hans device. first impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND AGAIN,,,,,
Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
^^^^ the hans isnt the issue, if the seat is mounted correctly (like driving and not sleeping) all would be good. still could use a safer seat, doh.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

AND AGAIN,,,,,

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
here's a pic of a early hans (no wings)
if belts are falling off, theres something wrong with the seat,belt arrangement.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

AND AGAIN,,,,

[quote=4WHLDRFTN;9353788]Mark , if the belts and seat are correct, that style hans works fine.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Frankly... Why does a thread named "Hans device, first impression" even gets more than 1 reply in 2012???? That ship has sailed no?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort

look, dont use the manufacturers warnings. many of them are there to protect their butts. ...
These things are very light laminated composite devices, the seats, and helmets.

Having worked in aerospace for 25 years, I can tell you that it takes very little to do significant damage to composites, CF in particular. And some of the worst damage is delamination between the layers. This damage is not visible, and even small spots of damage can effect the stiffness of a structure like a seat significantly.

Of course warnings cover the manufacturer, but the advice is based on testing and experience.

That being said, it is your body, and you know what it is worth to you.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If you don't think HANS devices are effective, ask Elliott Sadler

His hit occurs at 1:39

Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

lets get back to the point. i have legal belts, new helmet, 2005 hans and the fit is not very good. a lot of slop in the set up and it all cant be blamed on the seat's angle. they have the right belt distance at the attachement point, correct angles and distances . yet, the straps can fall to the side without the newer version "wings". very disapointed of how un-secure the set up is. Ill do some testing with it before my next race and see how it works,. or i might just break down and get the replacement seat before hand. leaning that direction. point is, its a great invention but certainly needs the updates to be safe. its design had some major weaknesses or they wouldnt have changed it.. I see guys in the supercup series on TV all the time with the 650! just watch a taping of monaco GT3 supercup where the championship leader had a 650 in a TV closeup.
Mark, there IS a big difference in a seat designed for a H&N restraint and not. The Hans compatible seats are dished out behind the helmet so your shoulders can sit flat back against the seat without having to rotate the seat back to make room for the device, the product of which is your shoulders are high centered on your neck, they can roll side to side and the belts can fall off. Sound familiar? I would try a seat made for a device (every manufacturer makes them) I think you will be surprised what a difference it makes. Some seats are dished enough to get by but I found a big difference between non and Hans models of recaro pro and sparco seats...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Frankly... Why does a thread named "Hans device, first impression" even gets more than 1 reply in 2012???? That ship has sailed no?
Because it took this long for the geniuses at the SCCA to mandate it, apparently...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HANS devices are also designed for different styles of seating positions. If you drive production cars and lay down Formula or SRF you should plan on owning 2 HANS devices, they do have different needs and requirements.

As for Mark, he has made up his mind, he will do what he is going to do, my points at this time are more as informative posts for the other good Rennlist readers so they have references to judge what is proper to do for their application and do what they feel is correct. I don't recommend taking my opinion on what to do, too much liability for me, I do recommend doing what the people that built your seat, HANS device, harness, etc recommend. They designed, tested, and built the stuff and are insured accordingly, trust them, that's my 2 cents.

Hope everyone has a great evening !
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Because it took this long for the geniuses at the SCCA to mandate it, apparently...
Silly it took them so long isn't it.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think people need to excercise personal responsibility. In SoPac SCCA most of us used some kind of HNR. In fact I can't think of anyone driving without the sub $700 device. Most are HANS users. This year everyone else not wearing an SFI 38.1 HNR did so with zero fanfare because the rule really effected very few people. All year I have not heard one negative peep or racer who did not get the message and could not race. So IMO the SCCA racers got the message along time ago. For the most part we were all wearing them anyway. Because of that I hardly see why SCCA even needed the rule.

There are some who still shoot their guns without earplugs and there will be those with lesser racecar safety systems. I say lets not "beat" on those racers. Let's educate them so we don't loose racers.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

lets get back to the point. i have legal belts, .
But the adjuster is not within 2.75" of the hans tail

new helmet, 2005 hans and the fit is not very good. a lot of slop in the set up and it all cant be blamed on the seat's angle.

Actually it can. We know very small discrepancies makes the hans not work. You see... you are going through this in 2012. Most of us fought this battle 10 or more years ago.

they have the right belt distance at the attachement point, correct angles and distances . yet, the straps can fall to the side without the newer version "wings". .
It is not the wings. Wings help but they are not the end all be all of hans function. I'll take your word on your math. Your pictures do not look like the belt paths are correct by the book but you got the ruler.

very disapointed of how un-secure the set up is. .
At the risk of spending more of your money and making for an even harder belt path set-up consider the double shoulder belt HNAS harness. The 3" body belt make you feel all warm and fuzzy like pre-hans and a nonhans user can drive your car like for an enduro. And the 2" hans belts hold the hans. It is the best of all workds with slightly better hans function according to Dr. Hubbard himself. Most early hans haters were quick adopters of the vastly more popular 3/2 hans belts that improved non-crash hans function.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

but the most important thing with seat is comfort and position.
LOL! The most important thing in a seat is that it is the "critical foundation" of your safety system. I think this is why you are a race winner and I'm a back marker.

I think im a pretty good judge of what is good in a race car. Now, the area which the seat fails in my opinion, is that it is slightly too angled, and doesnt have enough side containment.
I will be switching out the the seat though. However this wont change the Hans fit that much . that is major on my mind. if anyone thinks they fit perfect, take the hans of and strap yourself in and see if the side to side movemement is the same or worse. its gong to be worse.
the hutchenes was a better fitting and functioning setup, but a pain to get on.
We all went through this too. You touched on an important topic....Containment! The hans was never designed to work on a bench seat but the monocoque of an open wheel car. It has been adapted to our tintop environment. The hans is saving lives because we build a safety system that works together. Full containment seats like seen in nascar optimize hans function. If you just want to be legal...you are legal. If you want to be safe that is something else. A racecar is a hot nasty environment. Comfort in a raceseat? I've never had comfort. There is nothing comfortable about my car. My BMW streetcar... that's comfortable. A containment seat may have prevented your rib break. I would trade 4 weeks of pain or the massive ouch when you sneeze with a broken rib for the extra $700 buks for a containment seat. As to the huchens that was an old device IIRC modified from the wright device. It was part of HNR evolution. It is not SFI38.1 and had poor repeatable crash data but tight straps made you feel good like filters on your cigarettes. There is the hutchens hybrid today for good reason. We have to remember the engineers do things for a reason that often is not visible to us lay people. While you and I playing this game are thinking like checkers we hope the engineers are thinking like chess.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Silly it took them so long isn't it.
Quite.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I think people need to excercise personal responsibility. So IMO the SCCA racers got the message along time ago. For the most part we were all wearing them anyway. Because of that I hardly see why SCCA even needed the rule.
Because "for the most part" does not mean "everybody". As the famous Cool Hand Luke line goes, "some men you just can't reach"...

BMW Club, PCA, and others mandated them a long time ago. The pros mandated them a LONG time ago. As usual, with the SCCA, like the government, there is often a furious cloud of activity, and 10 years later, something of merit that is produced.

Quick Reply: hans device. first impression