Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I washed it today, maybe i'll keep it...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a 2006 Avalanche 2500 8.1L this winter. 3year bumper to bumper no deductible warranty. Leather, heated seats, dvd, etc...have not towed with it yet, but thats basically its only purpose as its a dual purpose vehicle but it will most be used for towing a 24' enclosed. Ended up using it quite a bit this winter, 14-15mpg highway, not too bad for a 8.1L..37.5gal tank!. Avalanche config has come in handy so far, happy with my choice. I did not want to spent the extra 15k for a similarly equipped diesel...plus with diesel not always available in all areas, and diesel price high, pretty happy so far.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
NOOOOO. I would also not get one of the new urea injection diesels. I have an 09 Duramax and it does the regen crap but still gets 18-19 on the hwy solo and 12-14 towing 8K-5K. My buddies brand new '12 Ford gets 9mpg int he city . . . I get 12.5-13.5 city driving.

Find a nice 09-10 Duramax. The depreciation hit has happened so that is your best bet!!!
Do the 2011-12 models have parts that people will remove/alter after the warranty is up that will improve the mileage?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Do the 2011-12 models have parts that people will remove/alter after the warranty is up that will improve the mileage?
Yes. The biofuel forum sites talk about getting these engines to run well on plant oil. I believe the Cummins in the Dodge is the only engine with no exhaust liquid additive (Urea) so it might be a tiny bit less ridiculous.

In California, upset about potential energy tax revenue losses, the DMV has implemented a visual inspection of diesel engines (at cost to the tax payer to pay for this inspection, I think every two years.) it's absurd, single the gross pollution of all diesels is particulate carcinogens, so there's no truth in saying this helps with safety and the diesel is not tested for efficiency or emissions, so there's no pretense of the inspection being about emissions, it's just a matter of tracking all these vehicles to ensure they're not visibly altered to operate on untaxed fuel (bio fuels can be made at home safely and relatively cheaply and conveniently, especially by fleet operators of things like delivery trucks where their main cost of fuel and fuel taxes.)

I find it utterly abhorrent that the government actively taxes and penalizes people trying to reduce their pollution output and avoid the use of non-renewable fuels -- the taxes demand people continue to use fossil fuel oil products. Corruption in plain light of day.

As the government falls deeper into its own debt spiral, we have to expect the retroactive law rewriting will only make efficient, less-refined fuels subject to increasingly stringent deterrents for consumers. Costs such as the exhaust additive liquid are born from science or engineering, just product design agreements between auto makers and oil companies to create recurring consumer costs. This is a simple liquid, cheap as water, but charged out to new vehicle owners at astronomical prices (I think $150 for 10 gallons in a Mercedes was my last bill ... )

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ing-expensive/
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I washed it today, maybe i'll keep it...
Good.

There seems to be a lot of 3/4 ton diesels left on lots as a result of the mild winter. Might be some better deals in a couple of months if you are so inclined.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glossary of terms on new emission motors: DPF--diesel particulate filter, DEF--diesel exhaust fluid, SCR--selective catalytic reduction.

The cliff notes description of the new technology (Ford & Chevy motors) is the manufactures reduced the EGR making the motor "dirty" again and cleaning it from the back side via the DPF & SCR system.

The reduction of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) has reduced temps and RPM's. Reduced temps=increased motor life. Reduced RPM's increases the fuel economy.

Yes, there are more things hanging on the truck which will increase maintenance costs.

Overall the new motors are a big improvement over the advanced EGR motors (2004 thru 2007).
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Spent the week shopping to upgrade the GMC 1500, and read the whole thread in search of positive reinforcement... got it, and it's going to be a Duramax. Now on to the real challenge, picking a colour.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White is the fastest (like Porsches) and gets the best mileage, followed by black and then red

Just so you know

:-)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,694 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Spent the week shopping to upgrade the GMC 1500, and read the whole thread in search of positive reinforcement... got it, and it's going to be a Duramax. Now on to the real challenge, picking a colour.
1. good choice on duramax/allison
2. if you are lazy, silver/white, if you are half *** lazy, the new mocha is wonderful color and rare. if you want to be manly, then carbon black.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Nah, Green is the new Black...
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
1. good choice on duramax/allison
2. if you are lazy, silver/white, if you are half *** lazy, the new mocha is wonderful color and rare. if you want to be manly, then carbon black.
You're going to need some additional support for your new gooseneck trailer. Options are additional rear leaf spring, Timbren extended bump stops (I have), or air bags. Start studying.....
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You're going to need some additional support for your new gooseneck trailer. Options are additional rear leaf spring, Timbren extended bump stops (I have), or air bags. Start studying.....
I assume that was meant for Mooty, but I appreciate the input as well. One of my reasons for the diesel is, "in case I get a goose/5th wheel". The way things have been going, I can see that happening.

Regarding colours, it's tough because we can't order 2012 anymore, so I have the hunt one down that has all the right stuff. Lots of whites and blacks.

Currently have white, love it, and might go back.
Black is the best... when clean. But I'm not sure I'm up to it
Dark Blue would be different
Mocha is nice indeed, and would match the trailer
Also like Silver

You guys are killing me with your $52k Denalis. A cloth SLE here is $56k post-discount, $65k pre Of course, that's diesel, so an extra $10k

Guess it's not a thread hijack if everything has been said on the OT already
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Nah, Green is the new Black...
Cleans up nice, keep it
Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Cleans up nice, keep it
LOL!
That was the day I brought it home!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice mirrors.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?