Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
i measured, it is exactly 3" apart. (inside of the belt to the other belt) i even ring'ed it to make it closer to help, but its still far from acceptable in my mind. guess ill have to live with it, or someone will have to help me find out what im doing wong
thanks
Mark
At what distance? At the mounting point 10 inches behind your head? That's not what they recommend. They wnat it 3 inches apart 6-8 inches behind your head and not spread by the harness guides in your seat.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, I call BS on it being "only 5 years old". My HANS was made in very early 2005, and it has the raised edges that keep the belts in place. That make mine SEVEN years old. That "5" year old HANS you thought you bought is likely 8 or more years old...

Uh...I already added value, lunchbox, as your posts above acknowledge when you say "good points"
I was trying to be nice!

hey , you are right, its dated 2005.

Now, its still fine. sure a new one is better, but if someone has a old hans 650 from 2005, its stil legal. ive seen this on the shoulders of cup drivers all the time. it either works or it doesnt. its not a wear device. hmmm, guess it was designed bad if have to pitch it because it was designed bad.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
At what distance? At the mounting point 10 inches behind your head? That's not what they recommend. They wnat it 3 inches apart 6-8 inches behind your head and not spread by the harness guides in your seat.
yeah, my head is 1 " from the seat back, and the distance is the 6 " behind my head.they come out of the seat holes at 3" still too. its a straight shot.

Ill stop typing and start downloading pics.

thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

hey , you are right, its dated 2005.

Now, its still fine. sure a new one is better, but if someone has a old hans 650 from 2005, its stil legal. ive seen this on the shoulders of cup drivers all the time. it either works or it doesnt. its not a wear device. hmmm, guess it was designed bad if have to pitch it because it was designed bad.
Dated 2005?

Does the SFI certification label have a punch hole next to "date of manufacture" or "recertification?

Mine is from April 2005 and has the raised lips. I have a hard time believing yours was also made in 2005 yet does NOT have the raised lips. I suspect yours was recertified in 2005 but is much much older. And again, it is a "wear device" if it was involved in an accident and not recertified since 2005...or was partly ruun over by a race car trailer...or accidentally stepped on...etc.

But hey, it's YOUR head, not mine. I would never, ever buy a used HANS, especially one that is "only 5 years old" that turns out be closer to 10.....
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dated 2005?

Does the SFI certification label have a punch hole next to "date of manufacture" or "recertification?

Mine is from April 2005 and has the raised lips. I have a hard time believing yours was also made in 2005 yet does NOT have the raised lips. I suspect yours was recertified in 2005 but is much much older. And again, it is a "wear device" if it was involved in an accident and not recertified since 2005...or was partly ruun over by a race car trailer...or accidentally stepped on...etc.

But hey, it's YOUR head, not mine. I would never, ever buy a used HANS, especially one that is "only 5 years old" that turns out be closer to 10.....
yep, it was a bad call and its funny, the guy (who i know, but not realy friends with) thinks he had a bag of gold! i didnt even check the dates. I know his story, know he has been out of racing for a while, but didnt know how time has flown. I dont think it was recert, it looked like all the stickers were original

loading up the pics now.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here are the belts as they go through the seat
Attached Images    
Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Its hard to decribe without showing a video of the movement. normally, when im locked in, and i lean forward, you can see the suit and my skin are locked down. with the HANS, i do the same movement, and the lack of friction allows the belts to move on the surfaces of the HANS, and i can shift forward. Now, i have to admit, the seat is a little more reclinded that i would like and that is part of the problem. in fact, when i remember the containment seat i ran in a BMW, i would say , this problem would not be as bad or a problem at all.
when i post the pictures , you will see what im talking about.
This is what I don't understand. When I'm strapped in without Hans, I can barely move around in the seat. With the Hans there is no movement at all of my torso. I feel as a part of the car. It makes so much difference in my driving, because I don't have to use the wheel to help keep me solid in the seat.

From your description it seems like you have a lot of movement if you can lean forward. Because in a wreck any friction will be worthless to keep you in position.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Mark,

What is the width of your HANS at the base of your neck? That partly determines the belt width formula. By your picture your hans is about 9" from your harness bar. With a 160mm wide hans that would put your belts about 3/4" apart so your back brace would need to be repositioned. If you have the smaller 140mm hans the belts should be touching.

Hans has FIA sticker so you don't have to comply with 38.1 recerts with SCCA. But it is a good idea to replace teathers with the sliding teather and larger washers for $75 bucks. This is a diy thing unless you want to send the hans back for a recert too. If you got the FIA sticker you are good unless you suspect being run over by the trailer etc...

Also, you appear to have enough belt length. Increase the shoulder length so that the adjuster is between the tip of the hans tail and a point 2.75" from the hans tails. You do not want the adjuster as pictured. Your harness bar looks very close to the 20* limit. Measure it.

Your seat looks short for you and the head rest area does not appear to support you in a rear impact. I guess your helmet will be stopped by the cage but I would prefer layback built into the seat with proper support of the head as opposed to what looks like a seat tilted to fit the cockpit and compromising your safety support. Your safety in the car starts at having a seat that fits you.

I'm not a pro...so verify!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Mark,

What is the width of your HANS at the base of your neck? That partly determines the belt width formula. By your picture your hans is about 9" from your harness bar. With a 160mm wide hans that would put your belts about 3/4" apart so your back brace would need to be repositioned. If you have the smaller 140mm hans the belts should be touching.

Hans has FIA sticker so you don't have to comply with 38.1 recerts with SCCA. But it is a good idea to replace teathers with the sliding teather and larger washers for $75 bucks. This is a diy thing unless you want to send the hans back for a recert too. If you got the FIA sticker you are good unless you suspect being run over by the trailer etc...

Also, you appear to have enough belt length. Increase the shoulder length so that the adjuster is between the tip of the hans tail and a point 2.75" from the hans tails. You do not want the adjuster as pictured. Your harness bar looks very close to the 20* limit. Measure it.

Your seat looks short for you and the head rest area does not appear to support you in a rear impact. I guess your helmet will be stopped by the cage but I would prefer layback built into the seat with proper support of the head as opposed to what looks like a seat tilted to fit the cockpit and compromising your safety support. Your safety in the car starts at having a seat that fits you.

I'm not a pro...so verify!
yes, the seat needs to go, and thanks for the info. ill move the belt adjusters to be further down toward the tails, as im changing out the belts too, as they are expired this year anyway.

what is the 20" llimt??

thanks for the input!

Mark
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sundog
This is what I don't understand. When I'm strapped in without Hans, I can barely move around in the seat. With the Hans there is no movement at all of my torso. I feel as a part of the car. It makes so much difference in my driving, because I don't have to use the wheel to help keep me solid in the seat.

From your description it seems like you have a lot of movement if you can lean forward. Because in a wreck any friction will be worthless to keep you in position.

again, hard to explain, but remeber, i was in a high speed frontal crash and the belts worked fantastic, but was a very scary event. the belts held perfect. with the hans on, there is some movement, even strapped in very tightly. there is no movement with the belts and no hans. this is my concern.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

what is the 20" llimt??
He is talking about the 20 degree limit for the angle of the shoulder belts going from the Hans Device over you shoulder down to the bar where the shoulder belts attach.

Scott
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the seat has to much rake, the hans should be touching the head rest. You need a seat with more shoulder support also
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the seat, it looks like its very reclines, the belts are angling downwards to the bar. So, I can see that when tightening it creates a "pinch" on the driver without actually securing him in place, because once you recline further or slide down in your seat the HANS will get loose again. One thing I'd like to point out is that it appears that the belts are "hovering" in the seat slots. This will compound the problem.

Then, as already mentioned, no lips on the HANS. So it will tension-mount but thats it.

Finally, those look like wide-belts, not compatible with HANS, or at least they look like a ham-fisted fit. Do you get chafing on your neck? You shouldn't.

Put it all together and the whole setup looks wrong. The driver position makes me think you may need the Open-wheel (F1) HANS. But then the bar height, seat, everything, just doesn't look right. Honestly I would take the car to a race shop and get a hands-on expert to give suggestions.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Agree with all comments: entire set up is wrong. Seat too reclined & not the best choice of seats. Adjusters way too high. Etc. And I guarantee that HANS is a recert--no way it was manufactured in 2005 w/o a lip.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DAMMIT MARK. I've let this go for 2 days now.

For all of this, after all this time and after all of the threads in which you just tear loose...I respect you and your comments. Regardless of the way that you present your opinions, they are often grounded in solid fact, and if nothing else, well RESEARCHED.

Why the fark would you not do the same research when you jump into the safety game! Damn, man, even a rank newbie such as I can dive into the interweb and become as well informed about these devices as almost every soul here.

Giterdone man...damn.

Rant over.

Quick Reply: hans device. first impression