Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS and Grand AM to merge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I follow both series and don't see this as a good thing.

Either way you slice it one series is dead and that means less racing to watch, less jobs for everyone from drivers to mechanics, fewer support series, and more politics pushing out smaller series like World Challenge. I don't like the idea of of US road racing being run by Nascar in isolation from the rest of the world.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I follow both series and don't see this as a good thing.

Either way you slice it one series is dead and that means less racing to watch, less jobs for everyone from drivers to mechanics, fewer support series, and more politics pushing out smaller series like World Challenge. I don't like the idea of of US road racing being run by Nascar in isolation from the rest of the world.
I suspect that ALMS was about to die anyway. There just wasn't enough money to sustain the business model. The bottom line is that there just isn't enough interest to sustain two groups running similar class structures. Just like the CART and IRL situation was doomed, so was ALMS and Grand Am.

This had to happen. The question is will the right decisions and compromises be made.....I am hoping that they are but that is not what I expect.

Scott
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
...I don't like the idea of of US road racing being run by Nascar in isolation from the rest of the world.
+1

In the long run, if it turns out that ALMS is practically out and its all run by NASCAR, that will just further dumb down US road racing.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Just announced by PMNA:

"...All USA 2014 cup cars will be delivered with carburetors, five lug wheels, jack points ilo , air restrictors and right turn limiters..."
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Just announced by PMNA:

"...All USA 2014 cup cars will be delivered with carburetors, five lug wheels, jack points ilo , air restrictors and right turn limiters..."
LOL!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my predictions on what will be said.

Let me first say that without a doubt LMP1 is dead. Its dead in Europe in the WEC and the LMP1 cars litterally only run a few races at best and win big events then disappear thats terrible for a series. It won't happen you can bet that its effectively dead and with good reason. I think the LMP2 and LMPC cars will be merged into a single class. Simply change LMPC cars a bit to be faster and slow down the LMP2 cars a slight amount hopefully by banning traction control. The LMPC cars are effectively LMP2 cars with smaller motors. DP cars will stay around and will likely see some changes to make them just a bit faster say a second a lap. I am thinking we will likely see some motor changes and small aero changes. The GT ALMS cars will be GT1 cars and likely slowed down about a second a lap most likely by a simple tire change. GTC and Rolex GT cars are effectively the same so its going to be GT2 and a homologation to Grand-am spec for the GTC porsches as its very simple. I suggest Mid-Ohio as being one of the few good places to compare lap times so here is how it is now from this year.

Qualification
P2 cars 1:13.230
DP cars 1:18.079
GT (ALMS) 1:19.298
GTC 1:25.130
GT (Rolex) 1:25.083

I also suggest that most of you should note that tires play a huge role in these numbers as ALMS cars get qualification spec tires were Grand-Am does not. True numbers for speed difference should be looked at during the race and Racing Tire sets.

P2 cars 1:15.146
DP cars 1:18.529
GT(ALMS) 1:20.875
GTC 1:26.592
GT (Rolex) 1:24.746

So, as you can see true speed isnt as large as many people make it seem when you take into account the tire situation to The tires in Grand-Am are simply not on the same level as ALMS. ALMS cars lose 2 seconds when on race tires that should be noted are better then Grand-ams tires period, Grand-am does not have race tires and sometimes changes made between qualification and racing can lead to faster race laps being turned. The tire situation of ALMS is something that has got to change for ALMS moving into Rolex. Exclusive tire deals need to be in the past. I am for multiple tire manufactures but not when it is effectively up to the manufacture to select what teams can run there tires. If you want to offer your tires everyone should be able to buy them at the same cost.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ do you think P2/PC/DP will all be merged into one class?

also, what about some of the P1 programs (i.e. Porsche) in the pipeline? will this effect those programs?

otherwise I tend to agree with you, I think the GT classes are pretty easy to sort out.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

P2 and DP will survive as one class. DP will have to be made faster.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Streak
P2 and DP will survive as one class. DP will have to be made faster.
They will not merge DP and P2/PC as the cars are just too different. Also, they just went through great lengths to slow down the DP cars (They look better but are actually slower in 2012) in 2011 at Mid-Ohio the DP cars were running 1:16.504 as Pole Position at Mid-Ohio. So yes they could easily speed up the DP but its far more complicated then just lap times. (Drafting patterns, downforce levels, strait away speeds, etc.. etc..) So I think you will find the DP cars will stay in there own class.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey
They will not merge DP and P2/PC as the cars are just too different. Also, they just went through great lengths to slow down the DP cars (They look better but are actually slower in 2012) in 2011 at Mid-Ohio the DP cars were running 1:16.504 as Pole Position at Mid-Ohio. So yes they could easily speed up the DP but its far more complicated then just lap times. (Drafting patterns, downforce levels, strait away speeds, etc.. etc..) So I think you will find the DP cars will stay in there own class.

From http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/

"3. The LMP1 class from the ALMS will no longer be a part of the new series. The ALMS LMP2 class will survive, along with the GRAND-AM's Daytona Prototype class. The DeltaWing will also be a part of this new class as well. The new racing series will equalize those three classes. (Uh, good luck with that.) I'm sorry to report that the Rolex GT class will hang around, but it will come in below the ALMS GT class, which will be retained, intact (thank goodness). A testing program will be undertaken to sort all of these performance adjustments out."

They have to make sure the LMP2 is the same worldwide if they intend to compete at LeMans so the DP will have to be the car to change. No point in having LMP2 different in America vs the rest of the planet. DP doesn't compete anywhere else.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Streak
From http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/

"3. The LMP1 class from the ALMS will no longer be a part of the new series. The ALMS LMP2 class will survive, along with the GRAND-AM's Daytona Prototype class. The DeltaWing will also be a part of this new class as well. The new racing series will equalize those three classes. (Uh, good luck with that.) I'm sorry to report that the Rolex GT class will hang around, but it will come in below the ALMS GT class, which will be retained, intact (thank goodness). A testing program will be undertaken to sort all of these performance adjustments out."

They have to make sure the LMP2 is the same worldwide if they intend to compete at LeMans so the DP will have to be the car to change. No point in having LMP2 different in America vs the rest of the planet. DP doesn't compete anywhere else.
I don't see how they are going to make DP cars and LMP P2/PC cars compete in the same ring.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

It's definitely going to be tricky.

They could try making the LMP2 cars use solid rear axles and carbureted V8's
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
GTC and Rolex GT cars are effectively the same so its going to be GT2 and a homologation to Grand-am spec for the GTC porsches as its very simple.
This is the second place I've seen this stated and it is very far from being accurate. To take a standard spec Cup car and make it Grand Am spec is a $50k conversion package that PMNA will include with the car. To make the car competitive in GA GT class racing against the other marques requires an additional 6 figures put into it to convert to the 4.0l engine and the RSR gearbox. GTC will die with this merger. GT3 Challenge will survive it and continue to run support sprint races, but the GTC cars will not see very many conversions over to GA GT spec to compete. Alex Job, TRG, Miller and a couple other teams will have cars, but they are the teams (and drivers) that currently run both series. The rest of the GTC field will drop out and only run GT3 Challenge and regional series like Pirelli Cup or PCA races.

Your point about tires is very relevant though. Personally, what I would like to see, though I really doubt it will happen, is the choice of tire manufacturers that currently exists in ALMS should be the new model in the new series. But I don't see NASCAR/GA doing that. They are going to continue to force a spec tire of their choice on the fields.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTgears
This is the second place I've seen this stated and it is very far from being accurate. To take a standard spec Cup car and make it Grand Am spec is a $50k conversion package that PMNA will include with the car. To make the car competitive in GA GT class racing against the other marques requires an additional 6 figures put into it to convert to the 4.0l engine and the RSR gearbox. GTC will die with this merger. GT3 Challenge will survive it and continue to run support sprint races, but the GTC cars will not see very many conversions over to GA GT spec to compete. Alex Job, TRG, Miller and a couple other teams will have cars, but they are the teams (and drivers) that currently run both series. The rest of the GTC field will drop out and only run GT3 Challenge and regional series like Pirelli Cup or PCA races.

Your point about tires is very relevant though. Personally, what I would like to see, though I really doubt it will happen, is the choice of tire manufacturers that currently exists in ALMS should be the new model in the new series. But I don't see NASCAR/GA doing that. They are going to continue to force a spec tire of their choice on the fields.
Well to be fair I was thinking the GA Cup car was more in the 50k range for the conversion. I didn't think there was any engine change allowed or gearbox change allowed. That being said in 2014 we will be dealing with a new car the 991 Cup so its unlikely many 997 cars will continue to be used at GA or ALMS level of racing basically.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
They are going to continue to force a spec tire of their choice on the fields.
That's unfortunate since the teams that want to compete at LeMans will surely want to run the LeMans tires all season. It only makes sense that they'd gather all that data rather than showing up in France with an tire they haven't raced on.

Quick Reply: ALMS and Grand AM to merge!