Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Tranny. Dodge has the weakest tranny out of the big 3's diesels. The Cummins engine is fantastic but what it is attached too is not on par with it.
Well, it's definitely not an Allison, but my friend managed to do 140K on a 2002 Dodge miles before it failed. That was towing a 48ft steel trailer with 2 cars in.

That aint bad. And the engine is a gem.

c.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Tranny. Dodge has the weakest tranny out of the big 3's diesels. The Cummins engine is fantastic but what it is attached too is not on par with it.
Can't you still get a manual transmission with the Dodge? if so, get it!!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

VR is correct a manual is still an option. I'm new on the cummins boards learning everything I can, being a new ram 2500 diesel owner, and they are not having any issues with the auto tranny. Dodge has issues but the tranny does not seem to be one of them. Deletes and reverse deletes are so easy on the Rams and it dramatically jumps the MPG. Ford and Chevy are not as easy or I could not find easy ways around them. Just running too low on DEF on the Ford or Chevy will put you in undriveable limp mode. DEF refill every oil change per 5000miles some say up to 1 gal per tankfull for diesel! I can never get the straight dope on DEF so I just avoided it with the Ram and could not be happier. I used to tow with a chevy suburban 8.1L race a chevy corvette and have an additional $3000 off any GM vehicle through GM creditcard points and that was still not good enough to make me want to deal with DEF.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 23K miles worth of expereince with DEF in the duramax is that I get it topped off at oil changes every 5K miles

I did purposely run it low to experience the warning on the dash... and the first warning I noticed was an alert that said in effect "900 miles of DEF remaining"... plenty of time to react so to speak.

Since then, as I mentioned, just top it up at oil changes... It does not bother me. It certainly is not reason enough to go another route IF that is your only reason. At least in my opinion it is not. the DEF is not expensive... however in my neighborhood diesel is closing in on $4.70 per gallon
:-(

I believe the GM def tank holds roughly 6 gallons -- the 1 gallon of def per tank of diesel is not even close in my experience. My truck is a DD with mixed highway and city. I think I am getting 3 or 4 gallons of def with every oil change at 5K intervals.

I sell industrial equipment and virtually all of it is running DEF (including cummins powered units) and it really is a non issue once you expereince it. it gets low and you top it up... it is that simple... even I can do it and that is saying something
Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This would be so much easier if I had some brand loyalty. I've always kind of liked GM, but both dealers are local, and I don't mind the DEF.

Even money gets me either a GMC 2500 Crew SLE Cloth Duramax, which is more on the basic side... or a... Ram 2500 Crew Laramie Leather etc. Cummins, which is pretty well decked out

As a reference, used Rams on Auto Trader seem to go for ~$7500 less than the GMs
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by FFaust
This would be so much easier if I had some brand loyalty. I've always kind of liked GM, but both dealers are local, and I don't mind the DEF.

Even money gets me either a GMC 2500 Crew SLE Cloth Duramax, which is more on the basic side... or a... Ram 2500 Crew Laramie Leather etc. Cummins, which is pretty well decked out

As a reference, used Rams on Auto Trader seem to go for ~$7500 less than the GMs
My last truck was an 05' Dodge SRW 3500. Great truck. I flogged the hell out of it (boosted 4x4 launches, etc.), towed a 33' offshore boat regularly, lots of short trips, etc. Never had a problem with it (other than non-OEM parts) and sold it with just shy of 99K.

I stopped being brand loyal when GM forced me to lemon law an 2500 HD claiming the Harley inspired steering wheel vibration was normal due to "frame flex". When it comes time to replace the current F250, I'll look at all three again and buy whichever is the best overall value at that time.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend with a Ram 2500 bought it third- or fourth-hand, drove it another 100K till it dropped (literally on the freeway, the trans puked its transfer case) so he called a roadside diesel truck service company (long haul freighters don't take the down time to go to a shop, they get full service roadside while the driver sleeps) and he had the transmission and transaxle swapped out for a refurb and whatever other "while you're in there" right where it dropped dead. If you do have a tow vehicle failure, logistics can be brutal with a trailer and expensive equipment not well secured, so I'd share the roadside service as perhaps being a real lifesaver if you're in range of replacement parts, etc.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the Dodge trans unless it was a tow truck or commercial application where perhaps Allison would be the deciding factor. If I was going to run a stacker 5th wheel behind a dually, I'd be more concerned about the transmission.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
A friend with a Ram 2500 bought it third- or fourth-hand, drove it another 100K till it dropped (literally on the freeway, the trans puked its transfer case) so he called a roadside diesel truck service company (long haul freighters don't take the down time to go to a shop, they get full service roadside while the driver sleeps) and he had the transmission and transaxle swapped out for a refurb and whatever other "while you're in there" right where it dropped dead. If you do have a tow vehicle failure, logistics can be brutal with a trailer and expensive equipment not well secured, so I'd share the roadside service as perhaps being a real lifesaver if you're in range of replacement parts, etc.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the Dodge trans unless it was a tow truck or commercial application where perhaps Allison would be the deciding factor. If I was going to run a stacker 5th wheel behind a dually, I'd be more concerned about the transmission.
That sounds like an interesting job. Change the transmission on the side of the road.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
my 23K miles worth of expereince with DEF in the duramax is that I get it topped off at oil changes every 5K miles
Also DEF in bulk at the Pilot, etc truck stops are like $2.50/gal. About half the price of your local Advance Autos.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Purdy: https://detailersdomain.com/Eric-Won...rep_b_319.html

I used to have a 2005 6.0 Ford F350. If you want a 6.0, youre gambling. All fine and dandy until it breaks down towing home from MidOhio, then you need to wait 4 hours for tow trucks to come that can take both the truck and trailer. Then you have to call up good buddies in the Columbus area to come pick you up from Ford of Mansfield. Then fly home, then back to get truck... all on your own dime and Ford wouldnt take up nothing. Fortunately I was still under extended warranty and the turbo that blew was JUST put in by another Ford dealer. I ditched that truck and got a 2011 Denali 3500 DRW.

Not sure why everyone says the new trucks require so much maintenance. If refilling DEF is a pain in the *** to a car guy, something is wrong. I get 10-13MPG in the city empty, 10-11MPG towing either a 24' or 44' trailer and I can get 18-20MPG on highway.

New truck is way quieter, and rides way nicer. Not sure Id ever go to a gasser unless I was towing an open trailer. That or unless you never plan on towing through mountains. The interior of the new GMs are dated, but they should have a new truck coming in 2013.

Also, all the HPHP issues seem to be from Ford's 6.7L. I havent heard one report yet of it failing on GM's trucks even though they are both made by Bosch.
u got PM
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well after going off topic earlier, I figured that it was probably ok to do a thread revival to close the loop, and to thank you guys for the help.

In the end, it was $4000 less than a similarly equipped GM, got me a front bench....... and a heated steering wheel
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:03 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!
You got the best color as well
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Nice. That straight six pulls great even from down low.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Well done.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?