Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS and Grand AM to merge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Something to keep in mind is that not only has ALMS been struggling in recent years, but so has LMS. They cancelled the final two races of the season and increased the number of points that Petit was worth, in addition to offering European teams travel assistance to come to the States and run at Atlanta. More than seeing DPs modified to fit within ACOs rules package, we may very well see ACO modify their rules to make a way to put DPs into LMS competition and able to run at Le Mans. After this "merger" it may be Grand Am that holds more of the cards and leverage than the ACO...

I guess we'll all know a bit more in 5 minutes when the press conference starts.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a lot of misconception about how things are organized. Enen if grand am says ok we are going to run ELMS rules all the big boys have moved over to WEC which runs FIA ACO rules still runs LMP1 and the full range of GT (and who franchises the 24, 12 and petit). Our North American endurance championship has already fallen to DP being the top of the heap so the writing is on the wall for the type of world class racing we used to have in ALMS unless GA reverses itself in a big way. All sad stuff, the annoucent in a few minutes will only be the first step...

A real irony: I have to sit and watch f&ckn "hard parts" on speed to see the announcement...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don says the link to Le Mans will be saved at least in part, at least there's that.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna need the big tub of popcorn it's going to be a long year
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Well **** I missed it. Caught the end. Did Atherton do his happy everything is awesome monkey dance?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
Don says the link to Le Mans will be saved at least in part, at least there's that.
then they threw P1 under the bus and starting touting Delta Wing

I think the LeMans link will be current ALMS GT/GTE-Pro spec only.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Long and short of it, ALMS/Ga are merging, it's going to be great, LeMans is important but so are our mfgrs, teams,sponsors,fans,suppliers..., the next year will work it all out...

Basically they don't have it worked out, well know in 2014...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Long and short of it, ALMS/Ga are merging, it's going to be great, LeMans is important but so are our mfgrs, teams,sponsors,fans,suppliers..., the next year will work it all out...

Basically they don't have it worked out, well know in 2014...
yep.

good news is, it looks like (at least from a GT perspective) they're starting with what the manufacturers want. MFRs=$$$.

bad news, teams/drivers/sponsors play the waiting game. hopefully not for too long...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Just announced new low cost tube framed Deltawing spec class!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
Just announced new low cost tube framed Deltawing spec class!
the truth is told in jest....

I think SPORTS CAR racing will be fine.

prototype racing however, I think we just saw it get euthanized.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
yep.

good news is, it looks like (at least from a GT perspective) they're starting with what the manufacturers want. MFRs=$$$.

bad news, teams/drivers/sponsors play the waiting game. hopefully not for too long...
err what manufacturers? or do you mean marketeers? AM, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Chevrolet, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes, Audi all want a series which lets them run cars in Europe, Japan, China, Brazil, the States, South East Asia, the Middle East, without modification and in the same, or related series. Nothing today addresses that reality.

All I'm hearing is reasons not to go endurance racing in the US.

R+C
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Pretty much what I expected...

The manufactures specifically listed were the GA GT cars only, and I can't remember if BMW was even on that list, don't think so....

DOA: Audi, Merc, Acura, Peugeot, Panoz, lotus, Pescarolo....
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi....
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I don't know who Fishey is (there are two things that smell like fish?),but I don't have him down as big on irony.

If the view expressed above is representative of those involved in GA, then real world endurance racing will say goodbye to the US of A. I don't think many folk round here want that, regardless of which side of the Atlantic they are located.

'To win Le Mans, first you have to win Sebring' as several of my Le Mans winning chums all too often say.

R+C
Originally Posted by Nordschleife
err what manufacturers? or do you mean marketeers? AM, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Chevrolet, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes, Audi all want a series which lets them run cars in Europe, Japan, China, Brazil, the States, South East Asia, the Middle East, without modification and in the same, or related series. Nothing today addresses that reality.

All I'm hearing is reasons not to go endurance racing in the US.

R+C
I want to, and will, remain positive but sadly, I can't but wholeheartedly agree with you.

Regarding the press conference, they all talked positive (well, duh) and this is not to say that there is no hope but what I was reading between the line was clear bias towards Grand-Am/US racing with the "hell with rest of the World" attitude.

France's opening lines which basically was touting Nascar and his dad and also when Scott Atherton practically had to force "yes" from France, regarding ALMS GT class remaining, were very telling.

And when asked about classes & tires their replies such as: "we haven't discussed those issues yet, for the past 6 months we've only had time to go over about finances..."

To me that sounds like ALMS for the past 6 months have negotiated and finally agreed for the price with Grand-Am/Nascar who now are the owners so what they say, goes (which if the case, won't be good).

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 830 Posts

So GARRA is taking over Road Atlanta & Sebring...

Quick Reply: ALMS and Grand AM to merge!