the car to cool the driver. I have add drag and air pressure to the cabin for driver comfort, not vented it out to reduce drag. I do not see a rules problem with this one.
Viking, do you still think this intake falls under venting?
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=coinboy;9902870]
Originally Posted by onefastviking
Venting rear quarter glass is a pretty obvious violation of rule "6.A.8) Rear window and rear quarter windows must be stock in appearance with no venting,"

No venting here, I added an intake to pull air in the car to cool the driver. I have add drag and air pressure to the cabin for driver comfort, not vented it out to reduce drag. I do not see a rules problem with this one.
Viking, do you still think this intake falls under venting?
In a word, yes.

Venting is venting, whether the vent vents to inside or outside, or labeled as an "intake" as you state, is simply a play on the words. All are still vents.

"From Wiki.
Vent
Vent may refer to:

Air vents, ducts used to deliver and remove air"

The good old NASCAR boys vent in a similar way, I presume you know this already.
From an air vent standpoint there are a few other better places for you to collect air for cooling yourself. From a dual purpose lets help air flow around and inside the car standpoint you have done a good job with what you have.

I believe it was Colin Chapman that once stated how each part in a car should serve 3 purposes.

Please, don't take my thoughts as pointed at anyone, or in a destructive way. I just want the class to continue to grow and everyone to have fun. As I stated before, I am ok with these changes as they have been done, just make them legal by writing it into the rules so it prevents further issues in the future and everyone can upgrade as they choose to.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats to Michael Williams for the hard charge! It must be the graphics.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

What does a typical SP9966 build run (donor car, parts, labor), out of curiosity? I bet that's a lot of fun.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Congrats to Michael Williams for the hard charge! It must be the graphics.
Van, I'll save you a shot of the 1792! My competitors were stunned by the beauty of your graphics, allowing me to slip by....

It was a great weekend overall. As said elsewhere, the staff & workers were incredibly resilient given the weather.

This is honestly the first time I was really driving the new build (had been running in limp mode during the previous test sessions) and I'm incredibly happy with the choice to build the SP996. I expect to see the class grow pretty substantially over the next year or two. It's perfect for someone that doesn't want the expense of a Cup or GT, but wants an alternative to the Boxster (they are great also....).

I still need to learn to drive the car properly, but it was really a ton of fun running with the "big boys".
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlarocque
What does a typical SP9966 build run (donor car, parts, labor), out of curiosity? I bet that's a lot of fun.
PM Sent.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
Van, I'll save you a shot of the 1792! My competitors were stunned by the beauty of your graphics, allowing me to slip by....

It was a great weekend overall. As said elsewhere, the staff & workers were incredibly resilient given the weather.

This is honestly the first time I was really driving the new build (had been running in limp mode during the previous test sessions) and I'm incredibly happy with the choice to build the SP996. I expect to see the class grow pretty substantially over the next year or two. It's perfect for someone that doesn't want the expense of a Cup or GT, but wants an alternative to the Boxster (they are great also....).

I still need to learn to drive the car properly, but it was really a ton of fun running with the "big boys".
Looks like Klaus was courteous in letting you by...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
jittsl
Racer

The JPS car (sorry I didn't meet the driver so I don't know his name) looked magnificent. And I always love seeing the pair of spy v spy cars.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jittsl
The JPS car (sorry I didn't meet the driver so I don't know his name) looked magnificent.
My name is Michael. It's nice to meet you, Jittsl, and thanks for the nice comments. Van here on RL did the graphcis for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Cool to see this class gain some traction. So much more interesting to me than a Spec Boxster.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
coinboy
Racer

I love driving the SP996 platform. It is so fast for the low consumable cost compared to a CUP. Brakes, tires, rotors and even gas (93 pump) is so much cheaper than CUPs run. Hell the tires I ran here at Hallett are the same as I ran at Road America and VIR! First day both practice and race was on 20 plus HC (VIR race & RA practice tires). Ran day 2 on the set I ran at RA races.
My trans in this car is original stock, car was built in Feb. 1998 and has 89,000 miles on it. I have had the car for: 10 years, 40,000 street miles, 40 AX, 30 TT, 40 DE, 50 Club Race starts. the engine in my car is 7 years old, with 30,000 track miles on it and as strong today as it was 7 years ago.

Can think of any other car I would want for racing anywhere near the cost to build or run. And when we have 15+ start showing up at races next year it will be sweet!

See you at the track.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
My trans in this car is original stock, car was built in Feb. 1998 and has 89,000 miles on it. I have had the car for: 10 years, 40,000 street miles, 40 AX, 30 TT, 40 DE, 50 Club Race starts. the engine in my car is 7 years old, with 30,000 track miles on it and as strong today as it was 7 years ago.
solid.

have you done any of the usual IMS/RMS/AOS upgrades?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
coinboy
Racer

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
solid.

have you done any of the usual IMS/RMS/AOS upgrades?
Nope, none of them. I have the X51 oil pan baffles and I always keep it full of oil. I do not run the Accusump either. Chuck (Car 402) has the original motor 87,000 miles, Ran NASA in Cal. for a few years before him and he has 30+ PCA race starts on his. No, IMS/RMS or Accusump either. Just keep it full of oil and run the hell out of it.

Just think about my engine: 30,000 track miles on it 30,000/75mph = that is 400 hours at above 5,000 rpm with nothing done to it! I would like to see a CUP car do that!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
They really aren't that much more espensive than a Spec Box to build. The LSD and shock/spring package is additional but you don't have to buy a lightweight roof so there's some tradeoffs. My shop builds them for $40k w/fresh rebuilt motor, all the spec'd goodies, ready to rock-n-roll.....

Quick Reply: SP996 goes to impound