Sponsored by:

PCA Mid Ohio Club Race 8-17-12

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

It's worth a shot man! You can't catch a break!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Holy crap your car just snapped frank......thats crazy how quick it goes around....
Sorry for all those that had damage, i know how that goes.

ill get some vids up soon.

Congrats on the Win Jack...stupid pits haha...i didnt know you had won till i went to go see Jim and he said too bad all that fighting was for 4 an 5th...i said HUH???...we battled the entire enduro and i just didnt have the tire to keep up...

great weekend overall...thats a really funy track to race on...thought i would miss the chicane but really liked it without it.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great seeing everyone again this weekend. Hope Summit weather is the same, sans hail or sleet.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Congrats on the Win Jack...stupid pits haha...i didnt know you had won till i went to go see Jim and he said too bad all that fighting was for 4 an 5th...i said HUH???...we battled the entire enduro and i just didnt have the tire to keep up...
Ugghhh...

I went past T11(?) and #817 (blue/silver boxster) was in the tires on drivers right and looked pretty bad. At the end of Thunder Valley, there was NOT a "Pits Closed" sign. I wasn't smart/quick enough to jump into the pits. I picked up the Double Yellow at S/F. Bummer for me...

- Jim

PS: And Kudo to the tracker workers. Did they get some track workers from Road America? I was really amazed they went out and pulled cars out of the gravel during the sprints with only a local yellow.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, Frank that was a wild ride. I guess you came back on track or did another car go off to the right?
It was looking like a really good move up to the point of no return.
The tub is totaled? Have you had it on a lift for inspection. I think reinforcement at that mounting is legal.
I thought is was going to be a brake gremlin again. That issue may be resolved now.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Child
That's a disapointment. Every other racing organization has determined that the pro course makes for better racing. I don't know why we should be any different. Mid Ohio really needs the extra passing opportunity you get with the pro course.
Originally Posted by mikew968
Club course is great for DE but Pro course is much better for racing!!
Originally Posted by Astroman
I'll concede that the Pro course provides a better passing opportunity, but it's not like the Club course offers no opportunity to pass. I get inside people entering the Keyhole from the Chicane ALL THE TIME. Plus, the Chicane is fun as hell (and certainly more challenging).
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I had a really good time racing on the Pro course this weekend (more so than in 2010). Yes, the Pro course is better for racing. Good decision, PCA.

It was also a good decision to move the date. There was a great turnout this year. It was nice to see the paddock full again.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT

great weekend overall...thats a really funy track to race on...thought i would miss the chicane but really liked it without it.
Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Ugghhh...

I went past T11(?) and #817 (blue/silver boxster) was in the tires on drivers right and looked pretty bad. At the end of Thunder Valley, there was NOT a "Pits Closed" sign. I wasn't smart/quick enough to jump into the pits. I picked up the Double Yellow at S/F. Bummer for me...

- Jim

PS: And Kudo to the tracker workers. Did they get some track workers from Road America? I was really amazed they went out and pulled cars out of the gravel during the sprints with only a local yellow.
Thanks Evan. It was nice to finally meet you. I felt bad for you and Jim. But just a little.

Yes, I couldn't believe I was able to get in the pits (with at least 2 other cars) before the double-yellow. It was pretty exciting.

And I also agree with the rescue crews... seemingly from Road America. It was impressive and appreciated.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

My first time to Mid Ohio and we ran the sports car course thursday for test and tune and the Pro course for the race. Pro course is way better. MO has enough twisties it doesn't need a damn chicane.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Did anyone get video of me spinning on the pace lap of the enduro ? At least I wasn't alone ..... ( I think I counted at least 2 others )
Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Brent - just checked Mylaps - looked like you had a nice weekend with a 1st & 2nd Brent - well done!

Nice to see some Spec Boxsters turning out, and putting up some respectable lap times, as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Nice to see some Spec Boxsters turning out, and putting up some respectable lap times, as well.
None of the Spec Boxster guys are respectable in any way.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Good times this weekend. I had a rear drop link break in Sprint 1. Ran sprint two for a few laps but the bar was banging on the frame so I parked it. Anyway, can't wait to get the car dialed in and I'm really looking forward to running all of 2013 in the same.

Awesome weather.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Right rear sway bar mount failed exactly at initial turn in. The factory sheet metal there has always looked suspect for the big bars we run so I always inspect that area carefully when the tires are off and I did that morning when I was fixing the brakes (again). I asked my mechanic yesterday whether anyone cuts off the factory mount and uses aftermarket and he told me that he doesn't think that is legal in stock class and that they usually just weld them back on when the fail and they end up stronger because of metal added during welding. Other 911 racers may want to consider that kind of reinforcement before they fail.

Hunt, can you use some your voodoo mojo (demonstrated in the Summit Point thread) to good use and banish my curse?
The mount reinforcements from Wevo are weld on in place of the flimsy sheet metal mounts, and I wouldn't run with them stock. Placement is exactly the same as stock (not that it would change anything). If those are against the rules then NJ will be my last PCA race as I won't risk my life over what would be a really stupid rule... to be honest I thought every 911 has been upgraded to the safer mounts by now.... glad you weren't hurt Frank.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

Frank, I am almost positive you won't run afoul of the rules with the Wevo sway bar mount. All it is is stronger and safer and I think a whole lot of 911's run them. It's not performance enhancing unless you consider not crashing a performance advantage?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The mount reinforcements from Wevo are weld on in place of the flimsy sheet metal mounts, and I wouldn't run with them stock. Placement is exactly the same as stock (not that it would change anything). If those are against the rules then NJ will be my last PCA race as I won't risk my life over what would be a really stupid rule... to be honest I thought every 911 has been upgraded to the safer mounts by now.... glad you weren't hurt Frank.
Originally Posted by Streak
Frank, I am almost positive you won't run afoul of the rules with the Wevo sway bar mount. All it is is stronger and safer and I think a whole lot of 911's run them. It's not performance enhancing unless you consider not crashing a performance advantage?
Thanks. Boy I am so sick of learning this **** the hard way. I bought what everyone said was a well prepared car from a shop with an excellent reputation so I figured something as basic as this would have been addressed a long time before it came into my hands.

Anybody have a good roller for sale? I have one out-of-this world Euro 3.0 to stuff in it and get back out there if you take MasterCard. You heard of check book racing? Well, yea, I have become the opposite.

Quick Reply: PCA Mid Ohio Club Race 8-17-12