Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

2012 European Grand Prix (Valencia)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Post race was on Speed so that was actually ok.
Yes, they only said "join us on Speed for the post race show" about 1000 times...

IMO, Maldonado put his car in an impossible position. If Hamilton had given a whole car width there, he might as well have pulled over and parked it.

Funny how quiet it is around here after Alonso has a great race...
Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Alonso
Schumi
Hammy
Ham on five and hold the Mayo.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Yes, they only said "join us on Speed for the post race show" about 1000 times...

IMO, Maldonado put his car in an impossible position. If Hamilton had given a whole car width there, he might as well have pulled over and parked it.

Yes, that is how these people roll. Pure cowards. They hide when Alonso is doing well and come out in bunches when he is not. I am sure they are having their conf calls as we speak. I hear crickets, lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Alonso once again proved that he is the consummate racer, always, maximizing what he is given. One has to feel for both Vettel and Grosjean, as they were driving perfectly too. But that is racing. Schumi, Kimi and Mark all drove exemplary races too. Overall it was a great race: Many good drives up and down the field.

Maldonado was penalized, so obviously the stewards (who know much more than I ever will) feel that he bears the blame.

That said, I think they BOTH did not show good judgment. It was always going to be dicey once Lewis ran Maldonado so wide (off the track) on the first corner. At the end of the day, it seemed pretty clear that Hamilton’s tires were done and the best he was going to do was delay the inevitable a corner or two. It was the wrong time to race so aggressively IMO (this goes for both of them, although I think Hamilton had far more to lose).
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,279 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Yes, that is how these people roll. Pure cowards. They hide when Alonso is doing well and come out in bunches when he is not. I am sure they are having their conf calls as we speak. I hear crickets, lol.
Raj, come'on.... As good as Alonso drove, and I'll give him all the credit in the world... even HE admitted there was a lot of luck involved in that win, why can't you admit it?

Let's face it, there was a safety car periodk, Red Bull has had unbelievable reliability and for Vettel to have mechanical problems, Grojean to have mechanical problems, Hamilton to have his front jack break and then have a 14.1 second pit stop because the jack broke and they couldn't put on the tires all allowed Alonso to be where he was.

Once again, I give Alonso all the credit in the world because above all else, he has been an opportunist all his racing career, but let's not pretend that he blitzed the field. Everything had to fall into place for him to win and if a Hollywood writer were to write that script and for him to do it in front of his home crowd, I would have said this is fairy tail stuff.

Aside from that, very impressive runs by a lot of people including Schumi and especially Webber for jumping 15 positions. And to be fair, both Schumi and Webber wouldn't have been where they are without the DNFs of Vettel, Grojean, Hamilton and Maldonado.

Has Massa or Button crossed the finish line yet?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Hamilton was under investigation for passing under yellow. What ever happened with that? Can't find anything about penalties or no penalties etc. Did they just let it go because he had a DNF?
It took them forever to announce the decision, but the stewards did finally determine no action to be taken.

Announced before his day ended, BTW.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Raj, come'on.... As good as Alonso drove, and I'll give him all the credit in the world... even HE admitted there was a lot of luck involved in that win, why can't you admit it?

Let's face it, there was a safety car periodk, Red Bull has had unbelievable reliability and for Vettel to have mechanical problems, Grojean to have mechanical problems, Hamilton to have his front jack break and then have a 14.1 second pit stop because the jack broke and they couldn't put on the tires all allowed Alonso to be where he was.

Once again, I give Alonso all the credit in the world because above all else, he has been an opportunist all his racing career, but let's not pretend that he blitzed the field. Everything had to fall into place for him to win and if a Hollywood writer were to write that script and for him to do it in front of his home crowd, I would have said this is fairy tail stuff...
Come on Pete,

Why do you always have to be such a buzz kill and include facts?

...Has Massa or Button crossed the finish line yet?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place finish (behind Vettel, Grojean, and Hamilton) would have to be considered a great drive for Alonso.

The Speed commentators were tripping over themselves with the superlatives for him... Although I'm getting tired of them making excuses for his car.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

...but let's not pretend that he blitzed the field. Everything had to fall into place for him to win and if a Hollywood writer were to write that script and for him to do it in front of his home crowd, I would have said this is fairy tail stuff.
Pete, who would you cast to play Alonzo?
(yes this is a volleyball set -- who's gonna spike it????)
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Even a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place finish (behind Vettel, Grojean, and Hamilton) would have to be considered a great drive for Alonso.

The Speed commentators were tripping over themselves with the superlatives for him... Although I'm getting tired of them making excuses for his car.
I agree, and the reason being that most of the races at Valencia in the 5 years they've been running there you finish within one position of where you qualified -- Always a boring race. Yesterday's race had extraordinary circumstances, which shuffled the field tremendously. Outright speed was not a factor and once again, tires are playing a bigger role is making the racing exciting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ferrari fan and always love to see a red car P1, but I know there is a lot of work to do when both cars didn't make it out of Q2.

Right now RBR and Vettel are scaring me if I'm the rest of the field because yesterday looked to be a repeat of last year when Vettel would just check out from the rest of the pack and before the safety car he had a 20 second lead.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
Come on man, give the guy a break. He had a chance to be the first two race winner this season and was leading in the points when he wrecked his car. You got to be disappointed In my opinion, he caused the collision with Maldonado but the judges blamed Maldonado so Hammy has reason to be bummed
I'll accept your comments, but his actions speak like a sort of immature racer when he SHOULD NOT be acting like this. He KNEW, i think, that M was there. A racer knows what do do when its all good AND when its all very upside down.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Once again, I give Alonso all the credit in the world because above all else, he has been an opportunist all his racing career, but let's not pretend that he blitzed the field. Everything had to fall into place for him to win and if a Hollywood writer were to write that script and for him to do it in front of his home crowd, I would have said this is fairy tail stuff.

Aside from that, very impressive runs by a lot of people including Schumi and especially Webber for jumping 15 positions. And to be fair, both Schumi and Webber wouldn't have been where they are without the DNFs of Vettel, Grojean, Hamilton and Maldonado.

Has Massa or Button crossed the finish line yet?
Yes, he did get lucky but to say it was all luck is not fair either. How come no response to Mr FGL28's post about Alonso getting lucky and no mention about his driving. Call it for what it is, great driving with some luck.
You have to put yourself in position to take advantage of others mistakes. He qualified 11th for God's sake!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, he did get lucky but to say it was all luck is not fair either. How come no response to Mr FGL28's post about Alonso getting lucky and no mention about his driving. Call it for what it is, great driving with some luck.
You have to put yourself in position to take advantage of others mistakes. He qualified 11th for God's sake!
I know. That's all I'm saying. e took advantage of what was given to him. He's done it for years. He maximises everything, especially in a bad situation like P11.

On another note, I thought that the McLaren crew did a fantastic job with their pit stops regardless of what the SPEED broadcasters day. The first sub 3 sec pit stop for the season of any team and then a broken front jack. Do you know how rare that is? But if you look at the replay, the backup jackman was ready for it immediately as if he was expecting it to break -- very seamless. Kind of hard to change a tire when the car collapses, but to blame the McLaren pit crew for that is wrong.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I turned to Speed at the end of the fox broadcast, and there was Barrett Jackson Later they had "speed center" or something like that and they showed some post race stuff, but I like the podium trophy presentations and the post race interviews with the podium winners. Did not see either one
Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Dude, good grief...get over yourself & your anger.

Quick Reply: 2012 European Grand Prix (Valencia)