Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The End of Braking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

1st......I lOVE your books!!!! I learned SO much reading Speed Secrets!!!!

Great thread on braking, a point I need to improve in my racing techinque.... Well that and a bunch of other things too..... :>)

I recall Jackie Stewart saying he won most of his F1 races by being "smoother" off the brakes!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Sort of interesting (if there are any skiers here) that we talk about 'bending' into the arc with patience and minimal edge angle to help carry momentum when coaching ski racers. Any more edge angle than necessary causes scrub, deflects the skier's center of mass too early (i.e. pinching or early apexing) and slows the athlete down on the wrong trajectory. Good skiers try to roll on literally just a couple degrees and 'feel' the sidecut. To a novice this would be imperceptable vs. a flat ski, but in fact the turning capacity of the sidecut has been very subtly engaged. Just like bending a car into the turn "early but not early" with just a wee touch of steering input "ahead" of the arc.
It's no accident that so many of the guest drivers in Supercup are skiers. The other sport that transfers easily is equitation (Mark Philips beat Graham Hill at an auto gymkhana many years ago).

In order to have the maximum control through the initial phase of a corner, many of us slightly destabilise the car before turning in, this is analogous to the 'down unweighting' that a top skier does prior to changing direction (lesser skiers have to 'up unweight'). If still comparatively hard on the brakes at this point, the implied instability resultant upon heavy retardation can be used to assist in destroying the inertia and making the car extra receptive to differing directional inputs.

Good downhill skiers are mostly naturals when it comes to driving. I bet Boris Becker is one hell of a skier (don't bet, I know he is).

R+C
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Oh, sorry, Dan, that i didn't answer the sxpecific question you meant. I can only speak for myself here (and perhaps Seth LOL!) but in many cases, with high entry speeds, the blending of brake release and turning necessitates a short (usually less than a second) period where no brakes are being applied and no throttle is being applied, somewhere at or near the place of maximum steering input and just past it, as the chassis settles and the contact patches start working better. The term "float" is often used because, to some people, the car feels as if it is floating through that part of the corner, neither loaded on its nose (braking) nor its rear (acceleration).
Mr. Bentley discusses this in Speed Secrets under what he calls the "Traction Circle" which I've linked below starting on page 56. The essence is his explanation of the limitation of tires and the "smooth, progressive overlapping of braking, cornering, and acceleration". It's a valuable read that really helped me understand the contribution of the different dynamics at play. Please spend a minute and take a look....

http://books.google.com/books?id=YY1...circle&f=false
Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

VR & JR - thanks muchly!! That was exactly what I was trying to wrap my head around. That was really helpful.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

If you look at page 57 of Speed Secrets (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13450698128651) Ross has a pic of his Traction Circle in which he details the different steps in taking a turn at maximum speed starting with "Pure(maximum) braking" to combined braking and cornering(trail braking), to "pure(maximum)cornering", and to "combined acceleration and cornering(unwinding", and on to "pure(maximum) acceleration". The charcaol colored section called "pure(maximum) cornering" is what we mortals would refer to as coasting. The graph shows us where that occurs in the process....
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
... the limitation of tires and the "smooth, progressive overlapping of braking, cornering, and acceleration". It's a valuable read that really helped me understand the contribution of the different dynamics at play. Please spend a minute and take a look....

http://books.google.com/books?id=YY1...circle&f=false
Therefore, "optimum" driving will involve trail-braking at every single corner, correct?

Yes, I understand that it will be to varying degrees depending on the layout of said corner, but the idea of the traction circle and of the smooth transition between axis' of traction is universal, and should apply everywhere...?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FFaust
Therefore, "optimum" driving will involve trail-braking at every single corner, correct?

Yes, I understand that it will be to varying degrees depending on the layout of said corner, but the idea of the traction circle and of the smooth transition between axis' of traction is universal, and should apply everywhere...?
If you're asking me I would say yes, the principles stay constant.....
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

ABSOLUTELY!

If you're asking me I would say yes, the principles stay constant.....
Yes!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks.

I had/have been led to believe that trail-braking was one of the tools, something to use in some corners, in some circumstances, but not something that should be used everywhere.

It's one of the things that can bite the inexperienced driver, so I can see why DE instructors (as opposed to coaches, who would normally deal with a more advanced clientele) would caution their students, or even omit to mention it.

Brings us back nicely to the topic of "end of braking"... and to what I need to work on.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Thanks.

I had/have been led to believe that trail-braking was one of the tools, something to use in some corners, in some circumstances, but not something that should be used everywhere.

It's one of the things that can bite the inexperienced driver, so I can see why DE instructors (as opposed to coaches, who would normally deal with a more advanced clientele) would caution their students, or even omit to mention it.

Brings us back nicely to the topic of "end of braking"... and to what I need to work on.
There is nothing as valuable as competent coaching. Hands down the most vaulable modification or tool you can invest in. The DE/Club line you learn from DE instructors is fine for DE events, but if you wish to succeed in racing then competent professional instruction is mandatory.....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Let's talk about the difference between "trail-braking" and adding steering input while still slowing.

This is the reason why SBRS changed their nomenclature and glossary from "trail braking" to "brake turning" after the publication of Carl Lopez's book, Going Faster.

Brake-turning is what most DE instructors and students do when they talk about "trail braking." The idea is to prolong the release of the brakes on slow and longer corners to assist in provoking the car to pivot on it's outside front wheel axis and reduce the amount of steering input required.

That is a discipline that must be mastered to reduce the amount of time it takes to turn and "point" the car downstream in these slow, excrutiating corners.

That is similar, but NOT exactly what I think Ross, JGS, Seth, VR and I are talking about when we talk about the magical moment where the proper entry speed and brake release affect the suspension platform so perfectly that the car does most, if not all the work in medium and higher speed corners. That is the "bending" part, and is particularly appropriate for medium to fast corners.

While you can easily observe on TV and in videos the feeding in of the wheel as the speed comes off at the end of the braking zone, continuing sometimes all the way down to the apex, that is a somewhat separate and practicable skill set all drivers must familiarize themselves with.

One of the reasons why mine (and others) coaching businesses are going as well as they are is because our clients want a data-supported and concrete set of plans and answers, not this duality and dichotomy of "DE vs racing."

I like to think the best coaches believe there is a most efficient way to conduct a car around the course, and that way is dictated by the execution of fundamental skills as perfectly as possible, every corner, every lap, every session. Do that, and the lap times will take care of themselves..
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Where does 'maintenance throttle' fit into all of this?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 830 Posts

There is nothing as valuable as competent coaching. Hands down the most vaulable modification or tool you can invest in. The DE/Club line you learn from DE instructors is fine for DE events, but if you wish to succeed in racing then competent professional instruction is mandatory.....
Could not agree more!

Originally Posted by Lolaman
That magical moment where the proper entry speed and brake release affect the suspension platform so perfectly that the car does most, if not all the work in medium and higher speed corners.
DING DING DING! Exactly! The car is doing the vast majority of the work in these properly executed conditions, not the driver!!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
DING DING DING! Exactly! The car is doing the vast majority of the work in these properly executed conditions, not the driver!!
So it's OK that I keep my eyes closed during those scary seconds???
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
So it's OK that I keep my eyes closed during those scary seconds???
Keep your eyes on the road and both feet on the wheel

Quick Reply: The End of Braking...