Sponsored by:

The End of Braking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
I think people are getting to caught up in the technique described and the graphs displayed.

As Ross says in his books (which I have and read, and think I said earlier) you simply need to drive at the limit of tire grip at all times. Following what's described in the thread (smooth, slow inputs, etc) alone won't get you anywhere (except lapped) unless you're at the limit of grip.

As a thought experiment I'd be curious to see how many people think they're at the limit of grip in the 4 important areas at all times -- braking zone, first third of corner, middle of corner, and exit of corners. I know personally, I go back and forth between thinking I'm there and then having a better driver show me I'm not.

I think most drivers, if they honestly grade their performance, realize they aren't using up all the car but don't have the confidence in their ability to move back and forth over the limit. Myself included, And I have a pretty damn good amount of confidence. :-D

When I found myself stuck at about 1 second off of a very good Pro on a 1:50~ lap, I spent a few months overanalyzing data trying to figure out what the problem was (I'm an engineer by trade, what can i say). It wasn't until I said f*ck it, and just started driving again that I moved on to the next stage of speed...

-mike
I find sitting R-seat and watching my pro friend wheel my car around is by far the most humbling and educating teacher. His entry speed and control skills are well beyond my pay grade. I grade my performance at 90% and realize exactly where there's more on the table. As you stated, it's the confidence to move back-n-forth over the limit....
Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Which of Ross's books would be good to get? Is "Ultimate Speed Secrets" the one to buy?

Scott
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I find sitting R-seat and watching my pro friend wheel my car around is by far the most humbling and educating teacher. His entry speed and control skills are well beyond my pay grade. I grade my performance at 90% and realize exactly where there's more on the table. As you stated, it's the confidence to move back-n-forth over the limit....
Yep this is always telling. I was always pretty laid back with a student barreling into a corner knowing the car has plenty left, but sitting right seat with a pro, way deeper into the brake zone you find your left foot impulsively denting the floorboard, and reaching for some handhold when they carry more speed than you thought possible through the corner... It does build confidence knowing what the chassis is capable of and humbling knowing how much you've left on the table...it's an eye opener...

Scott, I have them all and they are well worn, different takeaways in each...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM
savowood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not when you brake, but when you take them off that counts. --Sir Jackie Stewart
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Yep this is always telling. I was always pretty laid back with a student barreling into a corner knowing the car has plenty left, but sitting right seat with a pro, way deeper into the brake zone you find your left foot impulsively denting the floorboard, and reaching for some handhold when they carry more speed than you thought possible through the corner... It does build confidence knowing what the chassis is capable of and humbling knowing how much you've left on the table...it's an eye opener...

Scott, I have them all and they are well worn, different takeaways in each...
There's a new compilation of the Speed Secrets books. Look here:
n.com/Ultimate-Speed-Secrets-Complete-High-Performance/dp/0760340501 n.com/Ultimate-Speed-Secrets-Complete-High-Performance/dp/0760340501

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 08-17-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
There's a new compilation of the Speed Secrets books. Look here: n.com/Ultimate-Speed-Secrets-Complete-High-Performance/dp/0760340501
Doc,

That URL is not complete. Does it refer to the "Ultimate Speed Secrets" book?

Scott
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed it, thanks, and yes!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Fixed it, thanks, and yes!
No, thank you! I ordered it yesterday!!

Scott
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! Thanks to all for valuable info.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So the bottom line is "brake to the apex, release, perhaps float for under 1 second and then apex, but the apex is the "END OF BRAKING"?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Certainly, unless the car is not yet pointed in the right direction.

Mike, you know better than most how to do this, but using the tractive effort of the tire to the fullest is harder for most folks that have not had the same access to your resources and the frequency of access to the racetrack as you have.

It's a tough deal. Like love or armchair quarterbacking, it's easier than it looks on video and EASY, on hindsight!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ross_Bentley
For years I wondered why when someone asked me where I started braking for a certain corner I couldn’t seem to give him/her a very accurate answer. Then, when I started asking other drivers the same question I saw a pattern: The best/fastest drivers had a hard time saying exactly where they started braking; the slower drivers could always tell me exactly where they started to brake. Thinking about this I realized that I tended to focus on where I was going to finish my braking when approaching a corner more than where I was going to start. Writing about and coaching drivers to focus on the End-of-Braking point more than the Begin-of-Braking point has been one of the most productive things I’ve done – more drivers tell me this has helped than just about anything else.
Ross, thank you for your post and insight. You've created quite a thread. I see this as a good deep braking lesson, or at least another angle from which to view it. I look forward to future posts and the debates they bring from the well trained minds in here. I will now never have to pay for another lesson! lol.. J/K.

I don't know how you instructors do it. How you get into (many of them) a car to be driven to the limits in the hands of someone totally unqualified to drive it, is beyond me. I barely trust myself, let alone anyone else with my life.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
So the bottom line is "brake to the apex, release, perhaps float for under 1 second and then apex, but the apex is the "END OF BRAKING"?
Not quite and you have to be really careful with oversimplifying it but it's more like

Brake
Release to the apex
If you're living right you're off the brake and "floating" to the apex
If you over slowed your adding throttle to the apex
Feather in throttle
Be back on full power when the car is pointed in the right direction
Wash
Rinse
Repeat
Less brake
More gas
Don't forget to pay your waitress
Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by J richard
Not quite and you have to be really careful with oversimplifying it but it's more like

Brake
Release to the apex
If you're living right you're off the brake and "floating" to the apex
If you over slowed your adding throttle to the apex
Feather in throttle
Be back on full power when the car is pointed in the right direction
Wash
Rinse
Repeat
Less brake
More gas
Don't forget to pay your waitress
To be crystal clear, (but grain of salt, I'm no instructor and hope they correct) you're still on the brakes, but letting off on the way to the apex. (deep braking with more braking ) Not all turns will let you brake all the way to the Apex. You will have to let off much earlier. You will have to work on letting off at the max cornering speed, and not less. (less being that you have to add more throttle to get there as opposed to steady throttle)

Don't forget to realize your own car's limits in between, and maybe work on making it more stable in a trail braking situation. Otherwise, just deal with its quirks on the way out.

Maybe simplify all that with another version. Stop as hard as you can in a straight line, with a little braking left over into the turn. Don't immediately let go of the brakes because you are in a turn. That will upset the balance. smoothly, but quickly let off the brakes for a nice strong transition from front loaded G's to side loaded G's as close to the apex as you can, or the turn will allow. Typical race car juggling act. This just adds an extra "ball" or two..
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Maybe simplify all that with another version. Stop as hard as you can in a straight line, with a little braking left over into the turn. Don't immediately let go of the brakes because you are in a turn. That will upset the balance. smoothly, but quickly let off the brakes for a nice strong transition from front loaded G's to side loaded G's as close to the apex as you can, or the turn will allow. Typical race car juggling act. This just adds an extra "ball" or two..
I guess you didn't read the whole thread....

Scott

Quick Reply: The End of Braking...