Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer took nearly 10K off my truck just for asking. BTW: Max Trailer Tow Pkg bumps the tow rating to 11,300 lbs.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks Paul, appreciate the input.. didn't see any other tow options, just the standard package it came with.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I did this analysis recently and landed on the setup Paul has. Problem is I hate Ford so much I'll never buy their products again.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LMAO, there is no defense for that. I hope that I don't end up hating Ford too. Fingers crossed, all is well so far.

Gary, you need to select the 3.73 rear end and then the Max Trailer Tow is available.

Originally Posted by Sean F
I did this analysis recently and landed on the setup Paul has. Problem is I hate Ford so much I'll never buy their products again.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Been toying with the same ideas lately..got a 26ft enclosed and the ml500 just cant do it with a car in it haha (great for open trailers though)
priced out new trucks...WTF...way to expensive...
sister has a horse farm and a 04 6.0 srw ford....was going to get the GMC 2500...really nice truck but for the price it was cheaper to stick with the ford by a long shot....
Did the EGR delete, head studs, pistons etc....runs bettter then before...gets around 14 towing 14-17 not...a little better when she towes her horse trailer but i just borrowed it this weekend.

I just bought a V10 excursion gasser and with the deal i got it was impossible not to.....mines not a daily driver so to spend the extra 5-10k on a diesel was stupid...the body will rust off before i see the diesel start saving me money...hopefully by the time the gasser gives up ill find a good alternative used for cheap (notice the cheap theme here)

but you cant say that you have a diesel.....

id look for the 11 gmc's....rode great, more torque then youll ever need and pretty sure it didnt have the urea BS..but i could be wrong..we were looking last year. rode great..understand the ford ride but i still love a ford 7.3...

Franks chevy got the worst mileage ive ever seen....that trip to road atlanta last year took like 5 gas stops for him and 2 or 3 for me (granted i had an open trailer but)

If you really want a nice ride...there is a company taking the new fords and will even do it with the gmc or a few other trucks.....and for a mere 35k they take an old excursion body and slap it on to it so you have a brand new excrusion with new interior etc but 800ftlbs...thats what i would go with...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The new GMC duramax diesels are really nice, the ride quality blows the older trucks away (gas and diesel), so much smoother. We tow a 20' stacker loaded with 2 911's and all the gear, no problems. My 2003 HD2500 with the 6 liter gas engine struggles to pull the same trailer with just one car in it.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Your engine is a time bomb about to go off. The 6.0 engine is a crime.
Once you start calling something a crime, you've let your emotions get in front of your reason. I agree that an unattended 6.0 will eventually turn into an expensive mistake. So it's a $60K truck with a $20K engine that needs $5K of preventative fortification. Even then, like any machine, it cannot be expected to operate at peak specifications indefinitely or without commensurate maintenance.

The 6.0 is what people do with it. Modify the programming or run it hard without maintenance (or addressing known weaknesses) and it will be an expensive mistake. The same is true of the transmission -- it might be "rated" to 27,500lb but run it in a tow truck with an aggressive, impatient driver with a lead foot and no regard for the machinery, every day for a year and rack up 50K or 100K hard miles and the transmission will become an annual replacement item. For every dozen owners of a 6.0, 11 of them have it in an F250 or heavier and do things like put in a chip programmer or leave the maintenance to minimum and as soon as the warranty is through, maintenance is slipshod.

My Excursion gets warmed up and cooled down, it gets serviced to every detail and every preventative measure (still it will coke up the turbo and inlet and the inlet side will crack, so I'm told, the EGR housing, the head bolts, all need updates. But I have a guy that keeps an eye on it and so far, so good. When I do the turbo (before 100K) I'll do the preventative work even if it's not apparently needed.

Now that I think about the maintenance on the X, I can recall the power steering ($1000) just recently failed and I broke a front axle a while back -- practically unheard of, but I was off-road with chains on all four stuck in deep snow ... and this is something I've been doing in the truck since day one. The sway bar drop links are junk, but I run stiffer (Hotchkiss) sways (about double the weight of the factory items) and use the X for property maintenance (it has a 10K winch and front bar, used for clearing land, pulling down dead trees and windfall, etc.) It's worked for a living. Plus towing a TPD tripple axle with a 911, tools and parts, well over 10K. And the half mile driveway to my house is as much as 16% grade. So I warm up and cool down thorougly and use low range 4WD instead of making the engine and trans take up the load.

I also put in a 100lbs of sound insulation to dull down the din of the engine and road NVH. But otherwise, it's pretty much stock and has survived reliably. I think the rear AC temp sensor failed once. I know the CEL came on due to the infamous EGR problem, which was warrantied at about 60K. Sunnyvale Ford has been good and reliable, Ford in Redwood City, not so much (and they were more expensive, slower and made mistakes that meant the car was a "come back" ...)

Some say it would be great to get a 2012 F250 delivered with the Allison trans and the Dodge/Cummins engine.

While I like the design (within reason) of the Toyotas, I dislike the reports from owner's complaining of poor build quality and horrific fuel consumption. Same for Nissan, which is a pity because they have the heralded Patrol in Australia, but not in the USA. I guess the Japanese makers have decided the US market wants the show pony pickups and don't think they can compete in the brand-loyalty of the heavy duty segment.

All three brands have elaborate video comparisons where each other brand comes out looking pretty woeful. The one comparison I really didn't like about the new F250 was when I think Chev, did a "test" where they loaded the suspension then jacked the car up on two wheels. The Chev could open the tail gate, no binding. The Ford actually crumpled the body. Ouch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ESiO_MFM#t=78s

Of course each maker seeks out their ideal conditions to win and finds the limits of their product where their competitor's product is the lesser. Maybe put another 200-500 lbs in the Chev and it crumples. Maybe take out 100 pounds and neither truck crumples. Ford goes on to show power and I think Dodge goes for fuel efficiency under their ideal conditions. Of the three, I like driving the Ford, I like the specs of the Chev (though it's tough on the eyes and the cabin is cheap and cheesy) and the Dodge is a clear third place being the oldest powertrain and chassis, dated cabin and generally unappealing except for the gas-engine-only Power Wagon, which has the cool disengage link on front sway, diff locks and factory wench. Not bad, but those are easy after-market upgrades and don't justify one vehicle over another.

By the way, these days I tow an all alloy trailer with a Benz GL diesel ... I'm getting soft. : )
Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That coming from a guy that just went from a Cayenne to a Hemi hooped up Jeep race SUV!!!
Don't you make fun of my tow vehicle now........capisci?

Last edited by BostonDMD; 04-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You ain't no Sabine there paisano...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You ain't no Sabine there paisano...
No...... but I got a new "shiny" tow vehicle.......
Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yes, you do...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Once you start calling something a crime, you've let your emotions get in front of your reason.
Actually I'm not and there are class action lawyers working on this as we speak. Do yourself a favor and do some research on the cooling system. Preventive measures and maintenance are meaningless unless you consider replacing the EGR cooler, Oil Cooler, Headstuds, Head Gaskets, Water Pump, Coolant (with non-oem non-silicant coolant), STC fitting, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring, etc., preventive. Happy to provide some links in PM if you're interested.

The 6.0 engine resulted in Ford walking away from a 30 year relationship with their engine supplier Navistar over $1B in warranty work on the 6.0 (that's just under warranty).

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/01...e-dispute.html
Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You sound a bit harsh there Mr. Meteorologist...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

You sound a bit harsh there Mr. Meteorologist...
A little? Can't stand it when an F'ing company won't stand by its product.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

So now Ford and BMW are out!

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?