Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS and Grand AM to merge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012 | 05:02 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
this thread has turned into the biggest buzzkill ever.

Imagine ALMS fans in Baltimore's reaction when the news came out Saturday morning...
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I've seen worse!
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:18 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Naw look at it this way, you might be able to get a smoking deal on an ex lizards RSR or a letterman M3 with hardly any hours, think of the spares package!....
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
by Global do you mean the 48 contiguous United States of America?

R+C
Hah! You took the words out of my mouth!
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:26 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Naw look at it this way, you might be able to get a smoking deal on an ex lizards RSR or a letterman M3 with hardly any hours, think of the spares package!....
LOL!
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:36 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
GA and ALMS is akin to when here in the States we had both the NFL and the USFL. Two football leagues could not survive. The market wasn't big enough to support them both. In my eyes, this has been the problem with having both ALMS and GA all along. There is a limited interest for sportscar racing in North America. The two series have been fighting over the same fans and the same teams for a decade. We've got guys like Ryan Daziel, Spencer Pumpelly, Guy Cosmo, Johannes Van Overbeek, and many many more trying to run in both series. We've got enough drivers. What we don't have is enough money from team owners and enough spectators/fans. Merge the two series and it becomes a lot easier for everyone involved to make it work.

I'm still pensive on how all of this will play out. It could be catastrophic if it's not handled properly. But I personally think that the manufacturers and the teams themsevles weild enough power to make this a good thing once all the bugs off it are sorted out.

What I would personally like to see is 2 separate races. One race that contains 3 prototype classes and one race that contains 2 or 3 GT classes. With the two series merged, there will be enough cars to run 2 races per weekend in just "Rolex" not even counting the street stock production class cars down in the Conti series.
Matt,

But look at it this way, NFL puts on 265 games a year! NBA fans get 66, and NASCAR does 41 races a year without the support races! AMLS and Rolex are 25 COMBINED! I watched them all (when televised) and attended them both. I think it's a fallacy that there was "too much" and that it was an either or proposition. How many of you guys wouldn't watch one over the other? The current situation in ALMS is due to a lack of $$$ in sponsorship due to the current economic climate and compounded by the broadcasting shenanigans with speed (who NASCAR owns). Seen the empty stands at a NASCAR race lately? They do their best not to pan over the grandstands. All series are down. I want more, not less, and like most, "consume" as much of both as I can get. Anyway Wednesday will be interesting...
Old 09-03-2012 | 07:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I wasn't talking about TV fans. I was talking about ticket buying in person fans. BTTC can bring out 100k people to watch a race. Same thing with Australian V8 supercars. And so can NASCAR. Race fans will travel to watch a race in person, just like other sports fans. But when there are 2 dozen events vying for a limited number of ticket buying dollars because fans don't have unlimited budgets, they will pick and choose. Cut the number of sportscar races to 1 dozen and you are going to get more fans in the stands.

It's funny you mention NASCAR because they seem to be getting the same sort of dilution problem between Cup and Nationwide. This year at Indy, it was the first time ever that the Brickyard 400 was held at the same track as the Nationwide race that historically runs the same weekend. They thought it was a good idea to bring in the Nationwide race in addition to the Grand Am race and call it a Super Weekend. My observation, with no knowledge of actual ticket numbers, was that there were way more people at the Grand Am races on Friday than attended the Nationwide race on Saturday. But neither of them brought in even 1/10th of the number of people who showed up for the Brickyard 400 on Sunday. What that says to me is that very few people actually took their marketing hook and bought a 3 day pass.
Old 09-03-2012 | 08:02 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

As a European I've had great times racing in some of the ALMS events.
There are two great benefits

- ALMS sharpens up teams and drivers
- the entry to Le Mans itself is invaluable

Even coping with the heat is educational

R+C
Old 09-03-2012 | 09:59 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

....so what are the ALMS teams talking about? Anyone have any insight into their thoughts?
Old 09-04-2012 | 02:02 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Here's my thoughts on the merge and hoping for the best.
1.ALMS had one up on GT2 series with many manufactures support and better racing but LOUSY TV coverage.
2.GAm had better racing in Prototype over ALMS P1 series with better TV coverage.
Hopefully they can mix both class with better broadcast and competitive racing.
Meanwhile, I will be watching German DTM on YouTube... It's one of best racing ever!
Old 09-04-2012 | 04:14 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Press conference tomorrow morning (Wednesday) at 10AM EST....

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001OnvIx...Yn8saaH9nYRw==
Old 09-04-2012 | 04:17 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Press conference tomorrow morning (Wednesday) at 10AM EST....

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001OnvIx...Yn8saaH9nYRw==
I'll be waking up early tomorrow to watch that press conference
Old 09-04-2012 | 04:21 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Here's my thoughts on the merge and hoping for the best.
1.ALMS had one up on GT2 series with many manufactures support and better racing but LOUSY TV coverage.
2.GAm had better racing in Prototype over ALMS P1 series with better TV coverage.
Hopefully they can mix both class with better broadcast and competitive racing.
Meanwhile, I will be watching German DTM on YouTube... It's one of best racing ever!
I disagree a bit with that...excluding the Rolex 24 and Sebring 12, GA has had 8-10 prototypes with only 4 or 5 competitive cars at most events; ALMS has averaged 12-15 prototypes between the 3 classes, and the P2 and PC battles have been great this year.
Old 09-04-2012 | 05:51 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

ALMS gets in on the party and gives a link for a live feed tomorrow. #nodenyingitnow

http://www.alms.com/articles/future-...-north-america
Old 09-04-2012 | 06:55 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

This is what worries me:

Name:  JCFRANCE.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  6.9 KB

Quick Reply: ALMS and Grand AM to merge!