18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

2012 European Grand Prix (Valencia)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally got to see the race. Until now, I had to rely on results. I guess someone mentioned problems with DirectTV. I have to agree, one of the best races so far. Shame that Grojean had a failure. Would love to see him win. He has been a class act and has been faster than Kimi on most occasions.
RBR is looking fast again, look out!
I find Hammy incident to be more of Hammy's fault BUT Maldonado should have waited. He was a sitting duck. Why force the issue. Great race, well worth the wait.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FGL28
I did not cry myself to sleep. As I said before he was lucky.
There are what 11 races left? Crow when she wins WDC. I just want it decided in Austin.

Your have a chip on your shoulder against those who see the true Alonso. We show up regardless of how She does.
We? where is the rest of your squad? I think you are all alone. The rest are waiting for a bad result. Until then, they will hide in their burrows...
I have a chip on my shoulder for pessimists who cannot get over the past and can't stop harping about it. Move on guys.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
MS also used DRS under Yellow. Nothing said about that.
After a lengthy stewards’ investigation on Sunday evening, Michael Schumacher’s podium finish stands in Valencia. The Mercedes driver was judged to have slowed sufficiently under yellow flags after Lewis Hamilton had crashed.

Schumacher’s third place is his first since returning to Formula 1 in 2010. After the race, question marks rose as the stewards confirmed that an investigation was underway for passing two marshal posts under yellow flag conditions, with his DRS open.

After reviewing the evidence and hearing the opinions of Schumacher, the stewards – including ex driver Mika Salo – decided that no penalty or reprimand should be given.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

what is wrong with you raj? seriously you sound unstable. relax and have fun. You remind me of any angry drunk
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the waving green flag right next to those terrified corner workers trying to push Vettel's car off the track?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
What about the waving green flag right next to those terrified corner workers trying to push Vettel's car off the track?
When I saw that I started screaming WTF.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
After a lengthy stewards’ investigation on Sunday evening, Michael Schumacher’s podium finish stands in Valencia. The Mercedes driver was judged to have slowed sufficiently under yellow flags after Lewis Hamilton had crashed.

Schumacher’s third place is his first since returning to Formula 1 in 2010. After the race, question marks rose as the stewards confirmed that an investigation was underway for passing two marshal posts under yellow flag conditions, with his DRS open.

After reviewing the evidence and hearing the opinions of Schumacher, the stewards – including ex driver Mika Salo – decided that no penalty or reprimand should be given.
Lol, I'm glad they asked MS for his opinion also. I think the Yellow flag was opportune for him as I think MW had a shot at the podium. Having said that, I recognise that both were only there due to other's failures. I was also happy for MS on behalf of the older brigade and you could see that he was genuinely chuffed to be back up there. You can imagine that this guy has a hell of a lot of pride and regaining a bit of extra respect back is always a good feeling.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
what is wrong with you raj? seriously you sound unstable. relax and have fun. You remind me of any angry drunk
This is the problem with the internet. Easy to misinterpret what people write. I am by no means angry when I write this. Maybe emoticons will help in the future. People tend to take things the wrong way.
My statements was not made in anger by any means, so chill out guys.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Not sure if any of you guys noticed, but isn't it against the rules to come to a halt after you finish the race. The car has to be brought back under its own power to the pits. Alonso mentioned something about some car problem and why he shut it off.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Well said.

Regardless of who we each think was at fault this time, I doubt there's anyone without a British accent that doesn't think Hamilton let the red mist take over & showed terrible judgement. Again.

Although he clearly has awesome talent, Hamilton's weakness is the inability to manage a race & season. Yet another prime example here.
I'll admit to having a British accent but I think we must have been watching a different racer this year! This year Hamilton has chilled out and drove with a cool head and reaped the rewards by leading the championship prior to Valencia. The red mist has clearly been absent this year. Red mist in the past did indeed cost him points by trying to make passes that weren't on. Here, it was Maldonado that tried to make the pass that wasn't on and therefore might have been suffering from red mist.

I think any of the drivers would have vented their anger if they had found themselves in the wall on the last lap when in a podium position. That was reaction to the incident, not red mist. Hamilton deserves a lot of credit for how he's conducted himself this year, as does Alonso for producing results far beyond what the car is really capable of.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Not sure if any of you guys noticed, but isn't it against the rules to come to a halt after you finish the race. The car has to be brought back under its own power to the pits. Alonso mentioned something about some car problem and why he shut it off.
They will penalize the driver if they can not bring the car back to the pits after qualifying, but it is pretty rare to penalize them when it happens after the race.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I'll admit to having a British accent but I think we must have been watching a different racer this year! This year Hamilton has chilled out and drove with a cool head and reaped the rewards by leading the championship prior to Valencia. The red mist has clearly been absent this year. Red mist in the past did indeed cost him points by trying to make passes that weren't on. Here, it was Maldonado that tried to make the pass that wasn't on and therefore might have been suffering from red mist.

I think any of the drivers would have vented their anger if they had found themselves in the wall on the last lap when in a podium position. That was reaction to the incident, not red mist. Hamilton deserves a lot of credit for how he's conducted himself this year, as does Alonso for producing results far beyond what the car is really capable of.
I have observed a big improvement in Hamilton's attitude this season and I will be one of the first in line to slam the Brit when I think he has caused a crash. Sure he could have handled the incident differently, but it was Maldonado with four tires off of the track who then turned into Hamilton's car. Maldonado was the one who showed poor judgment in this incident.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
I have observed a big improvement in Hamilton's attitude this season and I will be one of the first in line to slam the Brit when I think he has caused a crash. Sure he could have handled the incident differently, but it was Maldonado with four tires off of the track who then turned into Hamilton's car. Maldonado was the one who showed poor judgment in this incident.
Not sure it was that clear cut. Maldonado should have waited, Hammy was a sitting duck, BUT Hamilton did squeeze Maldonado and gave him no room. Hamilton should think big picture. I doubt most others would have forced him off the line like that.
Hammy has been great this yr and has shown a lot of maturity. I think he was frustrated because he was going to lose a podium position and once again the team let him down in the pits.
hammy has a good measure on his teammate and maybe losing to Button last yr taught him some humility. He has the right approach but sometimes defaults back to his old ways.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Lol, I'm glad they asked MS for his opinion also. I think the Yellow flag was opportune for him as I think MW had a shot at the podium. Having said that, I recognise that both were only there due to other's failures. I was also happy for MS on behalf of the older brigade and you could see that he was genuinely chuffed to be back up there. You can imagine that this guy has a hell of a lot of pride and regaining a bit of extra respect back is always a good feeling.
Asking a driver into a stewarts meeting is standard practice. They also ask a team for telemetry for speed and throttle position/brake positions etc. Not uncommon.

Webber definitely had the faster car and on any other track would have probably got by MS, but they were passing cars left and right with their fresher tires and it was difficult. In the end, it ended up working out for both of them as MS gets a long awaited podium and Webber sits 2nd in the WDC points.

RE; Maldonado: Without the benefit of knowing what was said about off track excursions in the pre-race drivers meeting, if he had to do it all over again, he would probably choose to go 4 wheels off on the pavement and get by Hamilton that way. IF the stewarts asked for the position back, he could give it back, but the arguement would be that Hamiton left him no racing room and he was forced to go 4 wheels off to avoid contact.

Some say Maldonado could have waited, but not only were they down to 1 or 2 laps left, but Schuamacher and Webber were cutting through the field with fresher tires and he had little time to wait.

Conversely, if asked, I think Hamilton would have played it much different as well and conceded the position to consolidate a strong points finish rather than risk a DNF. Hamilton has driven very well and smart up to this point. He reverted back to his old was in this race, but I wouldn't expect him to repeat that.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First:
...Call it for what it is, great driving with some luck...
Then:
Finally got to see the race. Until now, I had to rely on results...
Good stuff Raj...
Why watch the race when you can rate Alonso's drive just by looking at the results...?

Yes, it's illegal and there should be an investigation but since it's Ferrari, have no fear, all is good.
Also, stopping and picking the flag is against the rules but IIRC, didn't Hamilton do that in Canada with no penalties or whatever. IMO it's a silly rule anyway, I mean how much unsafe it is when compared to all flag guys standing right by the track after the race?

Quick Reply: 2012 European Grand Prix (Valencia)