Sponsored by:

hans device. first impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts
Default hans device. first impression

I just got my new 2010 helmet, (what a joke that we have to all buy new helmets to replace perfectly good equipment). got a 650 Hans device, as it is required in SCCA now, finally, but have been using a hutchens, which i think works a lot better, but thats what im asking

the hans device, uses the belts to hold it against your shoulders, thus compromising the fit of the belts across the shoulders.

what do you guys do to keep the belts on the "runners" of the hans? the little velcro straps seem to work ok, but in leaning forward, the belts move around a lot and seems to really make the teathering ability of the straps to the helmet move around a lot. I wonder of the movement in a violent crash could actually derail the belts from the hans.

how much tether distance do you use between the hans and the helmet. obviously, the more you shorten the distance, the rotational ability you can have to look side to side .

I guess it will take some time to get used to, but it sure doesnt look as safe as the hutchens device, that is unconfortable, but uses straps (like a parachute jumper set up) which is independent to the belt system.

thanks for the help and input.

Mark
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The HANS tethers I leave as comes from the factory. As for the belts I have no issues keeping them on the HANS. To keep them that way I have split ring collars I mounted on the cage to keep the belts from spreading. I keep this distance with in HANS specs.

I have been using mine for 5-6 years and I don't even know I have it on when racing.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Do you have a picture of your belt setup? The HANS system requirements are very specific and all the angles and distances of your belts may need to be adjusted for best results. Check HMSmotorsports.com.

FYI, if you are concerned about the HANS falling off even after adjusting the angles / distances of your belts:

1) 2 to 3" shoulder belts seem to fit on the HANS a little better, but not that these shoulder belts cannot be used w/o a HANS.

2) Schroth USA (http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...profi/profi-ii) carries a double shoulder belt, the Profi II-Y. 3" belts directly over the shoulders and another set of 2" belts over the HANS to keep it in place. There must be some level of concern about the HANS staying in place, otherwise this belt would not have been made.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
The HANS tethers I leave as comes from the factory. As for the belts I have no issues keeping them on the HANS. To keep them that way I have split ring collars I mounted on the cage to keep the belts from spreading. I keep this distance with in HANS specs.

I have been using mine for 5-6 years and I don't even know I have it on when racing.
a split ring on the belts behind the seat, but in front of the lateral bar? i guess the seat openings are not guidance enough.

Im sure it will be fine, but it sure looks like it is a messy fit right now . with the importance of the belts hanging over the shoulder guides , you would think there would be a lip or something to keep the belts from falling to the sides, or a more formal technique to keep the belts together on your chest.
I mean, if i just bolted myself in with the hans, i could almost gurantee that the belts would be sliding off the shoulders by the end of a race at sears!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
Do you have a picture of your belt setup? The HANS system requirements are very specific and all the angles and distances of your belts may need to be adjusted for best results. Check HMSmotorsports.com.

FYI, if you are concerned about the HANS falling off even after adjusting the angles / distances of your belts:

1) 2 to 3" shoulder belts seem to fit on the HANS a little better, but not that these shoulder belts cannot be used w/o a HANS.

2) Schroth USA (http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...profi/profi-ii) carries a double shoulder belt, the Profi II-Y. 3" belts directly over the shoulders and another set of 2" belts over the HANS to keep it in place. There must be some level of concern about the HANS staying in place, otherwise this belt would not have been made.

g]
Thanks. Yes, its strange that there is an actual product to insure the placement of the belts. the entire system, just doesnt feel right , or anywhere near as solid as the hutchens. there is nothing keeping the belts from staying on the raised area of the hans. I really cant imagine they could stay in place without some type of security system to hold the belts together, either from the rear or the chest area. even the forward movemnt when you simulate a frontal impact, seem to allow forward body movement, because the belts slide as you press forwared. I like being locked into place as you are with belts that are directly on your shoulders with pads, with the hans, you feel a little less secure. maybe thats why everyone has containment seats now!

Ill review the instruction sheets again and see if im missing something.
thanks for the feedback. (and the link)
Mark
Old 03-11-2012, 03:19 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from personal experience, when set up correctly, the HANS works
collars on the bar to which the shoulder straps are anchored is important
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

You're missing something.

If the belts are installed properly...at the correct angles vertically and horizontally....the Hans Device will fit securely and feel secure.

From what I have seen, the 2"/3" shoulder belt setups work best but the 3" shoulder belt system work just fine. The shoulder belts need to come from slightly below and slightly from the inside...like the instructions say.

Scott
Old 03-11-2012, 03:33 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
You're missing something.

If the belts are installed properly...at the correct angles vertically and horizontally....the Hans Device will fit securely and feel secure.

From what I have seen, the 2"/3" shoulder belt setups work best but the 3" shoulder belt system work just fine. The shoulder belts need to come from slightly below and slightly from the inside...like the instructions say.

Scott
sure seems that way. my belts do come from slightly below the seat cut outs, and they go slightly up over the Hans too. the belts naturally take the width of the seat cut outs, as they are not anchored on the cage horizontal bar with the seat back bace between them.
i think my old seat has too much angle. this could be the problem.
thanks.
checking specs, angles and set up again now.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
....you would think there would be a lip or something to keep the belts from falling to the sides...
They do have a lip. At least mine does. What model did you buy?

Here is what I have:

http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/it.I/id.4...&category=3879

Do you see the lip at the top of the shoulder area?

Scott
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 AM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

first gen hans didnt have wings
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Mark,

Yea it does sound like something is amiss. What model did you get? All the current ones have the lips to keep the belts on top of the shoulder pads. Also only the 20degree model will work in a Porsche (unless you just upgraded to a spider ). Also the length of the tethers is very specific to the location of the mounts on the side of the helmet, they give you a precise location for installing these so the tether length shouldn't vary. I've only use HANS and like Joe said don't even notice it once the belts are all adjusted properly. If you liked the Hutchins why change? A lot of guys like the alternative devices. I was looking at the newer model of HANS with the rounded top, looks like it would be less likely to catch on stuff.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Mark, your geometry may be off. That will give you the feeling of loose and improper fit. The spacing between each belt and the external side belt slip containment of the belts connected to the cage is critical. Same goes for the angle of the belts to the seat eyelets and eyelets to the shoulders. And don't forget the angle of the subs in relation to the sub-eyelet. 20% angle IIRC. It would be wise to read and re-read the pamphlet that came with the Hans or check on Schroth's website.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my HANS back in 2005 (iirc) there was two version, touring cars or formula. The only difference if I understood it correctly was the neck plate angle on the HANS. Did you perhaps get the wrong version?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

There are also different degree (20 or 30 IIRC) HANS depending on the type of seat and/or your seating position. Even your upper body size may play into it. Had an informative seminar on HANS fitment yesterday by Stable Energies..
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
sure seems that way. my belts do come from slightly below the seat cut outs, and they go slightly up over the Hans too. the belts naturally take the width of the seat cut outs, as they are not anchored on the cage horizontal bar with the seat back bace between them.
i think my old seat has too much angle. this could be the problem.
thanks.
checking specs, angles and set up again now.
please take some pix of your setup. What do you mean about the shoulder belts.not going to the cross bar?

Did you purchase an older model Hans? The 650 seems to be a standard 20 deg but an older version. Do you have sliding tethers on yours? You mention ajusting the tether length. I suspect you have an older device without sliding tethers. If you have the old tethers I think you should update as they improve your ability to see side to side.

Quick Reply: hans device. first impression