Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
LOL!
That was the day I brought it home!
you can tell because it doesn't snow here anymore
Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You're going to need some additional support for your new gooseneck trailer. Options are additional rear leaf spring, Timbren extended bump stops (I have), or air bags. Start studying.....
Is this because it's not a dually?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I assume that was meant for Mooty, but I appreciate the input as well.
Yes it was for John but judging by your photos you need additional support for your rear springs too. Your trailer appears to be about 2 inches lows in the front. Doesn't it fish tail with that setup?.....

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Is this because it's not a dually?
Dually's definitely have stronger springs and are perferable to single rear axels for spreading the load and stability. Extra wheels aside, 3/4 ton or 2500 HD's, especially the short wheelbase versions, just aren't built with strong enough springs to carry the heavy load of a 30ft tag or gooseneck. Looking at Mr. Faust's photos, besides the trailer not being close to level his trailer is not level either which unloads his front brakes affecting his ability to stop quickly. It will also chunk his front tires as the shocks are unloaded. Also look at his WDH is within inches of the ground. That should have more clearance for multiple reasons.....
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes it was for John but judging by your photos you need additional support for your rear springs too. Your trailer appears to be about 2 inches lows in the front. Doesn't it fish tail with that setup?.....
I was thinking the same thing, have you taken a tongue weight on that setup? The truck itself doesn't look too out of whack but even with the sway/load leveler (Reese Straight Line?) system the trailer is too low up front. If the truck isn't sagging and the tongue weight isn't way over maybe just raise the hitch up 2"? Other than that I would say get some adjustable air shocks back there.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks John and Gary. Really glad I posted the picture.

Picture was when I purchased and drove it back empty from Montreal to Toronto in the fall. Quickly threw the hitch on and drove home. Haven't yet driven with the car in there, but the truck squats quite a bit as is (with empty trailer), which is why I'm shopping for a 2500. Tongue jack runs out of travel when hooking up.

I have a Sherline scale and will use it to find the sweet spot for the car.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

WARNING: THREAD HI-JACK... sort of.

I know I said a Duramax above, but my GM sales guy was off today, so I test drove a Dodge as part of my due diligence. I liked it and found it drove real nice.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get a Ram???
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the truck squats quite a bit as is (with empty trailer), which is why I'm shopping for a 2500. Tongue jack runs out of travel when hooking up.
Airbags will solve the hitch load problem. Relatively cheap and certainly effective. Airlift is cost-effective, Kelderman is meant to be noticeably better, especially for handling unladen and ride quality. Some kits include a position sensor to automatically adjust the bag pressure.

As for Dodge Ram, there's pluses and minuses -- the Ram is durable, but aging and the new 2013 Ram arrives in September in 1500 (half ton) and so we can assume the 2500 heavy duty 3/4 ton will be soon, too. Cummins is well respected.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2013/ram_1500/
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because it does not have the duramax/allison powertrain
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I washed it today, maybe i'll keep it...
Purdy: https://detailersdomain.com/Eric-Won...rep_b_319.html

I used to have a 2005 6.0 Ford F350. If you want a 6.0, youre gambling. All fine and dandy until it breaks down towing home from MidOhio, then you need to wait 4 hours for tow trucks to come that can take both the truck and trailer. Then you have to call up good buddies in the Columbus area to come pick you up from Ford of Mansfield. Then fly home, then back to get truck... all on your own dime and Ford wouldnt take up nothing. Fortunately I was still under extended warranty and the turbo that blew was JUST put in by another Ford dealer. I ditched that truck and got a 2011 Denali 3500 DRW.

Not sure why everyone says the new trucks require so much maintenance. If refilling DEF is a pain in the *** to a car guy, something is wrong. I get 10-13MPG in the city empty, 10-11MPG towing either a 24' or 44' trailer and I can get 18-20MPG on highway.

New truck is way quieter, and rides way nicer. Not sure Id ever go to a gasser unless I was towing an open trailer. That or unless you never plan on towing through mountains. The interior of the new GMs are dated, but they should have a new truck coming in 2013.

Also, all the HPHP issues seem to be from Ford's 6.7L. I havent heard one report yet of it failing on GM's trucks even though they are both made by Bosch.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Mooty

That ^
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Purdy: https://detailersdomain.com/Eric-Won...rep_b_319.html

I used to have a 2005 6.0 Ford F350. If you want a 6.0, youre gambling. All fine and dandy until it breaks down towing home from MidOhio, then you need to wait 4 hours for tow trucks to come that can take both the truck and trailer. Then you have to call up good buddies in the Columbus area to come pick you up from Ford of Mansfield. Then fly home, then back to get truck... all on your own dime and Ford wouldnt take up nothing. Fortunately I was still under extended warranty and the turbo that blew was JUST put in by another Ford dealer. I ditched that truck and got a 2011 Denali 3500 DRW.

Not sure why everyone says the new trucks require so much maintenance. If refilling DEF is a pain in the *** to a car guy, something is wrong. I get 10-13MPG in the city empty, 10-11MPG towing either a 24' or 44' trailer and I can get 18-20MPG on highway.

New truck is way quieter, and rides way nicer. Not sure Id ever go to a gasser unless I was towing an open trailer. That or unless you never plan on towing through mountains. The interior of the new GMs are dated, but they should have a new truck coming in 2013.

Thats a great truck. Depending on budget, and if you, say, REALLY didn't like diesel, you could plan on putting turbos on the gasser to get over those mountains.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Mooty

That ^
+1 but you won't live with it around town........
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 but you won't live with it around town........
in DC, no. Suburbia, a ok
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

WARNING: THREAD HI-JACK... sort of.

I know I said a Duramax above, but my GM sales guy was off today, so I test drove a Dodge as part of my due diligence. I liked it and found it drove real nice.

Tranny. Dodge has the weakest tranny out of the big 3's diesels. The Cummins engine is fantastic but what it is attached too is not on par with it.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Got up at 04:30 to let the dog out and wasn't able to get back to sleep. Had GMC's,Dodges, Duramax', and Cummins' spinning around the room.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?