Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
So now Ford and BMW are out!
this
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
The bill was $11K, FMC won't even talk about warranty repair, my insurance company paid, but most won't cover bad fuel. The new diesels require pristine fuel and have no tolerance for reduced lubricity, they won't just run rough thru bad diesel, they die by it. I'm not the only one, there's an NHTSA study going on.
They won't cover a 2012? WTF? How are you supposed to know what quality fuel goes in it when you're standing at the pump?

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
Now have a 6.0 2012 2500. Fabulous, strong and luxurious...does not have the lazy low end grunt of the 8.1 or a diesel, but just towed to Atlanta, and only in the mountains did I miss the low end torque. Go gas and put the savings into the race car. Maintenance cost savings alone will offset the gas cost.
Kevin is that the 2500 Suburban in your signature or pickup? What are you towing with it?

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
I replaced it with a 2011 with a 3.73 gear (4.11 NLA) and it gets less than 7 mpg towing the same rig. Fast or slow, tow mode or no, the mileage sucks. I have to give Chevy a call and see if they can reprogram something as this is ridiculous, it would be cheaper to have my car shipped to the track.
Wow Frank that does suck.

Just priced out a "Platinum" F150 with Ecoboost and crew cab (max tow 9,300), by the time I was done it was close to $52K! As that is in 2500 Denali range i'm going to stay with full size and GM (as full size Ford trucks ride like... trucks)... and i'm in mine about 2 hours every day.
Do you need a pickup for your job? Could you just get a daily driver of your choice and keep the Duramax for towing? You could get a really nice car for what you're talking about spending on a new truck.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Do you need a pickup for your job? Could you just get a daily driver of your choice and keep the Duramax for towing? You could get a really nice car for what you're talking about spending on a new truck.
I have an 08 335i twin turbo hardtop/convertible to tool around in, building a 911 longnose Hot Rod for play, just want one vehicle to do daily driver duty and tow (without drama) when I need it. I want comfort and some luxury at the same time so that's where I am...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Yes, towing gas mileage is horrendous. I had a 2000 Suburban 2500 with a 4.11 gear that got 10 mpg towing a 24 foot lightly loaded (6,000#) enclosed trailer. I replaced it with a 2011 with a 3.73 gear (4.11 NLA) and it gets less than 7 mpg towing the same rig. Fast or slow, tow mode or no, the mileage sucks. I have to give Chevy a call and see if they can reprogram something as this is ridiculous, it would be cheaper to have my car shipped to the track.
I have a 5.3L 2011 and it had a problem with the fuel type reading. The dealer found it and reprogrammed the whole thing. It nows runs smoother and I saved about 2mpg. Better than nothing, but not as much as I thought it would be. I average 17mpg on a weekly basis. Sometimes 18. Down to 12 when I tow (7200lbs enclosed trailer). My second Dodge (2011) was better with the fuel milleage and power. But the rear suspension was not up to the task.

c.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Just priced out a "Platinum" F150 with Ecoboost and crew cab (max tow 9,300), by the time I was done it was close to $52K! As that is in 2500 Denali range i'm going to stay with full size and GM (as full size Ford trucks ride like... trucks)... and i'm in mine about 2 hours every day.
52k for a tow truck? When you can buy 12k tow rating 2500 Suburbans and Yukon XLs for 10k every day? Just to have a new truck? Really?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I have a 5.3L 2011 and it had a problem with the fuel type reading. The dealer found it and reprogrammed the whole thing. It nows runs smoother and I saved about 2mpg. Better than nothing, but not as much as I thought it would be. I average 17mpg on a weekly basis. Sometimes 18. Down to 12 when I tow (7200lbs enclosed trailer). My second Dodge (2011) was better with the fuel milleage and power. But the rear suspension was not up to the task.

c.
You tow a 7200 lb enclosed trailer with a 5.3L 1500 Suburban and get 12mpg? What kind of trailer? V nose? How long?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I have an 08 335i twin turbo hardtop/convertible to tool around in, building a 911 longnose Hot Rod for play, just want one vehicle to do daily driver duty and tow (without drama) when I need it. I want comfort and some luxury at the same time so that's where I am...
And you tow to where? LRP, WG, NJMP, and Summit? The current gas GM 2500 is rated to tow 14400 and while the towing mileage might be a little better with the diesel you'll never make up the $7K diesel price premium in fuel savings. Add to that all the extra maintenance and the gas truck looks like a better option. If you were towing heavy loads over huge mountain passes several times a year or wanted to tow a two car goose neck I could see going diesel but it just doesn't sound like you need it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BC
52k for a tow truck? When you can buy 12k tow rating 2500 Suburbans and Yukon XLs for 10k every day? Just to have a new truck? Really?
Sorry if that seems too extravagant to you, but my days in $10K daily driver vehicles are behind me.... but thanks for the intelligent input. You wouldn't be a "Prepper" would you?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
And you tow to where? LRP, WG, NJMP, and Summit? The current gas GM 2500 is rated to tow 14400 and while the towing mileage might be a little better with the diesel you'll never make up the $7K diesel price premium in fuel savings. Add to that all the extra maintenance and the gas truck looks like a better option. If you were towing heavy loads over huge mountain passes several times a year or wanted to tow a two car goose neck I could see going diesel but it just doesn't sound like you need it.
I agree Chris, don't need a diesel, just wanted to hear opinions about the new gas trucks from guys that have them (especially if they had a diesel before). Unfortunately I can't filter out useless noise from idiots that have nothing to add..
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Sorry if that seems too extravagant to you, but my days in $10K daily driver vehicles are behind me.... but thanks for the intelligent input. You wouldn't be a "Prepper" would you?
Prepper. Don't know what that is. Not extravagant. Maybe I was just balking that it was a ford. Doesn't matter how much money someone has- buying a new ford truck for 52k makes it a 25k throw away decision. Because that will be the resale in 4 years. The days of used tv sets "is behind me"- it doesn't mean that wasn't a better use of money.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately I can't filter out useless noise from idiots that have nothing to add..
And you post in an online forum? Funny. Yes, anyone that questions a 50k ford that amounts to a 1/4 ton frame and underpinnings attached to a twin turbo engine that will resale like a regular v6 has nothing to add. This is a technical forum. People around here know more than the average joe.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,694 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Just wash and wax your duramax more often......
just spent last 6 hours doing that.
clayed
polished
waxed

almost 80k now, bought new in 09
daily driver
still on orig pads.
nothing ever broke on it.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sean F
Your engine is a time bomb about to go off. The 6.0 engine is a crime.
What's the deal with your engine sean?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
Stirring the pot? Poking the hornets nest? Turning the screw? Sean's blood is already boiling.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by DanR
It's a 6.0h, which are complete junk despite the one poster who thinks preventative maintenance can keep them from imploding.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?