2012 European Grand Prix (Valencia)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Boring?? Not sure what race you were watching? Nascar perhaps?

snip!
Reading and sarcasm comprehension fail!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Pete, who would you cast to play Alonzo?
(yes this is a volleyball set -- who's gonna spike it????)
In years past, this question alone would have added 4 pages to this thread. My daughter saw the race and said that all her favorite drivers (besides Senna) were represented on the podium yesterday and all were or will be WDC for Ferrari, so I'll have to give Alonso amnesty this week....

As 9.5 degrees said, Since joining Ferrari, Alonso has been a good citizen with no more off track transgretions, no matter if the car is good or bad. He seems to be "at home" with this team and probably where he will finish out his days as an F1 driver.

What my magic 8 ball says is that the future will really dictate what Alonso does and reveal his true character. Is he really going to help the team by selecting a #2 driver that is faster than Massa and closer to his speed, or will he pick a very slow driver to not challenge his position. He clearly is the #1, has said publically that he will help decide who the #2 is in the future and to truly help Ferrari in the WCC, they need a 2nd driver to bring in the points -- because right now, Alonso sits atop the WDC, but with Massa sucking so badly, they sit 4th in WCC.

An established #2 like Webber would fit PERFECTLY and get those valuable points. Hamilton and Vettel are too much of a threat to FA.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dude, good grief...get over yourself & your anger.
Please post away...
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B
That said, I think they BOTH did not show good judgment. It was always going to be dicey once Lewis ran Maldonado so wide (off the track) on the first corner. At the end of the day, it seemed pretty clear that Hamilton’s tires were done and the best he was going to do was delay the inevitable a corner or two. It was the wrong time to race so aggressively IMO (this goes for both of them, although I think Hamilton had far more to lose).
Well said.

Regardless of who we each think was at fault this time, I doubt there's anyone without a British accent that doesn't think Hamilton let the red mist take over & showed terrible judgement. Again.

Although he clearly has awesome talent, Hamilton's weakness is the inability to manage a race & season. Yet another prime example here.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
What my magic 8 ball says is that the future will really dictate what Alonso does and reveal his true character. (door #1) Is he really going to help the team by selecting a #2 driver that is faster than Massa and closer to his speed, or (door #2) will he pick a very slow driver to not challenge his position. He clearly is the #1, has said publically that he will help decide who the #2 is in the future and to truly help Ferrari in the WCC, they need a 2nd driver to bring in the points -- because right now, Alonso sits atop the WDC, but with Massa sucking so badly, they sit 4th in WCC.
I'm guessing it will be door number two Montey

Hamilton and Vettel are too much of a threat to FA.
History has proven he can't match up against Lewis and there is no way he's going to want to play second fiddle to Vettel.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Hamilton was under investigation for passing under yellow. What ever happened with that? Can't find anything about penalties or no penalties etc. Did they just let it go because he had a DNF?
MS also used DRS under Yellow. Nothing said about that.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Reading and sarcasm comprehension fail!
Yeah I know I know. I actually meant to write my first line in italics as sarcasm too but I'm not sure if that means the same on this forum? Everything seemed to fall into place to make that one of the best races this year.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
MS also used DRS under Yellow. Nothing said about that.
Is there a rule against that? As long as his sector time through the yellow flag area is not faster than prior laps does DRS matter?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In years past, this question alone would have added 4 pages to this thread. My daughter saw the race and said that all her favorite drivers (besides Senna) were represented on the podium yesterday and all were or will be WDC for Ferrari, so I'll have to give Alonso amnesty this week....

As 9.5 degrees said, Since joining Ferrari, Alonso has been a good citizen with no more off track transgretions, no matter if the car is good or bad. He seems to be "at home" with this team and probably where he will finish out his days as an F1 driver.

What my magic 8 ball says is that the future will really dictate what Alonso does and reveal his true character. Is he really going to help the team by selecting a #2 driver that is faster than Massa and closer to his speed, or will he pick a very slow driver to not challenge his position. He clearly is the #1, has said publically that he will help decide who the #2 is in the future and to truly help Ferrari in the WCC, they need a 2nd driver to bring in the points -- because right now, Alonso sits atop the WDC, but with Massa sucking so badly, they sit 4th in WCC.

An established #2 like Webber would fit PERFECTLY and get those valuable points. Hamilton and Vettel are too much of a threat to FA.
Pete - As always extremely well said and thought out. I am watching the race tonight so I have no comment on this particular race.

What I do have a comment on is that Alonso's alleged past misbehavior is up for debate but the reality is he has been a true gentlemen since arriving at Ferrari and Ferrari seems to be giving him the home he was looking for. I also agree that until he wins a Championship with the prancing horse (which he almost did in his first year) he will not silence his critics, so it is a must. But as he is very fast, consistent and opportunistic he may just pull it off in a turbulent year such as this.

Regarding the #2 spot at Ferrari I think people are spending too much time on Alonso's opinion and not enough on Seb and Hammy's. If I am Hamilton I am staying put at McLaren why on earth leave the top spot at one of the best teams ever to play second fiddle to Alonso at Ferrari and I have the same exact opinion of Vettel. It's not like Ferrari's engineers have produced the perfect car, McLaren and RedBull have had better cars for at least three years. I think they would be stupid to leave their respective teams and Ferrari would be stupid to create unneccessary friction. I think they should bring a young gun who they can mold and Perez is the perfect choice, with Di Resta and Grosjean good ideas as well. If Sauber does not want to give Perez up until 2014 then Webber is a great choice as the interim.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Alonso should feel better since Mr Freeloader thinks he drove well today. I am sure he really appreciates it. Too bad he couldn't drive to your liking so far until now...
Were you bullied as a child and now that the internet exists, it has given you a venue to show your anger in the safety of the anonymity that the internet provides? What I am about to say is not for your consumption (as I am sure it will not be good enough for you). No what I am about to say is for everyone else.

Yes I am still not a paying member of rennlist (for which Raj and Raj alone continues to feel the need to post about every week). I am not poor, but I am not rich either. I work in a industry that tends NOT to employ people as full time workers. Why would they? An organization needs a product built. They bring people like myself in to do the job and once the product is built I move on to the next organization (BTW I am not a construction worker). Anyway I am constantly having to think about "saving for my next rainy day" because that is just the reality of my world where job loss is the rule not the exception. Count yourself lucky if you have and always have had a steady income (oh and trust me this is not a jealousy issue. Another person's wealth is none of my business). On top of all of this, I work in an industry that practices age discrimination and that has been greatly effected by the turbulent and ever changing global economy. Back when securing my next contract was easy because I was younger and because the economy was doing well, I was pretty loose with my expenses. But as I age in this ever changing world, I now find myself trying to be disciplined in controlling my spending.

Yes a rennlist membership will not break the bank. But you have a membership here and a membership there and before you know it, all the hobbies we may be interested in and require memberships for, add up and you are spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars every year. I do believe I understand why rennlist memberships exist and if I was running around in all the various forums making posts seeking advice on how to mod a Porsche, seeking advice on a purchase, etc, etc, etc ... well then maybe you would have a point about this "Freeloader" crap you continue to spew. But 90-95% of the posts I have ever made on this site are simply posts talking about F1 race results. For crying out loud we are talking about F1 races here, nothing more. You need to stop taking all this crap so personal all because you cheer for one driver and I cheer for his rival. The animosity between some fans of F1 is ten times worst the any animosity between the drivers and their teams. Sure Lewis Hamilton is not on Massa's or Maldonado's Christmas Card list any more. But most of the drivers respect each other and most of the drivers congratulate their rivals when their rivals do well.

If a rennlist moderator wants to ban me because I still am not a rennlist member for the 90-95% of F1 race result posts I have made on this site, well that is their prerogative. It may be life and death for the real world F1 drivers, but for us fans it's just a race and we really should not be taking this stuff personal. It's only the internet. It's not life.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Were you bullied as a child and now that the internet exists, it has given you a venue to show your anger in the safety of the anonymity that the internet provides? What I am about to say is not for your consumption (as I am sure it will not be good enough for you). No what I am about to say is for everyone else.

Yes I am still not a paying member of rennlist (for which Raj and Raj alone continues to feel the need to post about every week). I am not poor, but I am not rich either. I work in a industry that tends NOT to employ people as full time workers. Why would they? An organization needs a product built. They bring people like myself in to do the job and once the product is built I move on to the next organization (BTW I am not a construction worker). Anyway I am constantly having to think about "saving for my next rainy day" because that is just the reality of my world where job loss is the rule not the exception. Count yourself lucky if you have and always have had a steady income (oh and trust me this is not a jealousy issue. Another person's wealth is none of my business). On top of all of this, I work in an industry that practices age discrimination and that has been greatly effected by the turbulent and ever changing global economy. Back when securing my next contract was easy because I was younger and because the economy was doing well, I was pretty loose with my expenses. But as I age in this ever changing world, I now find myself trying to be disciplined in controlling my spending.

Yes a rennlist membership will not break the bank. But you have a membership here and a membership there and before you know it, all the hobbies we may be interested in and require memberships for, add up and you are spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars every year. I do believe I understand why rennlist memberships exist and if I was running around in all the various forums making posts seeking advice on how to mod a Porsche, seeking advice on a purchase, etc, etc, etc ... well then maybe you would have a point about this "Freeloader" crap you continue to spew. But 90-95% of the posts I have ever made on this site are simply posts talking about F1 race results. For crying out loud we are talking about F1 races here, nothing more. You need to stop taking all this crap so personal all because you cheer for one driver and I cheer for his rival. The animosity between some fans of F1 is ten times worst the any animosity between the drivers and their teams. Sure Lewis Hamilton is not on Massa's or Maldonado's Christmas Card list any more. But most of the drivers respect each other and most of the drivers congratulate their rivals when their rivals do well.

If a rennlist moderator wants to ban me because I still am not a rennlist member for the 90-95% of F1 race result posts I have made on this site, well that is their prerogative. It may be life and death for the real world F1 drivers, but for us fans it's just a race and we really should not be taking this stuff personal. It's only the internet. It's not life.

How about this. I will wager you. Your choice of driver against mine. You win, I pay for your membership, you lose you pay.
It is too easy for someone to take this "save for a rainy day route". I guess the rest of us are made of $$ and have plenty to throw. I have supported Rennlist through yrs even when I was laid off. Didn't want to use it as an excuse. As a paid member, I do have an issue with someone who is active on a board and gets plenty in return but is not willing to chip in. It's the non paid members like you that cause delays on rennlist. If only everyone paid, the $$ to make the service better.
Sorry, if you have the $$ to drive a 993, you can definitely afford a membership. No sympathy for you my friend...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by agdamis
It's not like Ferrari's engineers have produced the perfect car, McLaren and RedBull have had better cars for at least three years.
This has been a wacky year where so far there is no perfect car. If there was then Vettel or Grosjean would not have been forced to retire from yesterday's race. In Montreal Hamilton was the man to beat once the first pit stops were made. Vettel and Alonso had no real answer for him. The only reason why Fernado was in the lead late in the race was because McLaren knew Hamilton's tires would not last and made the decision early to pit Lewis. Red Bull took longer to realize that Vettel also needed to pit, but they did recognize it. For some reason Ferrari thought they could keep Alonso out there and they paid the price for their mistake. Of course a number of drivers like Grosjean and Perez did make the one stopper work. But Grosjean and Perez weren't battling Hamilton and Vettel throughout the entire race. Then in yesterday's race Vettel looked unbeatable while Grosjean was also looking strong. Of course nothing can be taken away from Alonso for working his way up the field from where he started. He drove an aggressive but error free race. Hamilton on the other hand struggled throughout much of the race. In one race he went from being a world beater to someone who was barely hanging on with the race leaders. If anything Ferrari is proving to be most reliable race car so far this season while their chief rivals go from being world beaters in one race and in the next race struggle for grip or break down. We know Alonso is a talented race car driver and maybe what we are seeing is a combination of Alonso doing well now that he has good equipment, and maybe it is just time to put Felipe Massa out to pasture (possibly Button too if he can't turn things around).

Last edited by My993C2; 06-25-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

How about this. I will wager you. Your choice of driver against mine. You win, I pay for your membership, you lose you pay.
Not necessary, a rennlist membership will not break the bank. But if I take out a membership, does that mean I get to act like an *******? or is acting like an ******* unrelated to membership? I am guessing that it is unrelated as I see plenty of members here who do not take F1 race results personally. They just accept the result as is, whether or not their preferred driver won or lost.

As I said 90-95% of the posts I have ever made here on this site are restricted to talking about F1 race results. I never thought I would see the day when someone demanded I paid money to talk about F1 races. Like I said, if I was actively seeking advice on how to mod a Porsche or actively seeking advice on purchasing products, well then maybe I would see your point. But we are talking about F1 races here. Nothing more, nothing less. You are the only one who appears to take exception to my presence here. The fact that you continue to make a big deal out of it says a lot more about your character than anything else. Like I said earlier, were you bullied as a child and now it is time for revenge?

I will leave this up to the rest of the F1 rennlist fans. If the people around here feel strongly that I should take out a membership to talk about F1 races, then I will do it. One thing I like about this site is that there are real world race car drivers that occasionally talk about the F1 races. Most of the other places I go are made up of just regular fans.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Great race.

Excellent drive by Alonso but a lucky win; Seb likely done in by a lowly alternator. Better to be lucky than good...

Another mature drive by Hamilton.

Just a matter of time for Kimi.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So I was right, you will be crying yourself to sleep. That was the best you could come up with? lol
Everyone in front of Alonso decided to move out of his way. That is how me FGL28 saw it.
So you gonna bet or what??
I did not cry myself to sleep. As I said before he was lucky.
There are what 11 races left? Crow when she wins WDC. I just want it decided in Austin.
Yes, that is how these people roll. Pure cowards. They hide when Alonso is doing well and come out in bunches when he is not. I am sure they are having their conf calls as we speak. I hear crickets, lol.
Your have a chip on your shoulder against those who see the true Alonso. We show up regardless of how She does.

Quick Reply: 2012 European Grand Prix (Valencia)