Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS and Grand AM to merge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012 | 03:22 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Did Panoz sell Mosport? There was no mention of it in the press conference.
I am more confused after that press conference than I was before. I'm guessing their secret leaked and they put this together to say they were the first ones to tell the public.
It would've been nice to hear some sort of details or technical specs of the future series.
Old 09-05-2012 | 03:35 PM
enduro911
Pro

Time to bring back late 60s/earlier 70s Can Am.
Old 09-05-2012 | 03:51 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Did Panoz sell Mosport? There was no mention of it in the press conference.
I am more confused after that press conference than I was before. I'm guessing their secret leaked and they put this together to say they were the first ones to tell the public.
It would've been nice to hear some sort of details or technical specs of the future series.
Mosport, errr Canadian Tire Motorsports Park sold a while ago to Ron Fellows and a group of investors.

and yeah, I think this was a last minute press conference after the news leaked....pretty thin on details.
Old 09-05-2012 | 07:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Some comments from various players in this thing...

GA/ ALMS Merger – Teams Reactions:
Rob Dyson, Team Principal Dyson Racing:
“The history of sports car racing in America has centered around sophisticated performance and innovation. Dyson Racing has raced top-line prototypes for three decades and the variety of technology and competitors during that period has defined the sport and produced the memories that sustain its growth today and propel its future.

"We anticipate that this historic merger will produce sports car racing that embraces the diversity that has made our racing a fan favorite, with world-wide legitimacy. There are currently twelve auto and engine manufactures plus four tire manufactures in our series. We expect the newly combined series will produce an even more enhanced arena of value for manufacturers and privateers alike.”

Chris Dyson, Vice President and Sporting Director Dyson Racing:
“The best mergers strengthen. This combination has the potential to be a significant milepost in the history of sports car racing and to foster a period reminiscent of our sport’s glory days. The addition of GRAND-AM’s historic tracks to IMSA’s existing set of iconic tracks will only reinforce the appeal to fans, competitors and manufacturers.

"We are optimistic that with a continued emphasis on technical advancement, variety, high levels of on-track performance, close competition and a welcoming paddock atmosphere, unified sports car racing in North America is about to enter a new era – one of long term strength. There are always challenges involved with change, but Dyson Racing will continue to work with all in our sport to ensure the strongest possible future.”

Alex Job:
"We have been racing in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and International Motorsports Association (IMSA) since our inception as a team in 1988," Job said. "We have also raced with GRAND-AM in both the Daytona Prototype and GT categories. It will be interesting to see how the philosophy of ALMS and their association with the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) translates to GRAND-AM and their relationship with NASCAR. "

"Personally, I like the manufacturer involvement, technology and differing tire combinations in the ALMS. In GRAND-AM, I can appreciate the willingness to control costs and level the playing field. However, I also like the thought of competing at the Le Mans 24 Hours with the same car that I am competing with here in the United States. Endurance racers are a resilient bunch. It appears that the group in Daytona are going to give themselves 18-months to forge a sturdy business and technical plan. This has been a long time coming. I am looking forward to going to the Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona in January of 2014 and then to Sebring for the 12 Hour a month-and-a-half later like the old days."

Scott Sharp, owner of Extreme Speed Motorsports:
“I’m very excited about the potential merger of ALMS and GRAND-AM. I think bringing together the potential that both series have when it comes to TV package, scheduling, competitors and tracks, it could be huge. Hopefully, it will turn out that way," Sharp said.

“I think sports car racing needs to become more viable. It has to become more attractive to advertisers and sponsors. This potential merger has to be able to increase that opportunity by putting all fronts together pointing in the same direction. This could be a huge boost for sports cars and probably the biggest step forward in several decades.

“From our sponsor Tequila Patrón’s perspective, this can only be a huge benefit. If we can go to better tracks with bigger audiences and a more solid television package, it has to be something that Patrón will appreciate from all avenues. That is certainly the hope.”

Jon Bennett, owner and founder, CORE autosport:
“On behalf of CORE autosport, I would like to congratulate all parties that were involved in this historic sports car merger to create a unified series in 2014. It took the cooperation of true visionaries to create one strong new series out of the American Le Mans Series and GRAND-AM.

“The positives that will emerge from this unification will be felt by teams, drivers, sponsors, partners and most importantly, fans.

“The entire CORE autosport organization looks forward to continuing sports car competition at the highest level, and adding to our team and driver championships.”

Bobby Rahal (via Autosport.com)
"As we've seen in Indy car racing, this is nothing but great news for the sport, for the teams and for the fans," said Rahal.

"It's a huge win for racing in general and sports car racing in particular. I commend [Grand-Am founder] Jim France and [ALMS owner] Don Panoz for finding a way to come together and doing what is best for the sport.

"I think that with the combined schedules, the might of ISC's marketing and the types of circuits we can focus on, it couldn't be any better for a series.

"I'm very, very enthused and excited about it and looking forward to seeing it all come together."

Porsche Cars North America:

"Porsche Cars North America, Inc., one of the few auto manufacturers which has been involved with both ALMS and Grand-Am from the beginning of both series, is pleased that the primary sanctioning bodies for professional sports car racing in North America are combining resources to produce the best possible series for our customers –sports car racing fans.

"Our fans want to see high performance race cars, big fields filled by the world’s top manufacturers, close racing and entertaining events both on television and the internet, and of course, at the race track.

"With events now possible at all the major road racing tracks – Daytona International Raceway, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Canadian Tire Mosport Park, and Sebring – all formerly owned by either one series or the other – the growing number of fans in our sport will truly have a national championship to follow.

"Our fans want to see us compete against the same cars we compete with in the marketplace, and they want to see us win under the most heated on-track, head-to-head competition. We believe this new racing organization gives us that opportunity.

"We are also excited about the combining of personnel talent as the most skilled and experienced racing and rules managers will spend the next year crafting a series that meets everyone’s basic goals and objectives."

DIS President Joie Chitwood III
“This is a very special day for the sport and an incredibly exciting time as we look ahead. I applaud the leadership of both organizations for this bold move that ultimately benefits the great fans of sports car racing in the North America. I am especially pleased to have Daytona International Speedway host the 2014 Rolex 24 – the first unified race of this new sports car series.”

Michael Shank:
“This is an incredible development, and my hat is off to Jim France and Don Panoz for coming together to create a single sports car racing organization here in North America.

“I can not tell you how excited I am not only for my organization, but for the sport in general. Obviously, there are a lot of questions to be answered about the schedule, the equipment, and the technical regulations. As a team owner, these are very important questions to be resolved. But there is always work to be done in racing, and just knowing that this sport is positioned for the future gives us a very positive outlook as we move forward.”

GA/ ALMS - The ACO Respond To The Merger
Their Statement In Full:

In 2014, the calendars of the American Le Mans Series, organized by IMSA, and the Grand-Am Road Racing governed by NASCAR will merge following an agreement reached between the promoters of both competitions.

The Automobile Club is delighted about this merger, which will increase the already large audience for endurance in North America and at the same time boost its international impact. The quality of the two organizations combined is a guarantee of confidence concerning the perpetuation of the values and prestige of the Le Mans 24 Hours on the American continent, which are indispensable elements for endurance racing.

In its role as creator and organizer of the Le Mans 24 Hours since 1923 and promoter of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the ACO will play an active role in the development of this new championship.

The ACO has been a major player in endurance on the North-American continent and it launched the ALMS with its partner Don Panoz in 1999, after the creation of the Petit Le Mans race in 1998 on the Road Atlanta circuit in Georgia.

In 2013, the American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am will continue to run separately like in previous seasons. The details of this unified series under the same banner will be announced later on by the promoters of this new championship. It will begin with the 52nd Rolex Daytona 24 Hours in 2014.

The steering committee of this new championship will be presided by Jim France, the founder of Grand-Am as Chairman with Don Panoz, the ALMS founder as vice chairman. The other members are Lesa France Kennedy (NASCAR Executive Vice President), Ed Bennet (CEO/President Grand Am), Scott Atherton (President/CEO ALMS) and Karen Leetzow (NASCAR Vice President and Deputy General Counsel).

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest:
“The merger of these two championships, which was carried out with the approval of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, has become necessary to enable endurance racing to continue to evolve. In 2014, this branch of the sport will have a bigger calendar and high-quality fields. Everybody will benefit from this unified series: entrants in North America, drivers and fans. This rapprochement proves that Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s assessment of the situation is the right one, and one of its major initiatives is to reinforce the presence of endurance racing on the international scene. The foundation consists of three continental series: the European Le Mans Series, the Asian Le Mans Series and this North-American merger in 2014, which will make the base even stronger together with the FIA World Endurance Championship, while the summit of this pyramid remains the Le Mans 24 Hours. I’m happy to meet up with the new team directing this new series in the near future, and to start working with them on this North-American Championship.”
Old 09-05-2012 | 08:08 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

does anyone else think the head nod to Ed Brown at the beginning of the press conference is an attempt to get Patron to be the title sponsor of the combined series (or otherwise keep the marketing $$ rolling in?)?
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:21 PM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

All the strategically placed Dasani water bottles says a lot. Plane tap water marketed as designer water.

All this talk about how great it's going to be but no details on how.Sounds like our current politicians! Hope it all works out. I can't imagine seeing the DP cars race with the LMP and GT cars, they look like something I made out of a cracker jack box when I was in kindergarten! We'll see how they fair when Sebring chews em up and spits em out!

If the new series is going to be connected to the 24 of Le Mans then Grand Am is going to have to tighten up and do away with these false yellows, tube frame GT cars and discriminatory BS that has no place in world class endurance racing!
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
does anyone else think the head nod to Ed Brown at the beginning of the press conference is an attempt to get Patron to be the title sponsor of the combined series (or otherwise keep the marketing $$ rolling in?)?
I noticed that too. They want to hang on to Patron pretty badly in my mind.

Like Lieca, I really hope they dump the tube frame GT cars. I've never liked them.
Old 09-05-2012 | 11:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

How do they dump DP and/or Tube GT cars and retain any of the advantage of the merger of the series. Surely there will be some serious attrition. I'm not a fan of the DP's or the tube frame GT cars, but Mazda is a big sponsor, and they will not be as big with no viable GT replacement. GM's representation would be limited too. That would negate the advantages of combining the strengths of the series and would essentially be Grand-Am assuming ALMS/ACO type fields.

For the success of this merger, the end result needs to be bigger than either of the two parties. Too much pruning will prevent that and we will end up with the same fields we left off with. Sponsor dollars breed more money and more contracts. 1 true GT class is enough IMO, 1 LMP Class and two tube frame classes seem like the best recipe for success IMO. LMP > DP > GT > GTC and go racing with fields of 50 cars week in and week out. That is a win IMO.
Old 09-05-2012 | 11:30 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
How do they dump DP and/or Tube GT cars and retain any of the advantage of the merger of the series. Surely there will be some serious attrition. I'm not a fan of the DP's or the tube frame GT cars, but Mazda is a big sponsor, and they will not be as big with no viable GT replacement. GM's representation would be limited too. That would negate the advantages of combining the strengths of the series and would essentially be Grand-Am assuming ALMS/ACO type fields.

For the success of this merger, the end result needs to be bigger than either of the two parties. Too much pruning will prevent that and we will end up with the same fields we left off with. Sponsor dollars breed more money and more contracts. 1 true GT class is enough IMO, 1 LMP Class and two tube frame classes seem like the best recipe for success IMO. LMP > DP > GT > GTC and go racing with fields of 50 cars week in and week out. That is a win IMO.
Mazda is out of GA at the end of this year anyway, since the RX8 is out of production and there's no immediate plans for a replacement. that's why they went to ALMS with Dempsey. although there are/were talks of a Mazda in GX next year, though somehow I doubt that class gets off the ground now.
Old 09-05-2012 | 11:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leica356
...If the new series is going to be connected to the 24 of Le Mans then Grand Am is going to have to tighten up and do away with these false yellows, tube frame GT cars and discriminatory BS that has no place in world class endurance racing!
Amen!!!

Those multi-lap full course yellows to clean up one 2 inch piece of wing (that takes all of 10 seconds) is IMO the worst thing in all of US auto racing series.
Can anyone explain what isn't for?
So the beer drinkers can take a leak and go to seven eleven to get another six pack of bud light? Or what?
Old 09-06-2012 | 12:05 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears

Like Lieca, I really hope they dump the tube frame GT cars. I've never liked them.
Why? Low tech but still fast and reliable cars. Trans-am/GT-1/AGT cars were doing good in the former days of the Daytona 24... It would open something for less funded teams... Just an idea like that...

C.
Old 09-06-2012 | 12:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Mazda is out of GA at the end of this year anyway, since the RX8 is out of production and there's no immediate plans for a replacement. that's why they went to ALMS with Dempsey. although there are/were talks of a Mazda in GX next year, though somehow I doubt that class gets off the ground now.
So all there is left is GM with the Camaro/GTO/GXP? LOL, I guess now would be a good time to scrap it then. GM should be smart enough to let the Corvette's in DP and GT be enough. But then again, it is GM.

Old 09-06-2012 | 09:54 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I do not have time to read 8 pages of this thread, so if I'm repeating another post, sorry.

GA will never let ALMS classes be the dominate class

Originally Posted by Fishey
The classes will break down very simple...

P1 (Current ALMS Prototypes cars)
P2 (Current Rolex Prototype cars) - This will replace the GTC catagory (thats a good thing)
GT1 (Current ALMS GT cars)
GT2 (Current Rolex GT cars and GTC cars)
X - Experimental (deltawing/etc..etc.)

In this scenario, the ALMS class is 'superior/Above' the GA class for P and GT. I cannot see how the France family would go and say "well, they have a better product, and ours is inferior, so lets have their classes trump ours"...Not happening.

In addition, GA/Nascar doesn't like Manufacturer dominated racing. Everything in all of Nascar, GA, etc is private teams with manufacturer support. P1 in ALMS is predominately manufacturer driven....

What I wonder is what will happen to Porsche's entry back to P1 in 2014???
(again, sorry if these views were already posted)

BTW, these are also the views of a certain pro driver that PCA bring to races to offer coaching services...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-06-2012 | 05:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Ineresting "insider" article on Racer's website: http://www.racer.com/insight-industr...rticle/257750/

What they are suggesting about putting a prototype race AND a GT race together in one weekend (or one day) makes a lot of sense. As long as they don't start charging exuberant prices for tickets.
Old 09-06-2012 | 05:24 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Greg Pickett says HELL NO! to running a DP.

http://www.racer.com/pickett-im-not-...rticle/257861/

Quick Reply: ALMS and Grand AM to merge!